Beatles Mono VINYL Box Set - 8th September 2014 Release Date

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whaiyun, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

ADD sounds good for this forum.

;)

Mark_TB, nesboy43 and funkydude like this.
  2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Amazon.com has dropped the price $0.07! Now just $409.21!

:D

coffeetime and Simon A like this.
  3. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

Even if you pre-order elsewhere, there's no harm in keeping your Amazon pre-order active, providing you cancel before it ships. Might want to check the pre-order terms of other retailers though as you may be more locked in than you would with Amazon.

The Amazon UK price is comparatively high but I'm sure it'll drop a bit before release. I just notified them that the Beatles.com has it at £288. Hopefully if enough people do that it might effect the price.

4. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

´
    yes, but Beatles.com charge 30£ in shipping, Amazon uk only 5£. To Denmark that this.

5. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

For the new pressings this is understandable, but the info is that they used the Ortofon Black to listen to the original first pressings.

6. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

Thanks for this. I had no idea a mono cartridge was advised for mono records. There's no way I'd want to switch cartridges every time I put these on, or mess around behind the amp with cables. So I guess I'm wondering how much worse it would sound playing through a stereo cartridge. I love vinyl but this kind of stuff drives me nuts!

7. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

I didn't realise they charged £30 to ship! The Amazon UK price doesn't look so bad after all. Thanks for that.

8. Harty_88

Harty_88 Forum Resident

Got my order in on Amazon UK. I own EX copies of all UK originals(including a black and gold ppm) except BFS and Rubber Soul which are a little more beat up, but to get the whole lot brand new and possibly just as good sounding for around £300 is a bargain to me!

goat65cars likes this.
  9. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

MONO ON STEREO CARTS

I think there are a lot of people who, because of youth or whatever, don't understand some things about mono records.

1. sound will come out of two channels. It's just that it will be the identical sound from the left and the right. There's no 'missing' channel. What's missing is stereo information, that is, different sounds coming out of different speakers.

2. you can play a mono record with a stereo cart. People have been doing it for decades. In fact, at the start of the stereo era in the early 1960s record companies were advertising that your mono record will sound better through a stereo cart

So why use a mono cart?

I use mono carts because the mono records I play sound better with them. They were designed to not respond to the vertical axis, as well as incorporating some other design elements to improve mono playback.

But I have a bunch of mono records I love. Lots. They deserve a mono cart, but I'm a pretty fairly dedicated hobbyist with this stuff. Not to the expert level many around here are, but I'd say more than the average person.

If you want to start on the road to mono with the Beatles releases with out going the mono cart route, then find a way to sum the channels.

But it's not necessary to do. You can play the records on your stereo player.

They just might sound better if the channels are summed.

nesboy43, Paully and coffeetime like this.
  10. EdogawaRampo

My guess is they will sound great.

Just better with some mono gear.

I doubt more than a fraction of the buyers will have mono playback gear, so I don't think there's reason to get to wrapped up in it. If you're stereo setup sounds good, the mono records will sound good. As I wrote elsewhere, mono records will sound better with mono gear. That doesn't mean they'll sound bad with stereo gear.

nesboy43 and Paully like this.
  11. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

If you are in some sort of DSP setting, you are most likely converting to digital for that!! You need to find some sort of Bypass mode where the analog signal gets passed straight through.

12. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

I do think these mono records (sony/legacy/sundazed etc.) are tested to play with stereo equipment, if there were any concerns regarding this they would (should) inform customers about it. I normally use a Y-cable If the mono doesn't sound right to me through stereo speakers, but normally it works just fine.

13. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Steve Hoffman wrote a post with the title "A reminder, if you have a turntable you need to play your mono records in MONO; how?"
    explaining what you need to know about playing mono records on a stereo system.

14. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

Hi thanks for all the info on this. Much appreciated!

15. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

and "YMMV" :)

16. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Absolutely - I thought exactly the same thing.

17. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

I thought since 1960-something almost all mono albums were cut with a stereo lathe, eliminating the need for a mono cart or button.

Can we get a definitive answer to this question: all else being equal, will modern mono records sound better with a mono cart?

18. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Preordered mine, thanks to all here...............got to get saving but it'll be worth it.............

19. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

:pineapple: Woke up this morning and saw this thread is still here! I wasn't just dreaming! Beatles AAA mono vinyl is still happening! :pineapple:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    groovelocked, coffeetime and ParloFax like this.
  20. EdogawaRampo

Should have written ADD. Or was it AAD? Can't remember.

21. EdogawaRampo

I have mono reissues from the 80s and 90s that sound better with a mono cart. Trying to think if I've got something later than that...but that's "modern" for all intents and purposes. In fact, I think anything after about 1967 is 'modern' mono.

I have a ca. 1972 RCA mono comp of Mikey and Sylvia's classic 50s tracks. Sounds better with a mono cart.

They just do in my experience.

I know there are quite a few people here that will have had the same experience as I have.

Jtycho likes this.
  22. 1/4 inch? OK.

23. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Hopefully these are a success and Bowie AAA will be next.

24. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

My guess is that they will cut these records in mono using a stereo lathe, so they should be played with a stereo cartridge, but summed to mono. I don't think that anyone has made a true mono record for many decades. I could be wrong about that, though.

25. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Don't worry about it at all. A true mono cart is uncommon these days and quite expensive. Stereo carts wired for mono are available but likewise are probably more than most would want to pay.

The Y cable is a good work around - read Steves thread and you'll get all the info.

But really, dont bother - modern mono records are not cut the same way as 60's mono's and the groove is the same as a stereo groove - just has identical information on both sides and being all nice a new there wont be (hopefully) any noise floor to reduce (which summing the channels goes along way achieve).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.