Beatles Mono VINYL box set (Part #16)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Nov 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

Well, with all that being said I have a new appreciation for PPM Mono Vinyl. Plus, it definitely has better sound and dynamics than the cd. Damn, what are we even complaining for? Any of us? Let's Crank this s#cker up and let's jam some Please Please Me for Captain Crunch sakes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
  2. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I love love love this set. However, the plastic sleeves are driving me nuts. I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I couldn't find anything using the search. Is there a recommended replacement for these things? I feel like regular poly sleeves might be too thick to fit in the box. I had to throw the sleeves for the White Album and Mono Masters away. I just couldn't get them back in!

3. John Grimes

My suggestion. Well because I have only regular Polly sleeves that is...try to sleeve at least the White album in the box but then just sleeve every other one. This has kept my records in my Blue Box Bc13 Mint for 35 years.

Hawklord and superstar19 like this.
  4. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

That's a good idea. Thanks

John Grimes likes this.
  5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

You wrote the above in reply to what I wrote, "I'm sharing my experience and being honest about it so that others can form their own opinion about what I'm saying. Absolutely nothing problematic about that." Did you not read this? Do you not understand this? All your response does is repeat what I said (in your own interpretation/words) over and over again. Are you a poor communicator? Are you a poor listener?

And, your analogy is not good. Do you have a hard time taking criticism? Do you ignore feedback and stubbornly keep making the same mistakes/saying the same things again and again?

Bet you $5 that your response to this is going to be to restate/rewrite/regurgitate what I've quoted of yours in this post.

And in case you don't get it, the point of this post is mainly to emphasize that what I wrote, and your response to it, are pretty similar, but that is somehow incomprehensible to you. How dat works? I don't see that we differ that much (but the analogy blows, sorry)

The last sentence in your post is "You can't really argue with that." I'm not. You're the one arguing. What, do you have a chip on your shoulder; a persecution complex? You don't understand plain English? Please read what I wrote and comprehend that I don't disagree with you (except of course for your crummy analogy)

6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

And here's another thing about your inability to communicate correctly/effectively. Why do you make things up? You quoted my post, which says "IMO and to my ears these are the best sounding Beatles albums you can get." And then in your post you say about me "You state that such and such a pressing is THE best one you can get." Why not take the trouble to quote me accurately instead of imagining things? You're not listening. You have a bone to pick with someone else. Your first sentence says "...you and others..." Take what I say on its own merits and don't go lumping me in with others that you have a problem with.

7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Just keep missing the point, okay. You're entitled to do that. You make it about that you're just giving your opinion. You don't seem to get the problem with hyperbole. I'm moving on.

8. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Can anyone really say that anything is the best pressing? This really gets out of control at times, because it's all so subjective. It's like looking at a piece of art, in the sense that the work of art is the same, it's the people viewing it that is different. Same with LP's, equipment, etc....

I have a few UK represses from the 70's and I prefer the mono box. I don't have UK 1st pressings or anything, but I have read comments from those that do have them, that say they prefer the mono box as well. Others that do have the original 1st pressings prefer those. I take all comments with a grain of salt because there are so many variables at play here. One being the possiblity that people overstate the amazing quality of 1st pressings because they don't want to see their investment go down the tube, should a reissue really beat the pants off it. Another variable is gear, we all have different gear, different rooms, etc and that will make a huge difference to what the end result will be. Also condition of said LP, as finding original Beatles in mint condition is very difficult not to mention super expensive. The mono box makes that a non issue.

The best thing to do? Simply enjoy what you have because at the end of the day, it means little. I'm happy I got off the "finding the best version of something" train. Life's too short, especially to be arguing about it on a message board. I'm sure you guys have better things to do than argue about something like that. Discuss and debate? Sure, but to argue about it? Pointless.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    HappyCycler, MarkO, 24voltsdc and 6 others like this.
  9. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I couldn't spend the money to get this set when first released but I would like to get it. I have not read all previous 15 threads so my questions have probably already been answered but I can't dig through all that right now. I'd appreciate it if someone can give a quick answer about a few things. I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs some info.

Is there one pressing of this box or is there a U.S. pressing, a U.K. pressing etc.?
    If there are different pressings which is considered to be the best?
    Since this has to be a big heavy set are they being damaged during shipping? I worry about this.
    Except for the book and box is there any reason to buy the box versus getting each album one at a time?
    Any opinions about this selling out? Soon? A year from now? Never?

