Beatles mono vinyl box - sound comparison to Parlophone originals only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Sep 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member Thread Starter

Thread is strictly about those fortunate enough to have good original parlophone mono pressings and comparing the sound quality of the new mono vinyl releases to those

since very few people seem to comment on sound
    can we please hear from those with great originals to compare to

please no
    sales price "comments"
    I get my box tomorrow "comments"
    sound great "comments"
    there are plenty of posts on that elsewhere

just direct comparisons from those blessed with both

which is more dynamic?
    anything missing off the top end frequencies on the new ones?
    are the early release originals too hot or shrill?
    eq comparisons
    soundstage, separation of instruments, etc

thanks

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  2. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

Would be happy to know this as well. I have UK mono originals of Revolver, Sgt Pepper, With The Beatles and Beatles for Sale. Would be worth knowing if I should replace these with the new ones. Definitely got my eye on the White Album though! :)

3. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I'm particularly interested in the White Album as well. It's difficult to sift through all of those Mono Box threads to find the album you're looking for as well. Considering that SHF basically double as a Beatles forum most of the time, it might be worthwhile to devote a thread to each album in the set, or at least years (i.e. 63-65, 66-68, etc.)

The Beave, marcfeld69 and Laibach like this.
  4. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

The original records have more warmth and a different feel that can feel more authentic to me. So far I would say the reissues win, but the original Sgt Peppers and White Album still feels a bit more right to me, maybe because I'm used to them. But these reissues are amazing. I'm just not ready to part with any originals yet.

e.s., BIG ED, Doctorwu and 3 others like this.
  5. audiotom

Keith

any more details? you mentioned the originals have more warmth but you felt the reissues were better

I have some original Parlophone stereos that I will compare when the box arrives

6. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Regardless of how good the new ones are, who the heck would "part with the originals"?

marcfeld69, forthlin, Myke and 11 others like this.
  7. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

Thankfully most are saying reissues > originals.

driverdrummer and dobyblue like this.
  8. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

Hehe, it was not meant that literally. Well, the reissues do sound great, I think you will be amazed! They offer much more clarity and still got a full analogue sound, very perfected sound, but still something speical about the originals, that makes them very enjoyable to listen to...In most cases I think you like both, maybe prefer the new ones slightly.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    driverdrummer, mooseman and Paully like this.
  9. audiotom

More about still seeking out and paying $$$ for originals

e.s. and jeff kleinberg like this.
  10. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I'd liked to know also, how they compare to the '82 mono UK LPs?

The Bish and mooseman like this.
  11. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I don't have any Parlophone mono originals, but I do have many of the US originals. The new reissues better sound as good or better or I will be bummed after spending all that money. I think the US versions sound good as long as they are in decent enough shape. We will see!

12. mrclick

mrclick Forum Resident

My box arrived last week and I thought I would copy over my first impressions from the shipping thread regarding Rubber Soul.

I have a nice clean original 1965 UK copy to compare. Regarding the jacket the colours are slightly different, particularly around the Rubber Soul lettering. The ink isn't the same but why would it be - (the 1965 copy probably has lead, or arsenic, or asbestos in it!!). The original cover is laminated, but the 2014 version is just good glossy paint. And of course you don't get an Emitex inner sleeve, just plain white. No matter.

What about the tunes?....

Drive My Car, Norwegian Wood, You Won't See Me, and then back to the original for the same. Mostly I am so impressed at how good the music is still. The new version is great. Detailed, seamless, rich, vibrant, almost creamy. And the original? Detailed, seamless, rich, very vibrant, punchy, and grabbing of attention. Back to the new one. Oh, this is good too. First impressions are I prefer Drive My car on the '65, because it has an immediacy about it, but Norwegian Wood I prefer the '14 because the detail is better and a bit more sumptuous. You Won't See Me? I can hear Mal Evans (or whoever it was) organ better on the new copy, but Paul sounds better on the original.

Do you know what? Its rather like taking your best known old painting, and moving it from one room to another. Slightly different light and the painting is the same but you notice slightly different things. Its better in this room. Actually, its better in this room. No hang on....

TheHutt, Pushpaw, The Beave and 28 others like this.
  13. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

14. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

To my ears the new mono box set sounds like a master tape but the original sixties pressings
    sound like a master tape that has been EQ'ed to sound good on cheap record players
    I can hear the mid range boost and low end roll off, if you then play the new mono versions
    the low end suddenly appears and the mid range goes back it's a more natural mix for
    high end equipment and I'm sure that's what the Beatles heard back in the day
    everything sounds very equally balanced music wise almost like hearing these recordings
    for the first time.

joeriz, ribonucleic, edised and 43 others like this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Interesting thread.

16. alexpop

Vinyl:
    How is the spindle hole cut, narrow or wide?

17. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

"Arsenic.. asbestos.."

Classic!

Here's my first small White opinion pasted from the other big thread (only just saw this one, sorry)

Well, I've got two v good condition UK originals of White, but I prefer the 2014. I didn't think I had a good enough system to detect much difference to the originals, but I'm hearing it here... yum!

USSR guitar growls more during the outro, acoustic guitars sound great in Bungalow, never really thought about them before, Wild Honey drums thwacked in more powerfully than the original... etc etc, nice.

Have to get another of these so I can play one to death in a relaxed fashion!

Mr. H, BIG ED, SBurke and 2 others like this.
  18. mikrt17

The hole's are cut slightly on the narrow side, I had to push the disc
    down on to my turntable spindle but it's not a worry.

19. BlueSpeedway

I used a screwdriver for Revolver and White LP2. Could never have got them on the table otherwise.

This is the best I've ever heard the White Album, and I've heard it so many times in so many releases. I love it to bits.

Mr. H, e.s., BIG ED and 2 others like this.
  20. mikrt17

I agree with you this is the best I've ever heard the White Album and I have bought
    so many versions over the years and I still have an original mono pressing but this
    new 2014 pressings blows away every other version I have heard I'm tempted to buy
    another copy as I know I might wear it out.

21. BlueSpeedway

Pepper, White and Revolver are miles better (only played those 3 so far).

Not that the 82s are bad, but personally I could only make them really good by messing with EQ. The Revolver 82 especially, sounds like tin compared to the 2014. I played the 82 two days ago and enjoyed it, but the 2014 mirrors my original, but with many moments that make me think "this is the best".

I think this is one of those occasions where the mastering press release (snigger to forum vets!) hype is not hype, it's fact: that these are as good as originals, and often better.

e.s., Chris R, SBurke and 5 others like this.
  22. alexpop

Hmm.
    Thanks for the reply.

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I don't know how many times I have posted this in regard to tight holes! Use a rolled up piece of medium wet/dry abrasive paper (as used for car bodywork repairs). Release till it becomes tight to hole and twist back and forth. No damage to labels and an even and gradual opening of hole achieved. Repeat until hole just slips over spindle. This is an all too common occurrence on modern pressings and appears to be random.

Raylinds, SBurke, mikrt17 and 2 others like this.
  24. BlueSpeedway

I buy so little new vinyl these days after getting too many crap masterings, I forgot all the good advice I previously got from here, and got the screwdriver out. D'oh.. :(

pablo fanques likes this.
  25. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Erk - thats a bit dangermouse - get a round needle file from a craft shop - couple of light turns and the record will fit the spindle like a glove

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.