Beatles Mono VINYL box set (Part #16)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Nov 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

It’s essential all you need is the mono box on vinyl & the same hi res rips from that are floating around, your all set.

2. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

It isn't exaggerated for people whose systems reveal the difference and for people who hear it. For them it's important information. As for me, those stereo remasters -- at least as they sounded on my 24-bit Apple USB issue of the stereo albums, was at best ho-hum. YMMV. Got rid of it. I imagine the vinyl lps are less revealing than that.

Cassius and chacha like this.
  3. I enjoy the stereo box too. In fact Help might be the one album that is actually better in stereo. Side one of the new mono version is muddy. Especially the title track. Steronis more open. Sounds great.

4. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Yeah, I've grown quite fond of the reverb they've stuck on Paul's vocals with Yesterday. It makes the mono version sound a little flat in comparison.

5. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

By contrast, I really like the original mono version of Yesterday after having only been familiar with the stereo remix for many years. His vocal is so direct on the mono - incredible! But as a whole, Help in mono isn’t one of my favorite albums/mixes, sonically speaking. I wouldn’t be surprised if many people preferred the stereo remix to the original mono.

The first time I heard the mono version of the title song, I thought it sounded like a worn BBC tape. It doesn’t sound nearly as slick as what I’m used to hearing from The Beatles, mono or stereo.

moople72, Man at C&A and OobuJoobu like this.
  6. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Just got a mint box for 320€ from a young man whose mother works at Universal Music and had a second one that she wanted to sell.

I guess they did not know those sell for far more on the second-hand market.

Anyway he seemed happy to get the cash, I guess his mother told him to sell it and keep the cash...

The Beave and Derek Slazenger like this.
  7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

You sure got that right!

I recently played the mono LP for the first time in a while, and I was quite surprised by how much better it was than the stereo. It was apparent to me that George Martin put significant care and effort into preparing the mono master - the amount of reverb and compression is just right, and I suspect there was some fader-riding to get the vocals in perfect balance with the backing. Overall, it sounded much more powerful and cohesive, probably a lot closer to what they sounded like in the clubs of Liverpool and Hamburg.

On a related note, I also observed that Lennon's voice sure was powerful in those days, coming right off the period where they were a hard-working club band. I know that he was very sick with a sore throat on the day of the session, but his voice is remarkably muscular and soulful on that album, particularly on "Anna" and (of course) "Twist and Shout."

john lennonist and Man at C&A like this.
  8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I love the 'ignorance is bliss' crowd. There's more than just digital/analog and mono/ stereo differences. The EQ is off.

There was a backlash after the stereo box came out for a myriad of reasons. It's the reason, partly due to Michael Fremer's pushing, that they went AAA with the mono set and paid attention to the mastering.
    :doh:

chacha and marcb like this.
  9. psus2h

psus2h Active Member

It came out to $339.99 CND after the discount. They emailed me back today, because I am having it shipped to my office and not my apartment they flagged it as fraud (billing matches card, shipping does not). I had to send them something to verify it's me and hopefully that'll get it moving....

10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

When I looked it said 210$CND. Am still rubbing my eyes in disbelief. Perhaps tax is applied afterwards.

11. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

How DARE you enjoy something that the “experts” hate .... you anti-analog person you!

Chemguy and CraigBic like this.
  12. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Mono, stereo, both .... this is what it is ultimately about.

13. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Yanni or Laurel? People hear differently. I don't have a $10,000 system, but I doubt I'd be disappointed with either box if I did.

Pretty.Odd. and Benno123 like this.
  14. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I have bought the albums separately off of Ebay and Walmart.com.
    I was lucky enough to pick up Sgt. Pepper off the bay for $38.99.
    I just got MMT for $43 off the Bay.

Now I have to spend an arm and leg for Help!, A Hard Day's Night, and Please Please Me.

I think buying them separately comes out to the same as the box but of course no book or nice box.

Luckily Revolver,Rubber Soul, The Beatles and Mono Masters are readily available at reasonable prices.

15. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

As many of us have mentioned and observed before, the mono Help is really not very good; the one week link of the whole mono box. My old stereo copy is far better.

psus2h likes this.
  16. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Keep in mind that the stereo versions almost always sound more alive due to the lesser use of compression. Steve Hoffman has stated in this forum that he prefers the stereo With The Beatles due to the flattened dynamics of the mono.

I personally prefer the stereo of the White Album for a myriad of reasons, one of them is that it's quite a bit more dynamic than the mono.

Chemguy likes this.
  17. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I prefer the stereos of practically all of them...:hide:

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  18. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

When it sold out they dropped the price for some reason. But you could never buy it at that price.

19. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

What is a stereo box going for

20. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

LMGTFY

21. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Gotcha thanks for the help

22. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

When I bought the box about a year ago, it was $210 Canadian through MusicVaultz during their 50% off sales. Came out to $163 USD shipped. Very happy with my deal, and glad to own the box.

psus2h likes this.
  23. slane

slane Forum Resident

9 of the 14 tracks are the same mix in mono and stereo (just that one is wide stereo and the other is a collapsed mono version of that mix). Levels, reverb and compression are identical on those 9 tracks.

24. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Right, years ago when it was available everywhere, that price stood.
    I was saying that MV had it in stock this weekend for $399 CAD, and then when it switched to Out Of Stock they changed the price to $209 CAD for some reason.

25. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

Where did you see this $209? It’s in stock right now for $399.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.