Beatles Mono VINYL Box Set - 8th September 2014 Release Date (Part 7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Cairo, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

2. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

As I concluded the previous part, I never be happy knowing I have an inferior sounding reissue. I can never fully enjoy it.

And yes there are agendas and bias with first pressings, the "warm and tubey" > "clear and detailed" brigade, and made up audiophile words like "creaminess" and very wrong statements like worn out grooves causing improved sound.

3. Spaceman, Tubes are great for listening. But SS, when done right, bring out the microscopic. And Fermer used a tube system that was approaching a SS sound.

4. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

They are not going to be worse. That's not what Mikey was saying at all. Whatever way you want to cut it the originals are out of most folks price range - an 82 red mono box is well over $1000 - getting all of them - redone with minute precision, even if they may be slightly different - for 350 bucks is god send.

5. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Peter Pyle and morinix like this.
  6. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Deep breath time here. The one thing that bothers me about the Fremer review is his crapping on the sound quality of the mono CD box which, if I recall correctly, got unanimous raves here, including by my ears. Mikey's entire shtick is that vinyl sounds way better than CDs. Period. I sincerely hope these mono vinyl reissues beat the snot out of those CDs, but I'm a little skeptical here, since to conclude otherwise would undermine his reason de ĂȘtre. Plus, why must he listen on a system that cost more than any of our houses?
    Still, looking forward to hearing about the ticker tape parade that they gave Fremer in New York when he brought back an acetate of the yet to be released With the Beatles. In the Canyon of Heroes, natch.

7. The Spaceman

If the original sounds better than the reissue sounds worse. Out of people's price ranges or not (and we put them out of our price ranges ourselves by paying the high prices) I can never enjoy a record knowing that it is inferior sounding to a previous issue.

Peter Pyle likes this.
  8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Then don't buy them. Save yourself the grief. And find another thread to complain

9. I don't think you are going to have this problem if you are looking for sonic detail in the recordings.

10. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

9's and 8's? Starting off as a hard marker. I give the music of PPM a 10 so I'm already ahead.

11. And 82 are not even the originals. Way beyond

12. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

This is where my interest lies. I have a complete NM set of the British 82 pressings. I'm hoping these new issues will be better than the 82's. Originals are WAY out of my league, price wise.

13. These remasters will be a pinnacle achievement in the Beatles universe.

14. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Oh well. :( You may have to move on from that stance though

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I bet you're a barrel of laughs at parties.

Seriously, though, if this set gets me 95% of the way to a collection of mint UK originals, I'll somehow deal with the pain of knowing I could have done better, while enjoying the extra several thousand dollars in my bank account.

16. But I don't care what anyone says, I don't think an original will sound better than these unless you were to have a never before ever played set. Different but not better and most likely not as quiet.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  17. Tombby

Tombby Forum Resident

I was raised on stereo & wanted to like the pricey mono box but I was disappointed. I couldn't get immersed in the mixes. It just sounded dull. I was happy to see MF mentioned a similar response.

"spatially and emotionally the CD is flat. Nothing reaches out and grabs you. It's all behind a spatial, if not tonal scrim as if you are watching from a distance and not experiencing it directly. "

(Older post summery) I found an old Capitol mono 45 of "You Know My Name" compared it to the Mono CD. The 45 had presence. The CD's sounded like too much was subtracted. It had nothing to get excited about it.

Amazon finally emailed shipping info & arrives anywhere from the 16 to the 24th. Please everybody post early & often.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    bluemooze, mihu and morinix like this.
  18. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I'm here

Tombby likes this.
  19. The Spaceman

Seeing as its the Capitol Mono its just the surface noise. That's what was subtracted. It's dull because you're used to that Capitol distortion and pressing problems.

20. Bill

Bill Senior Member

"It's all behind a spatial, if not tonal scrim as if you are watching from a distance and not experiencing it directly."
    Consumer alert: I just compared my British first issue mono vinyl with the mono CD from the 2009 box. Got no scrims here, and, spatially and emotionally, they both sound fine. I haven't read nonsense like this since they convinced me to paint my CDs green.
    Want to believe this stuff? Knock yourself out.

21. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Whats 'scrim' ?

22. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

scrim
    skrim/
    noun
    1. strong, coarse fabric, chiefly used for heavy-duty lining or upholstery.
      • THEATER
        a piece of gauze cloth that appears opaque until lit from behind, used as a screen or backdrop.
        plural noun: scrims
      • a heatproof cloth put over film or television lamps to diffuse the light.

seaisletim likes this.
  23. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

A scrim is a large, thin and translucent curtain. When light is projected from in front onto the scrim, it looks like a sold wall. Turn off the light, it turns invisible which allows theatrical trickery in scene changes/transitions.

24. The Spaceman

A fabric. They're trying to sound intelligent by using colorful terminology to simply say they think it sounds like it has a veil over it.

25. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Ohhh... :shake: well yes - far too pretentious :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.