Beatles mono VINYL box set (Part #15)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

No, that's not the best way to know, because if this foolishness were true they would deny it.

2. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I don't agree with that - I have original monos, the 1981's and the 2014's and it has nothing to do with "2014 ears and kit" - the 2014's are very neutral and uniform-sounding, the originals and 1981's have more beef and a little more warmth, but the trade-off is a muddiness in the middle and top end - the 2014s have the advantage of sounding more open - and if you want the 'beef' you can crank them up - I'm glad to have all three incarnations of the monos and it's remarkable considering the age of the tapes, how well the latest releases sound.

AnalogJ and bonzo59 like this.
  3. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

It would not surprise me to learn that EMI recalled copies of the masters from affiliated labels around the world. That would have nothing to do with the original master.

EMI (and now Universal) can't put out anything without the approval of The Beatles and their heirs; that wasn't always the case but has been since the late 1970s. The Beatles have for decades been slow to do re-releases. Perhaps you are too young to remember how long we had to wait for the Beatles on CDs. CDs were launched in 1983, but it wasn't until 1987 and 1988 that the Beatles stuff came out on CD. I think a lot of the slowness had to do with the way the late Neil Aspinall was running Apple. It's really only been since Jeff Jones replaced him that this new vinyl has been coming out. It would not surprise me at all to find that the Beatles are holding up high res releases until the dust settles between various ways of selling them. The other Apple, that of iTunes, is said to be developing a high-res solution; Trent Reznor has confirmed he's working with them on something big. It took (Cupertino) Apple to convince (London) Apple to do digital downloads in the first place; my theory based only on observation is that's what it's going to take again.

4. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

They managed to shoot video of the Revolver mono tape being played, for promotion of the mono LPs. Magee said the videographer who shot it nearly fell to his knees in respect when he saw it.

FJFP and Kim Olesen like this.
  5. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Yay! Bet thats a relief. You know what though instead of buying new - get some nice 2nd hand - the market at Spitalfields in London every 1st and 3rd Friday's of te month is a good 'un. 150 quid there will get you a few Beatles mono's and a Venus and Mars and a Tug of War with change. Only snag is how far away it is and that you'd probably (hopefully) be working on a Friday.

6. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

Lucas "Luke" Weisgram, an employee of The Sweets Company of America. Anything else?

daveidmarx likes this.
  7. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

That's the opposite of me. It was this Beatles box that got me to un-mothball my now very busy turntable. Zeppelin is coming in my future.

8. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

They're nice, and were my go-to mono copies before my turntable went on hiatus for a few years. Not as nice as the new ones, though.

googlymoogly and vadthebad like this.
  9. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

You have never heard of this because it is absolutely without any foundation in the truth.

daveidmarx, goat65cars and Easy-E like this.
  10. vadthebad

vadthebad Well-Known Member

Let us just hope it won't take our lives. :)

DavidFell likes this.
  11. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Yes, it's a hell of a walk, isn't it?. The mono box will HAVE to be the first purchase, of course. Once that's done I'll move on to the Wings and Harrison releases. Then of course there's the two Wings singles and new 'Long Tall Sally' E.P. Thanks for all your good wishes, btw; it's much appreciated.

