Beatles Mono VINYL Box Set - 8th September 2014 Release Date (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Cairo, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Don't get me wrong, I want the mono box. First of all, I never collected UK LPs, so this would be my first set. It sounds like they're going to be excellent, so I know the price won't be going DOWN in years to come. But I could probably get both Macca sets AND an Apple Years set for what the mono box is going to cost. Very tough choice to make...

2. I do have the Mono box from 2009 so that kind of makes up for it already, it's just the smell, and the feel of vinyl excites me more, it looks like i might now cancel my order but this will still probably be at the last minute, bloody Beatles and their box sets :)

3. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Which of the releases that we're talking about is "new music"?

4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Really? Seems like it would be an easy choice to me. One of those contains some of the best pop music ever made.

culabula and Mazzy like this.
  5. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

He means the unreleased alternates and demos on the new McCartney sets. I'm with Sean, if I have to choose, I'm going to pick the new McCartney sets and a Harrison set if it comes out. While I'm sure the new Mono set will be fantastic, I already own the originals and the 1981 red box so I'm all set really. Plus I own the Mono CD set and that really will get more listen time from me than the new vinyl set.

I want the new Mono set but I want the McCartney and Harrison sets more - YMMV.

supermd, lukpac and Sean Murdock like this.
  6. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Yes, but I already have the Beatles in Mono CD box, and the 2009 stereo box, and the 1992 mono Singles and EPs boxes. What I DON'T have are good-sounding CDs of Venus & Mars, Speed of Sound, Extra Texture, or Dark Horse, or any of the real or presumed unreleased bonus tracks. I also don't have $375 laying around. So yeah, it's an easy choice in the end.

supermd and lukpac like this.
  7. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

It's an even easier choice when you can't get ANY of them, including the separate mono lps. Anybody want to buy a kidney?. Only half-joking................

Maidenpriest likes this.
  8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

On many mono/stereo recordings that is true, that it is just a different mix. But there are some (like Helter Skelter) where they vary considerably, sometimes different takes were used for the mono and stereo, so they can be really different, so I think it's unfair to just call it a different mix. Plus there are many mono mixes around which have different instruments on them, for example there are Who and Zombies mono mixes with parts that were added directly to the mono mix and are not on the stereo mix.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As far as The Who goes, that's (apparently) true for something like the mono mix of Run Run Run or the 45 mix of I Can See For Miles, but contrary to popular believe, the missing Shel Talmy/My Generation overdubs were almost definitely made via 3-track bounces, and the tapes are just MIA.

10. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

It's a pity we don't have access to more notes...

Ben Sinise likes this.
  11. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

Regarding the "Think For Yourself" recording: I agree with whoever said it's just 4 tracks.

On the recording session tape you can hear the backing track (track 1) as they're trying to overdub vocals, and it's the three of them recording together (George doind the lead while Paul and John do the harmonies). They did this twice, then the 4th track was used for the rest of the overdubs.
    There's even a tiny bit where you can hear them singing "the future still looks good, and you've got time to rectify..." this bit was even used on the movie "Yellow Submarine" when they bring back Pepperland's mayor (?) to life by singing.

"Rock Band" vocal isolations are fun to listen and to play with, but are not exact copies of the 4 track tape. They clean it up a lot.

slane, Onder and lukpac like this.
  12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I did have to chuckle at the caption for the photo below which states "Clean conditions are used to avoid dirt and finger marks."
    Note the factory worker's left hand.

[​IMG]

Keith V and fortherecord like this.
  13. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I have cancelled my pre-order, for now. I spent money and time a few years ago tracking down UK mono originals in NM to EX condition but I wanted this box to compare them too plus it's a beautiful set. There's just too many great releases coming up for the rest of the year to spend money on records that I already own. I'm still tempted though, tough choice. I'd at least have to get the Past Masters records.

14. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I'm really surprised by some of the reservations about this box that I'm seeing here.
    I'm not made of money, but we've all had months to save up $350. I have the mono cd set, but these are all analog!!! Plus, I listen to vinyl more often than CDs. The PM sets will be around, and will get cheaper as time goes by. The mono set is supposedly limited and its value will most likely rise instead of depreciate. It's a no-brainer for me!

15. floyd

floyd Senior Member

but the tape dispenser is clean of fingerprints.

16. John76

John76 Forum Resident

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I was wondering about the dead wax information on these new mono LP's. Will there be a way of telling if what pressing you have? I know there was talk of numbering The White Album that came with the box set but what about the runoff info? I'll have to look at my 2012 stereo pressings...

17. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

I'm sure this new Mono Box set will be a feast for the eyes and ears. It definitely sounds like it's done right. I've had and cancelled a pre-order for it two times. I've just finally cancelled my pre-order again and I think I'll just let it go. As I said before I have the original UK mono Lps in good shape, the Red 1981 Mono Box set which sounds spectacular and the Mono CD Box set.

Vinyl isn't my main way of listening so for me anyway, I just can't justify buying the whole set again. I may buy one or two just to hear them after they're out but really since I listen to CDs mainly and I love the sound of the mono CD set - and the U.S. Albums CD set btw - I really don't feel bad passing this by.

Actually, the experience with the 2012 set also plays a part. I bought that set - a US copy - and had some issues with discs. I got those straightened out and also bought two UK EU pressings as well. Wouldn't you know one of THOSE had no-fill issues! Anyway, I love the 2012 set. I like that the Lps sound different with less compression. The less compression was the main draw for me and a very nice set but then again, I mainly still listen to CDs.

With all the other things coming out - the new McCartney discs, the Harrison box set, possibly a new McCartney "NEW" disc, the expanded Monkees first album set in November, there's just not enough cash for me to go around.

I hope everyone who buys the set loves it, enjoys it, plays it often and savors it!!!

chacha likes this.
  18. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident

I have known about this set for several months now. I don't own UK mono originals or any other good mono pressings other than heavily played copies. I will not be canceling my pre-order and look forward to this release. I will also be purchasing other releases this year that look appealing to me.

Millington likes this.
  19. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

Yeah, wouldn't it be great if the book in the mono set contained the master tape box photos like the old MFSL stereo set?

Alex Zabotkin and jamiesjamies like this.
  20. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

I'm still in for this box and the McCartney releases (both deluxe and vinyl). I have sold a drum set to pay for them however!
    FWIW- Rogers Blue Sparkle Cleveland 20/12/16 (Kept the snare).
    I agree that the Mono box will probably be harder to get in the coming years rather than the McCartney.

21. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I sold my Jazz Bass! I don't play now, but I WILL play these LPs. :)

Blue Cactus, sambamaster and Mazzy like this.
  22. Further

Further Forum Resident

I have the EU Stereo Vinyl Box Set (which was flawless) and the Mono CD Box Set already but what is selling me on this new Mono Vinyl Set is the fact that it's all analog and the attention to detail and care that is being put into it will make it worth it. It's really not that much money for what you get but if you don't have it, you don't have it. I will make sacrifices elsewhere in my life to afford it because I know I will regret it when I miss out and the price goes through the roof.

I'm also really looking forward to the George Harrison box and that's a must-buy for me. I'll pass on the McCartney.

23. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Imarcq,
    Nice bass!
    I have plenty more sets so it's not a big deal, but I can't wait for September! (Kept a pristine Rogers Cleveland 20/12/14 in WMP anyway.)

imarcq likes this.
  24. Just buy two less Neil Young LPs. There's your money :tiphat:

25. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I think I'm spotting a theme with all the overpriced Neil Young vinyl! ;)

Mazzy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.