Beatles Mono VINYL Box Set - 8th September 2014 Release Date (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Cairo, Aug 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

spartanmanor likes this.
  2. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Excellent! Thread a la massive.....

3. multichamp201

multichamp201 Forum Resident

By the end of this we shall have the box sets!

4. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Excellent question from esteemed member Clonesteak: "Does this box set come with a download code?"
    This will never happen, but nice high-res files from the analogue masters? Nice idea!

Clonesteak likes this.
  5. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Is this available on cassette as well?

6. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

The first thing I shall do on 8th September is make my own high res files.

96k 24bit sounds about right.

hazard, Paul H and Yovra like this.
  7. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Bugger that, I want to know if they'll be available on CD!

Oh, wait...

:D

fogalu likes this.
  8. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

I'm still waiting for the 8 Track

9. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

Or 78 RPM. How many records would you need for that?

morinix and mikrt17 like this.
  10. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

this is very confusing i was trying to reply to posts on Decca contracts and inners on part 5 doh !!!

Devilscucumber and morinix like this.
  11. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Would The Beatles have intended that?

12. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

Hi Muffmasterh, regarding the inner sleeve I mentioned late last night, I'm afraid I've no idea how to upload photographs, sorry. All I can tell you is that the inner sleeve is plain white, no writing on it at all, with the centre circle cut out so the labels can be read. The outer sleeve is a Garrod and Lofthouse one & the LP is Please Please Me mono 5 th press with recording First Published 1963.

I have had the album in my possession all that time, I was 10 at that time & I was with my dad when he bought it from a music stall at Bury indoor market. The couple ran the stall for many years 'till they retired a while ago.

13. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate the advice of some Beatles experts. I've got the 2009 remasters (Stereo) on CD.
    I'm really not that familiar with the whole Beatles history. Is the Vinyl Mono set the way to best appreciate their work?
    It's a pretty big investment for me so I need to be sure about it.

Any help from Beatles historians would be greatly appreciated.

Nice un-boxing on YouTube.

Kind Regards

14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

There's a tremendous amount of information and opinions on this forum about this that could give you many hours of entertaining reading.

mrjinks likes this.
  15. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

You are probably going to get lots of answers (or not...) I'll give it a go in a nutshell...
    Mono was the way ''to go'' for most of the Beatles' albums; 'stereo' was a bit of a novelty in pop-music in the early-to-mid-60's. The result is that a lot more care and thought got into the mono-mixes. The 2-and-4-track recordings could be used for stereo-releases, but an ugly stereo-image is the result. Things got better with 4-track-recordings (For Sale, A Hard Day's Night have decent stereo-mixes), but the experimentations with double-tracking and dubbing were audibly stretching the recording technology for albums from Rubber Soul onwards. In my opinion these are the albums that sound far better in mono:
    • Please Please Me
    • With The Beatles
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Sgt. Pepper's
    • The Mono Masters
    The rest is a matter of personal taste, I think. Another factor is that this is the analogue masters were used. So possibly for a lot of the albums this could be the best sounding option. If I were you I'd try one or two single releases...but that's ,of course, up to you.

16. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

So if we rush through Part 6 we get them early? :D

Jayseph and Clonesteak like this.
  17. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

Thanks, Yorva. Appreciate your advice.

18. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Yes

daveidmarx likes this.
  19. muffmasterh

thanks for the info, i can't be certain without seeing it....do you think the music stall was selling it second hand ?...if not my best guess is that that stall replaced the inner for some reason, cannot explain why though, there were some inners like that in use at the time, I think possibly PYE were using some that were like that ( although it was not their inner of main choice ) and of course USA LP's used this type of inner a lot. Inners would also have been available to buy from certain music outlets or mail order but it is a mini mystery !

20. muffmasterh

This is a great post, i like all the stereo mixes but I'd love you to cut and paste this post on the " did the Beatles prefer mono " thread as it backs up what i have been trying to say, mono was the dominant format in the UK until late 68 and so it would be the mono mix they would obviously more interested in for practical reasons !

kipper15 and Yovra like this.
  21. muffmasterh

all personal taste am afraid, for me no, for many others i am sure it is yes.

22. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

It's actually less expensive to buy the albums individually. For the beginner Beatles aficionado, why not start with a few individual albums, as someone else suggested.

23. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

Well, I'll probably wait a little anyway. The recent Japanese CD Box Set dropped by a third in price on Amazon recently. I think it reverted back to normal price now.

24. gibtti

gibtti Senior Member

I've just got the new Black to Black vinyl reissue of Shaved Fish. One thing I've noticed is that it uses repro Apple labels with original outer rim text. I wonder why the Beatles vinyl reissues haven't been done the same way. It would've been a nice touch.

Chris

[​IMG]

25. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Why couldnt they have used the USA Apple label. I think it looks a lot smarter than UK. All that writing round the edge. USA looks more steamlined & cleaner.

joelee, imarcq and daveidmarx like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.