Beatles mono VINYL box set (Part #15)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Thanks, John. That's ANOTHER choice; Macca CDs first or vinyl?. Oy...................

John Murray likes this.
  2. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yes, I have the 2012 box set remaster version which does not sound as good as the German - not close. Other than that just have early 70's Capitol issues which can't compete with these as we all know.

corr64 likes this.
  3. teag

teag Forum Resident

Agree to a point. On some mono LP's one can hear as much detail as on a stereo. On others, the mono is muddy compared to the mono. This one is the ladder.

4. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

Yes it is. Unfortunately, as the story goes, the original master of the Ringo version was destroyed and discarded by EMI almost immediately after the single hit shops, as they didn't think the tapes would be needed any more past that point (and let's remember that, upon their initial signing to Parlophone, the boys were regarded by the bigwigs at EMI Central just as Parlophone itself was at the time: a LOW prioroity; they did LITLE, in fact, to even promote "Love Me Do"). So, from all I've read, in each instance of its re-release (first on the 1980 "Rarities" comp, Past Masters, and so on), a clean, original U.K. single (processed and filtered to get rid of as much surface noise as possible) had to be used in the mastering process.

corr64 likes this.
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

"Ladder" is slang for sounding like mud.........

superstar19, vadthebad and Vinyl Dude like this.
  6. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Hey man. Big congrats on that :)

7. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Thanks, kim. It's going to be strange actually having money in my pocket. I doubt it'll be there for long, though.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Not with these LPs still in the bins, waiting to be purchased.

morinix likes this.
  9. vadthebad

vadthebad Well-Known Member

Speaking of "the ladder", the worst of it is in some parts of Help!, BFS, and WA, IMHO.

10. teag

teag Forum Resident

Agree. To me the WA is full of ladder. Much prefer the stereo UK cut from the early 80's.

11. vadthebad

Yes. However, if I just listen to the music, not trying to compare (concentrate on) the "sound quality", the mono versions sound more natural to me, anyway. Except for Side 1 of "Help!" which bugs me the most.
    PS
    BTW, the stereo version of "She Said, She Said" sounds a bit edgy, compared to the mono which is the best to my ears.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    John Murray likes this.
  12. Decided to buy the vinyl box set after all, and received it today.

All albums have this "mastering info leaflet", correct? Mine is missing from "A Hard Day's Night", and it should be there, right?

The 3-LP "Mono Masters" doesn't have a leaflet either, but I assume there isn't supposed to be one.

My "White Album" is quite heavily warped (not extreme, but more than tolerable in my opinion), Three more albums (Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery and the first LP of Mono Masters) are also warped more than I like, but not as bad as the "White Album". One or two other ones are a little bit warped but still tolerable.

Also, the white cardboard box was not sealed when I got it. There is a thin carboard slipcase around the sturdy box, and the albums are in the individual re-sealable sleeves (except for Mono Masters, that one was just shrinkwrapped), but there was no seal around the whole box. Is that normal? I ordered in Germany.

corr64 likes this.
  13. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Not my experience, all my records are perfectly flat (don't mean to gloat) - paid £275 from What Records in the UK - so at just under £20 an LP and a nice book and box thrown in, I'm quite content, yes, it irks me a little that these records can be bought much cheaper in the US, but it's still great value for money.

hodgo likes this.
  14. vadthebad

Mine is the same, except for AHDN which is with the leaflet, and no warps at all. Only 2 or 3 spindle holes punched a bit tight, but in the acceptable tolerance zone.

15. Thanks.

16. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I really like the mono box, but on a whim I decided to compare I Saw Her Standing there on the current mono vs. my 1981 mono reissue; side 1 of that was re-cut by Harry Moss, side 2 used the original mastering. Just on that one cut alone, I have to say I prefer the 1981 -- it has stronger bass (though not as articulated), and has an edge that brings out the energy in the vocal. That edge is not distortion, but maybe an EQ tweak that emphasizes a slightly raspy quality that really rocks. By comparison, the current mono is more relaxed (in a good way) and effortless, maybe more audiophile, but a bit tame. It's only something I noticed in a back-to-back comparison. I was blown away when I first dropped the needle on side 1 on the new mono, and I still like it a lot, but for different reasons than I like that 1981 reissue. In other words, I think people's initial opinion that this box makes the 1981's irrelevant was a bit hasty.

bonzo59 likes this.
  17. corr64

corr64 New Member

Yes my box was not sealed. I find the cellophane handy for not getting fingerprints on the sleeves.

18. corr64

corr64 New Member

Ta :)

19. corr64

corr64 New Member

Seems like the 1st pressing are the 'Go To' one's for all the albums, & yes it's all down to personal preference.

20. bonzo59

bonzo59 Forum Resident

Mojo magazine reports the same.
    They said these are "Mono for 2014 ears and equipments" .

GreatTone likes this.
  21. corr64

corr64 New Member

Yes mono masters doesn't have the leaflet. The mastering info is on the sleeve. All my others have the leaflet, so that's a little anomaly there with your box.

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Got "Please Please Me" yesterday, meaning I have all of the new remasters. I must be lucky as there isn't a single glitch on all 28 sides. PPM sounds a lot richer and more detailed than I recall from previous pressings, though I never heard an original Parlophone mono pressing. But I have owned all of the stereo Parlophones from the 70's, these reissues have those beat.

corr64 likes this.
  23. corr64

corr64 New Member

Yes this PPM sounds great to my ears & blows all other pressings iv'e heard away.

Robin L likes this.
  24. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

What forum? I've never heard this.

25. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

I did a needle drop on this just the other day. Sounds very nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.