Beatles mono VINYL box set (Part #14)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I fully agree with this. Until my late teens when I went to the UK for a month and was able to find lots of nice 60's, 70's and 80's pressed vinyl, I had no idea what I was missing. I would play the Capitol Something New LP and then play the AHDN Parlophone LP I bought in the UK, and was stunned at how quieter the vinyl itself sounded.

Not only do the Howlett exerpts on the Beatles Mono website evoke images of the 1960's ("hearing the music booming on a coffee house jukebox", for one), these records in their physical and sonic form bring back a time that's not easily found anymore.

fishcane, Eamon Lonergan and Bolero like this.
  2. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

I ordered my box from Amazon this past Sunday and it arrived yesterday, is this an amazing age we are living in or what??!!

Excellent packaging, box is in PRISTINE condition. Time for the white gloves...

[img=http://s23.postimg.org/u4yztb9nf/Beatles_Mono_Gloves.jpg]
    20mb image hosting

All of the LP's are Flat, except for The White Album's LP 1, it has a very slight warp. Does not affect play.

All of the spindle holes are tight, except the last 2 LP's of the MONO masters, they won't go in. I'll work on that later.

Listened to the first song of side 1 on each LP and I am very happy! Listening through my less than audiophile system and I am dancing with joy! I feel like a kid again!

Great job to all involved with this labour of love!!

3. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

One thing I don't get - why include those German versions on Mono Masters and if you were going to - put them at the end! On cd it's less of an issue but on vinyl that's just ludicrous.

Gavinyl, mikrt17 and Turbo2k like this.
  4. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

oh, a wise guy ay?!

5. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Ah, he's a victim of circumstance!

JamesD1957 and Keith V like this.
  6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

They are not just the normal track with a German vocal added, they are different versions, so I guess for completeness sake they decided to include all 'released' mono tracks. I agree though, I have no need for them. But you can guarantee that if they had not included them then plenty of people here would complain.

Gavinyl, e.s. and Ash76 like this.
  7. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Wow ... this just says it all for me. *respect*

"When I was asked to be involved with The Beatles' mono LPs, I said "Do you have the original tapes?", because I believe in what the artist and producer did. They made records that changed the world, and I don't have a better idea than The Beatles and George Martin. We should follow the path the artist and producer intended. So I thought we'll just find out what tapes they used and try to do exactly what they did. Especially now, when vinyl seems to have made a return to the general public and is sought after, why would you make a pretend record or an approximation - rather than a real record?" - Sean Magee, page 103 of the mono LP book

8. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

[​IMG]

Gavinyl and raveoned like this.
  9. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I don't have the box set, so items like this are brand new to me. What I like is that Sean Magee completely "gets it". He knows what is to be expected from a reissue of this magnitude and how easy it could be to drop the ball and not have a good result.

Gavinyl, forthlin and Joey_Corleone like this.
  10. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

It's not a greatest hits collection. It's the entire mono catalog. And Mono Masters is in (mostly) chronological order.

And it's actually less of an issue on the LP. Just start that side at the 3rd track if you don't like those songs.

11. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Will you take off your hat?!?!?!?!

Bertly and howlinrock like this.
  12. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Also this...lol, so awesome

"Here we are in a room - formerly Harry Moss's room - and it's like we're rewriting the text of The Bible, so we sure had better get the punctuation right or there will be a completely different meaning for the listeners compared to the historic intent. That's the seriousness with which we took this" - Steve Berkowitz

13. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Sit down ....

14. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

I also don't understand the inclusion of the German versions but I disagree about the placement at the start of the disc. At least they're easy to skip this way - just move the needle two bands in before you drop!

crispi and Adam9 like this.
  15. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I like the new mono better than my Horzu

16. alsqpk

alsqpk Forum Resident

If I'm reading the Mono Masters liner notes correctly, "Only a Northern Song" is presented in the same true MONO mix on all of the 2009, 2012, and 2014 CD and vinyl reissues, stereo and mono boxes alike. And that mix was never available anywhere before 2009, but could only be heard in a fake stereo mix or in a fold-down of that fake stereo mix. Correct?

So the only difference between the version on MM and the 2012 stereo vinyl Yellow Submarine is the AAA mastering?

crispi likes this.
  17. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Shouldn't that say 'Pruned' out on the Beeattles.
    the beaeeeeeve

morinix likes this.
  18. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

No its the 1969 mono mix that hadnt been used. MM is mono - 2012 stereo YS is ummm..stereo. o_O

OANS has its true mono début on the MM CD in 2012 and its vinyl analogue début on the 2014 vinyl MM.

19. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Yes.

20. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Sorry, I didn't. I was just concerned about this gents record.

21. :doh:

22. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Well, it was worth the wait. After ordering from Amazon Canada on June 17 I finally got my box yesterday (that would be seven days after the official release date). Every record and insert is in the right sleeve. They are warp and scuff free with correct labels. The box has a small (1.5 cm) lump on the lid (probably glue) that has been papered over and the insert for Beatles For Sale has a slight dog-ear. No complaints.

As an added bonus I just received an email stating that because of the pre-order guarantee I'm getting 4 cents (3 cents savings + 1 cent tax) back!:p

Gavinyl, Ash76 and morinix like this.
  23. helter

helter Forum Resident

You bet ya... the whole project would be a failure then !!;)

24. alsqpk

alsqpk Forum Resident

9/9/14: The day we paid $336 for MONO and $0 for BONO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.