Beatles Mono VINYL box set (Part #16)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Nov 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't know, but what is your source for this info?

2. slane

slane Forum Resident

John Barrett's notes.

The exceptions are: Misery, Baby It's You, Please Please Me (separate mono and stereo mixes), and Love Me Do, PS I Love You (mono mixes only, converted to mock-stereo for the stereo LP).

Everything else is a simultaneous stereo/delta mono mix.

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Very interesting. Just for fun, I'm gonna play around with collapsing the stereo mixes and see how it compares.

4. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I personally feel that what most people really like is that both mono and stereo mixes are different versions of the music they love, Some will feel the mono sounds better to them and others may like the stereo version or perhaps both. To constantly analyze which one is better kind of gets in the way of enjoying the music. I personally like both the mono and stereo reissues. I think they sound really good. I also have many of the original Harry Moss mastering's that I think sound a tad bit better, but that is just grasping at straws.

You can't go wrong with any of the Beatles reissues in my opinion. If you start picking them apart for this or that , you get distracted from all the great music. Sit back, relax, and take it all in.

levi, The Beave, aoxomoxoa and 4 others like this.
  5. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I just couldn’t resist so i have both boxes and love em both. Now time to get stones boxsets lol

timnor, levi, kronning and 14 others like this.
  6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Agreed. But Help side one suffers terribly in the sonics department. Side two is a relief.

The very next side, Rubber Soul, is a revelation!

7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I understand that the Help! soundtrack songs were recorded in a different location, not at Abbey Road or where they usually recorded.

ZippyPippy likes this.
  8. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Now That makes a ton of sense!

9. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

That had an effect, no question...

[​IMG]

10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I much prefer the mono Help. “The Night Before” is So much better without all the reverb

webmatador and DK Pete like this.
  11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I don't know if I prefer it to the stereo but I *do* like it a lot. For some reason, most people don't.

12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Beautiful pic; it'll be even nicer when you add The White Album box set to it:righton:

13. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

Oh. It’s just a matter of time hopefully :)

levi and The Beave like this.
  14. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

And I call BS on you!
    The bcc 13 box sounds fine if you don't like Paul McCartney or Ringos bass drum, up until maybe Abbey Road where there finally is SOME bass in the sound. Like drinking soda without any sugar, horrible, unless you don't like bass and a lot of people don't.
    But to say the whole box doesn't sound good and the bc 13 is great is just laughable!!!

So I laugh in your face.....:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::pineapple::bdance::shtiphat:

But again, if you don't like bass, the the bc13 sounds very good, if you can find a pressing that doesn't have a ton of clicks and pops.
    I've had three boxes over the years and they all were very average pressings, ill stick with the 180 Gram sets.
    Beave

CraigBic and JeffreyB like this.
  15. The Beave

We we, you scored!!!!!!

:goodie::goodie::goodie::pineapple::bdance::shtiphat:

Good Score! Congrats.
    Beave

16. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

That was special.

17. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

DOH!

An obvious judgement in error on my part, graciously corrected by one of the true cognoscente of our forum.

18. AnalogJ

This set has been for sale for such a long time. I was figuring it might eventually end up in the cutout bin.

19. The Beave

Bob, I hope I wasn't mean. But your post came on so heavy you moved me to reply.
    Man If you like the sound of the bc13 box, excellent.
    Me, I just found it really lacking in bass, which those pressings are, except for Abbey Road.
    But many agree with you which is fine. Me, I want a full sounding Beatles, and that ain't the blue box imo.
    Have a great night!
    Beave

CraigBic likes this.
  20. AnalogJ

What one might want is the most tonally accurate copies. Of course, a preference can system dependent. Have you any UK stereo Parlophone originals with which to compare to the stereo reissues? If not, try to buy or borrow one so you can have a reference.

21. The Beave

Yes I did. I had a first pressing Abbey Road. And of the three bc13 boxes I had, most of the pressings were very early Moss mastered pressings. They're all gone to a good home at a very fair price.
    And look at my equipment profile. I play all my audio 'Flat', flat treble and flat bass. If a record is mastered well, it comes across that way, the original Beatles pressings are all significantly deficient in bass freqs.
    And my speakers go down to 17 hz without a subwoofer, so if it's not there, it's not there.
    The 2010 Stereo box is much more satisfying TO ME, then the original pressings.
    Beave

CraigBic likes this.
  22. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Ok now that I own the mono LP box maybe I should pick up a stereo Box set .. it’s a good thing there are a lot in print so I don’t have to rush ;)

23. AnalogJ

The ones out of the box that i heard didn't sound quite as good as originals. They might have been early stampers, but other factors are involved as well. It's why UK pink label Traffic records sound SO much better than US originals in spite of them both using the same stampers from Sterling. That's not to say that what you heard isn't an accurate perception, but I just wanted to add that to the mix.

24. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

Side 1 of Help! is such a mess in stereo that it's hard for me to listen to. Aside from the two hits, the material is overall subpar. If I want to enjoy those songs, the mono mix is the only way to go. Side 2 is so much stronger song-wise that stereo is just fine.

25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks Beave. I have the bc13 a couple of times but never found the mono export version for sale back then. I see you like the stereo vinyl box from 2010 as I do. What are your thoughts on the mono vinyl box? I like it very much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.