Beatles mono VINYL box set (Part #15)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If it doesn't effect sound why return? People are getting too picky about vinyl.

rxcory, mihu, crispi and 5 others like this.
  2. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

No need for pics and no, you should not.

bluemooze and Huck Caton like this.
  3. Onder

Onder Senior Member

When I'm 64 is sped up (C#) on my original stereo UK pressing, just as on every other stereo reissue. Both mono and stereo mixes of this song has always been sped up. The guy must have confused When I'm 64 with She's Leaving Home.
    She's Leaving Home is in E on stereo album, sped up to F during mono mixing.

Ondra

Huck Caton likes this.
  4. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

Damn....That's the thing, too....The stylus in my old Stanton was still a couple of months away from having to be changed (not quite at the 9-month mark). Then again, I'm not sure how properly aligned it ever was. In any event, I have played MMT, With The Beatles, Please Please Me, The White Album, and Revolver at least 4 times apiece so far, and they are probably the best-sounding, cleanest-playing titles in the whole set, with little to no NO IGD to be found anywhere. Only the last 2 cuts on Rubber Soul, Mono Masters, A Hard Day's Night and Help! are the trouble spots. Guess I'd better start saving to buy separate replacements of those, eh? As for my tonearm setup, I've got the tracking weight set at 2.5 grams (Just a LITTLE past the cart's absolute limit; the 1.75 force wouldn't work, and even 2.0 was too weak a setting, given the headshell's thickness), and my anti-skate maxed out at -3. [​IMG] [​IMG] Here are a couple of photographic examples to show what I'm talking about, as far as the setup with my new cart.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...=pcb.10152348858446360&type=1&theater https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...9560096360.413155.717561359&type=3&permPage=1

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  5. Vinyl Dude

6. Vinyl Dude

And I see that the pics did not load. UGH!!!! Does this to me everytime I try to include a pic of anything on this forum!

7. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

8. Vinyl Dude

9. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Only too glad to help, that's what we're here for....

For anyone else struggling......

You need an image hosting Program such as Flickr.....

1. Go to your Flickr "Photostream"
    2. On the bar where it says "ANother's Pics" look to the right and click EDIT (Next to Photo books)
    3. A new page will show images for editing
    4. Left click on the required image
    5. In the bottom right hand corner near the enlarged image is an arrow pointing downwards with a line underneath it, Click on it
    6. All the different image sizes are displayed so click on VIEW ALL SIZES
    7. Right click on that image and click "Copy Image Location"
    8. Then on SHTV copy the image location into the URL bar that comes up when you click the photo icon (the location of the image must end in ".jpg")
    9. OK it and the image should be displayed.

10. Vinyl Dude

I will keep that in mind for future reference. I do have an account with Shutterfly, so maybe that would help all the same. In the meantime, I chose to leave a link to a pic on FB as a quick route for now.

hodgo likes this.
  11. Vinyl Dude

I'm listening to "Rain" from "Mono Masters"...and OMG...It just sounds like TOAST b/c of the IGD in John's vocals....I think there IS a chance that it's been ruined....:cry::shake:

12. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Welll...not to put to fine a point on it but that whole set up is pretty jury rigged to accommodate the Ortofon. Not that there's anything wrong with that :winkgrin:but I would swap the old Sony HS and get a brand new lightweight aluminium one and start again. You have shims and spacers and the screws are too long - any one of them could be the culprit. New HS is about 15 bucks if that.

Just out of interest why did you get an Ortofon as opposed to say an Audio Technica - the lower profile of the AT would have suited your set up admirably for about the same cost.

13. Vinyl Dude

I'd had my eye on the Omega for sometime now, and one of the things that attracted me to it was the price point (under $35). I've read almost nothing but very glowing reviews on it, as being an EXCELLENT as well as AFFORDABLE cart. And since I don't have plastic to order anything online, I bought one that my local music store had in stock. Unfortunately, the music store I bought my Omega from doesn't do returns/exchanges on Phono carts, needles or accessories NOR do they carry AT (and my local record store, which only carries AT carts within a price range of $40, can't get me an AT-120E). In any case, you may have made a good point about my setup. Now, ironically, I'm spinning my 2010 reissue of JH's "Electric Ladyland", which has been halfway played to death, and-unlike the aforementioned IGD-ravaged titles from the Mono Beatles box, it is COMPLETELY 100% IGD free. But regardless, I will keep your suggestion for the headshell change in mind, and not rule out the future possibility of further upgrading to a cartridge with a lower profile, even putting my Stanton 500 back on if I absolutely MUST!