Easy-E likes this.
  12. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Some good points there, but maybe a little context is needed. Neil Aspinall had to do most of his work at Apple when the four main players couldn't even stand to be in the same room as each other. After the split, his main job was to oversee the collection and distribution of royalties. The Beatles themselves didn't really get any say or 'power' over releases until the mid-'80s when they stopped EMI putting out 'Sessions'. They didn't find out about it until VERY late in the day. The fact that EMI were only planning to pay them their original royalty rate for the tracks on the album was - IMO - the moment the fertiliser hit the air extractor at EMI. Then there were the several occasions The Beatles sued EMI for unpaid royalties after they found out EMI had been giving their albums for free to certain shops. They're not the only band to sue EMI for the same reason, btw, how long EMI had been doing it is anyone's guess.
    In fairness to Aspinall, the whole 'reissue culture' didn't really start happening until the mid-late '80s. Things were just re-released on budget labels for years and with little thought or effort (even some Beatles and solo stuff came out on EMI's budget label in 1980) and there just wasn't the reissue market we know today until the late '80s. Magazines like 'Record Collector' would find it hard to get a decent page of reissues until the late '80s. But - even once The Beatles got control over releases - Aspinall was slow to get it. The delay in the CDs was partly due to the (relatively) few pressing facilities available at the time. Whenever the subject of CD remasters came up at meetings, Aspinall would simply show the band the sales figures for the previous year; ''we don't need remasters, the catalogue's still selling well''. Of course when it got to the point where he finally gave in, his health was already failing. When Jeff Jones came in, I knew straight away that things were changing; why would you hire JJ and have him twiddling his thumbs in his office all day?. Don't forget, too, that the first thing he did was to reject the first lot of CD remasters and artwork he was presented with. That alone made me feel VERY positive about the future. It also shows that the board members got the right man. He's definitely changed the way the board members think about their own archive releases, too. Apologies for a bit of a ramble, but you'll forgive an old man etc., etc.......................

supermd, Paul H, John Murray and 7 others like this.
  13. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Link please?

14. tingly

tingly Forum Resident

It isn't true. Keep reading posts beyond that one.

15. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

16. DavidFell likes this.
  17. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

OK...so I finally finished listening to my entire Mono Box that I purchased thru Collector's Choice last month, on that enticing sale + code deal. First of all, the box and all the packaging is top notch, and was delivered in spotless condition.Even better, every single LP is virtually flawless visually and the playback is superb. These are some of the quietest, flattest records I have ever purchased in my life. I haven't spent the time comparing them to my original UKs yet, except for Please Please Me. Based on that I would give the nod to my original Y&B Parlo, it has a certain energy and presence that the reissue doesn't beat. But that said, I thoroughly enjoyed every single side of the box set and I'm happy I bought it and will continue to play it, along with my originals. For those who don't own or want to hunt down and pay for the originals, these reissues are a high value purchase.

Sorry to hear about those who were unlucky in QC for their LPs. I don't buy many new LPs, but I'm delighted with this collection and hope that more reissues are done with this much attention to all aspects of the process and the final product.

18. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

I'm afraid, the source is not inEnglish, it might be unethical of me to refer you there. Besides, it's confidential.

vadthebad likes this.
  19. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

20. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

Thanks for the very detailed notes on this. You apologize at the end for rambling. Don't! This is just the kind of thing I want to learn more about on forums full of well-informed people like this one. Thank you, vinylman. Speaking of those budget releases, I saw a copy of JL's Rock 'n' Roll album, with doctored-up cover, on EMI's Music For Pleasure label. It looked awful.

As to the slow availability of CDs at the beginning, I remember some comic (alas, I can't remember who) on the Tonight show, talking about going into a record store to try to buy Frank Sinatra CDs, but none had been issued yet. He did find Frank Stallone, however. Got a good laugh.

vinylman likes this.
  21. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

morinix likes this.
  22. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Thanks, David. I do occasionally have moments of clarity where what I type says exactly what I intended to say. I'm just glad that there were witnesses this time :).

Robin L and googlymoogly like this.
  23. You are a better man than I. :tiphat:

vadthebad likes this.
  24. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

25. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I picked up a few titles today - AHDN, Rubber Soul, Revolver, and Pepper. Only heard AHDN and Revolver so far, but these sound great. I like them more than the 2009 CDs, which are a little brighter (I still like them though)

I don't have an original Y/B AHDN but I have Revolver, and while I slightly prefer the tonality of my original Revolver, this one comes really close, and it's pressed at the right speed (my original runs too fast on side 2)

I was hoping I didn't like these, because now I need to run back and pick up the remaining titles (I think the individual records are cheaper than the box set but I haven't thought too much about it)

There might be something to this vinyl thing after all...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.