Thanks to anyone who can help with these questions.

10. archie

archie New Member

fine scrap the analogy, Come on, we dont need to get crazy here. My only point was that the reviewers have lost some objectivity here.

11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Can you provide links to/quotes from the reviewers you find the most objectionable?

12. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Surely it was Marianne Faithful recounting that it was the current thinking, not necessarily hers, that The Beatles were finished?

13. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Just saw an interesting chart about vinyl sales in 2014 in the U.S. And the Beatles have 2 albums in the top 10 best-selling vinyl for last year -- something they have in common with Lana Del Ray. Interesting that Abbey Road continues to be such a top vinyl seller given that it was no. 1 for 3 years in a row from 2009-2011. But it's great to see Sgt. Pepper make the list, only 4 months after the mono reissue.

1. Jack White, Lazaretto: 86,700
    2. Arctic Monkeys, AM, 58,700
    3. Lana del Ray, Born to Die, 42,100
    4. Abbey Road, 38,200
    5. Bob Marley, Legend, 37,800
    6. Black Keys, Turn Blue, 34,200
    7. Sgt. Pepper, 33,600
    8. Lana del Ray, Ultraviolence, 31,800
    9. Miles Davis, Kind of Blue, 31,700
    10. Amy Winehouse, Back to Black, 27,800

Here is the story: http://www.statista.com/chart/3128/the-best-selling-vinyl-albums/

14. I just dumped them. Didn't replace.

15. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

I did the same. They were to thin and cheap to keep opening and closing. I appreciate that they came with the box for protecting the covers during shipment, but now that my box is on my shelf, there is no need for the sleeves.

Mazzy likes this.
  16. John Grimes

How much does the artist see of those sales?

17. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Depends on the artist !

18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

You make so many excellent points, I don't know where to start. I have the box but haven't listened all the way through. I also own clean UK originals with the exception of the black and gold label pressings of PPM. The new pressings are fairly faithful to the originals. In fact I prefer the new mono White Album to the original mono pressing. If you have this box, there really is no need to hunt down the originals. It's not easy to find clean mono originals. It takes some time and a lot of money. Im sure there are a few that have had an easier time than me tracking them down, but from my own experience, it takes a lot of patience.

This box was well done.

19. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Thank you very much. I'm a Beatles freak, and tried very hard to get clean originals. Unfortunately, I don't have the type of money needed to spend on great condition originals. The few I have come across have been early 70s stereo represses, and although very good, the condition can often be lacking.

When I found out about the mono box, and that it would be done analog, I knew I had to get it. Simply put, it's a thing of beauty and worth every penny. I can't tell you how happy I get when I spin any of the albums, and hear how they were intended to sound. It's a relief knowing that I have it, and that I don't have to spend time hunting down original copies, and the cost that goes along with that.

20. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

1.One pressing from Optimal in Germany
    2.N/A
    3.They do come in a nuclear proof box from the manufacturer but some early in the release had this outer boxing removed. So depends on where you get it from.
    4.Also depends if you dont want the book then the individual releases can be got for less than the box
    5.Only time will tell.

MarkO and Reader like this.
  21. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Thank you. That helps .

22. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

What 1978 British mono vinyl?.

john lennonist likes this.
  23. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I assume he was referring to the 1978 vinyl in the Blue Box (Stereo)
    The Black Box (also Red at some point?) was the 1982 release (mono).

24. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I don't recall precisely, but the gist was more to do with issues revolving around them at the time, like the death of Brian Epstein, the perceived failure of Magical Mystery Tour, etc. I could be way off, as I haven't seen it in a while and no longer have a VHS player. Though it's probably on You Tube somewhere!

25. archie

archie New Member

Yeah move on! That sounds like a good idea. YOU seem to not be getting it, actually, as well as the fact that I dont care. Facts is facts, sir, maybe try reading it over and over until it makes sense. I was trying not to get into a pissing contest...until now that is.

Can you really not draw a parallel between records being overrated because of the bands following, and a record being over graded at NM based on its nostalgic element. Why harp on this. did you read the other 85 lines of the post ? (Dont answer that) Thanks for sharing your opinion, really, but have you heard the record ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.