Your input is DEFINITELY appreciated. Thanks a bunch, man!!!:pineapple::tiphat::wiggle::agree:

14. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

No problemos :)

Now if your local music store has Ortofon carts prob has HS's as well. If they do I'd take the whole HS assembly you have now in with you to the store and get a really good match for the Ortofon and assemble it there. What else I'd do is take your MM in and play Rain on one of their TT's (presumably they have one) and see if there really is any IGD.

15. Vinyl Dude

Good suggestion. But unfortunately, they don't really have any kind of specialization in phonos and accessories, other than DJ stuff (and they have no TT's set up there, either). They mostly are a music store in the sense that they carry drums, guitars, P.A., lighting, and related accessories, for the most part, and their carts are hidden away inside a glass display case at the front counter (I had to point out to the sales girl where they were before she could find them). In fact, there's pretty much NO place in my area, a'la Needle Doctor, which would be able to accommodate me in that department.

16. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Where are you?

17. Vinyl Dude

Near Daytona Beach, Florida.

18. Vinyl Dude

Oh, and GET THIS!!!!!!! I've got on my EU-pressed 2012 STEREO reissue of "Beatles For Sale", which has been played a goodly number of times since I upgraded from the Rainbo pressing in my black box about a month or so after I got said box, and it sounds CLEAR as a bell, even with the Jury-rigged setup....I had thought for the longest time that were minor IGD issues in places with this copy, but as I spin it in conjunction with the new Omega, there is NO IGD to be heard. And so, the agonizing question remains: Should I concede and accept that maybe the aforementioned titles in my Mono box were worse pressings than I'd suspected, ruined or WHAT?! This is REALLY becoming a puzzlement here! But whatever the case may be, I have decided once and for all that I WILL be shopping around for a new headshell ASAP! In the meantime, I'm almost AFRAID to play the albums in my mono box that AREN'T terribly affected (or affected at all) by IGD, at least until I resolve the whole Headshell situation and whatnot.

19. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Right now were getting somewhere. Have you tried the Y cabling or does your amp have a mono switch?

And the anti skate at -3 is a bit much - you are shoving the needle into that wall having that much going on. Its meant to be neutral or ever so slightly pushing in. Ease it off a ways - Its supposed to be the same as the weight - try the weight at the recommended 1.75 and put the anti skate on 1.75/2 and see what happens.

20. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

21. Vinyl Dude

I followed your Anti-skate adjustment suggestion, and used the recommended tracking force. Again, I don't know if it's a mismatch issue with the headshell, but I heard some mistracking going on where there hadn't been prior, so I had to bump the tracking force back up to at least 2.2 grams. That, with the re-adjusted anti-skate, seems to be doing the trick. As for my amp, it is a 90's Sony model with no Mono switch. And though I have no "Y" cable, perhaps that's something I should also consider investing in sooner or later.

22. Vinyl Dude

I try to stay as far away from Ebay as I possibly can, to be honest with ya. And, like I said, I have no Paypal, no plastic and therefore, no way of really buying anything online at this point. LOL! But perhaps just a cursory look at this link will give me an idea of what I would need to go with as a replacement headshell. Come to think of it, I may have spotted a handful of Aluminum Numark headshells in stock at the store from where I bought my Omega. Methinks a return trip is in order here!

23. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

24. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Directly from Lewisohn:

The remixes of 'When I'm Sixty-Four' done on 29 December and marked best
    for the UK and US did not satisfy Paul. He suggested that they scrap all
    previous mixes and start again, speeding up the new mix to raise it by as much
    as a semitone, a big difference. Geoff Emerick thinks Paul may have wanted his
    vocals to take on a more youthful air, as if he were, say, a 16-year-old looking
    forward to being 64. Certainly when the stereo remix was made, as far away as
    17 April 1967, Richard Lush – the tape operator on that session – remembers
    George Martin being incredulous at how much the mono mix had been speeded
    up. "He kept saying 'Surely it can't have been that fast'?". It was, and anybody
    with the luxury of today's vari-speed record turntables or tape machines can hear
    the song at the right speed if they so wish.

Vinyl Dude likes this.
  25. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

There ya go ! They would be just about right too. Have a read through that VTA stuff as well. Swapping carts out can be straightforward but everything needs to be square and straight and aligned and so forth or sound issues will arise !

Vinyl Dude likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.