Beatles on Ed Sullivan DVDs--get em before Apple bonks them?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Dow, Jan 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Too bad thre audio is all mono. The black and white 2' quad decks didnt have a stereo audio input.

2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

at least (I hope) they are not "remastered" stereo tracks sync'd with the video. I ordered mine yeatereday too! :D

:-jon

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Anyone get them yet? Curious of quality.

4. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music Thread Starter

I have not received my DVDs yet but I just ordered them a week ago. They should come anytime. Anyone else receive their Sullivan/Beatles DVDs?

5. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

At the present time, the company does not have any stock on these dvd's. Their promise to fill orders in 3 to 4 business days was/is wishful thinking (I ordered my copy more than two weeks ago). The company had no further information as to when they will have these, but the thinking is that they are waiting to receive xx amount of orders before production will begin.

6. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Mikey, Apple does own the rights to the full performances on the Ed Sullivan show (as do the Rolling Stones for their performances). What is unclear at the moment is what rights Andrew Solt Productions still retains with regards to these performances. What is known is that Solt has the right to use edited clips in video releases and tribute television shows. They very well may have retained the rights to market these full shows in their agreement with Apple.

However, I do agree with you that a lawsuit is not likely. Andrew Solt has very close working relationship with Apple and especially Yoko. I highly doubt he would put this in jeopardy to sell a few thousand dvd and tapes. One possibility is that he has the rights to sell these shows through his website and television, but not retail brick and mortar stores. Time will tell.

7. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Thanks for this info, I had heard nothing about this release. I just ordered them.

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I ordered the dvds too. I am not happy to hear they have none in stock. I do not like false advertising or deception.

9. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

The saving grace is that they have not charged any credit cards yet. What drives me nuts is not knowing exactly when these things will eventually ship. They might get stock today, next week or maybe next month. Please don't tell us 3 to 4 days and then leave us hanging.

Thus far, they have not answered any of my email queries (and no one elses that I know either) and if you call the customer service number provided, you get the ordering house (not Solt Productions) and they have no idea about anything except how to take the order.

10. reechie

reechie Senior Member

What kind of sucks here is that rather than take the two payments of $19.99 option, which I'd initially intended to do, I let them talk me into paying for the whole $39.99 amount at once on the pretext of getting it shipped within a week. If it wasn't for the fact that they haven't charged me for it yet, and that I really want these DVD's, I'd cancel based on this deception.

So what's the deal with the supposed customer quote on their web site:

See what fans are saying about the Ed Sullivan Introduces The Beatles box set…

"I already received my set and the quality is stunning -- both the video & the audio."

So are we being faked out here, or did somebody actually get one of these?

11. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

Got an e-mail confirmation on 12/29 but no delivery yet, and my card hasn't been charged either....

12. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I know of no one in the Beatles collecting community who has received this yet. I think we can safely assume the quotes are manufactured for sales purposes.

13. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Encouragingly, there appear to be a few people among the online Beatle fan crowd who have received their sets, so they apparently do exist.

14. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Really? Sounds encouraging. Can you post a link to the message board where they claim to have received this already?

15. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Actually, my source is the web master of Abbyrd's Beatles Page (http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/), who told me that in a private e-mail today when I asked him about some of the comments I'd been hearing here today. Steve's generally well known for having accurate information, so I thought he'd be the one to ask.

Okay, addendum, here's a thread from rec.music.beatles, where one of the posters mentions he's gotten his set:

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=...82$%[email protected]#link1

Odd though, now that I look at the posting from the person who claims to have the set, it's the exact quote on the edsullivan.com web site. At least we know where they got that quote from.

And the rest of the postings are folks with similar complaints as the ones we've been making.

16. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Thanks for the info Rich. Regardless of all the headaches, at least Solt Productions is reputable. If they never actually get around to distribution (I am pretty sure they will), at least we won't be charged.

17. I intially ordered mine on-line, but when I did not receive an email confirmation, and noticed it was still in my shopping cart on the website, I called and was pointed to the distributor. They told me that they hadn't set the system up yet online and had no record of my transaction (in fact, it hadn't hit my credit card yet so I didn't really panic)! I also emailed both the distributor and edsullivan.com regarding whether I should reorder. A couple days later I called the 1-800 number and ordered a couple copies via the phone. They told me to expect them in 10-14 days, and expect a charge once they ship. Edsullivan.com responded to my earlier email and confirmed that I had indeed ordered a couple copies recently (the phone transaction), but no record of my online order.

Net/net, a couple of moderately positive data points:
    1) edsullivan.com responded accurately to an email;
    2) the phone order folks set my expectation that we wouldn't get these for another few days yet.

Anyway, fyi....here's hoping!

18. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Fortunately, I'm not particularly worried that I won't eventually get these DVD's, but it is a bit disconcerting to be given what I see as inaccurate information about its delivery. Not very good business etiquette if you ask me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.