Beatles Mono VINYL box set (Part #16)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Nov 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I think I may have to agree with you on that. It's an amazing set.

bluemooze and goat65cars like this.
  2. I'm still stuck in customer service hell. They've offered me free shipping on my "next order" but nothing else so far. There won't be a "next order" from Bravado, the way things are going--I don't have confidence that anything I order from them will be delivered. I'll get this up the chain sooner or later. I checked with UK and Canada Beatles Stores and they sympathesize but they do not have price matching policies and wouldn't sell me the set at a discounted price.

3. galone_es

galone_es Forum Resident

Does the book describe the diferences between the mono and stereo mixes of songs ?

4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The problem is you are judging fairly primitive 60s recordings with 24 track stereo from 70s onwards. These can never be Dark Side Of The Moon or Crime Of The Century. In this context they are 10/10 and a very different (mono) presentation. I am usually fairly disappointed in old mono mixes but these records are outstanding in that context and mostly better or as good sounding as the stereo mixes (in most peoples opinion). If you like Beatles in stereo including 'Hey Jude' you should check out the new Red and Blue album reissues. The only Beatles album I would describe as true audiophile quality is Abbey Road where they had more modern 16 track recording equipment, released only in stereo and so not included here.

5. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Archie is long gone Paul - this was his only thread - 6 posts and flamed out :)

6. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Abbey Road was recorded on an 8-track. It was the first Beatles album to be recorded through a solid-state (transistor) TTG desk, instead of a tube console. Not sure when Abbey Road got a 16 track deck. 1970?

driverdrummer likes this.
  7. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

8. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

9. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

10. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

11. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

That was a pretty big oversight on their part. Wonder if they'll honor the orders that might have gone through.

groovelocked likes this.
  12. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Score!

$230 CDN

Woot! :cool:

13. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

I have two titles from this box: Rubber Soul and Pepper. They sound great overall, but I swear I am hearing some inner groove distortion on both, more so on Rubber Soul. Is this to be expected?

14. No.

johnny q and Clanceman like this.
  15. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

It came in today - should I be excited? Based on how huge this thread is - I think so!

16. HappyCycler

HappyCycler Forum Resident

Yes, it's an absolute joy. Put one on, turn off your mind and float down stream :)

17. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

I just received mine last week, and yes, it is worth every bit of the hype. I hesitated because for years I had worked hard on assembling original UK mono pressings. I was still missing The White Album and figured why spend the money? But...the packaging is gorgeous, the sound is amazing...all quality. Enjoy!

rebellovw likes this.
  18. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

I've had the Mono LP set since release day and it's quite simply a joy to own, never did I think I'd be able to listen to all these classic albums in mono with such fabulous sound on old fashioned records, I guess dreams do come true sometimes.

19. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

8 track for Abbey Road actually. It would be over a year after the last Beatles recording before Abbey Road went 16 track.

driverdrummer likes this.
  20. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

There's a lot to sift thru here. On deciding whether to buy the box vs individual titles, is the individually sold monos packaging identical to the box, aside From the plastic outer sleeves and the book?

21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'm confused. Does this sound better than your vinyl?

22. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

It sounds better than my CD Mono Box. My turntable hasn't been set up in a long time. This was more a comment on the mastering.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  23. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I collected the original UK mono's too, but am horny for these virgin vinyl LPs...... :edthumbs:

24. DLD

DLD Senior Member

This thread is making me want to open mine up before Christmas (from Music Vaultz, $200 Canadian = $165 American less another 15%-discount code- shipped, to mi casa :edthumbs:)

mpayan likes this.
  25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

No, not at all. However, are you talking specifically about "Michelle" at the end of side one of Rubber Soul? Paul's essses are a mess, I too thought I had a bad pressing or my TT was bunk. Then I went back to every other version I have of this album and the anomalies are there as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.