Beatles "Pepper" Mono CD: 2009 or 2017?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gss, May 22, 2017.

1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

They probably figure that only completists really want it.

mikrt17 likes this.
  2. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I know it's important to corporate interests that the Beatles are seen as a 'premium' act, which is why the albums have remained intact on CD without any bonus tracks. But in this age of collapsing physical media, I think that a 'premium' legacy act could offer two packages for each album - a value-priced 2CD (or more) set featuring the historical stereo and mono mixes of each album with related singles, and a standalone CD featuring a modern remix of the album. Related singles could remain on a remixed compilation.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  3. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

Heck how about a standalone release of the Blu-Ray disc with the 5.1 mix? I'm NOT spending that kind of money for the huge box set just for that.

sewerdog, bradman, tedhead and 4 others like this.
  4. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Picture yourself with a shelf of the Beatles
    Without the new 50
    It just won't suffice

Somebody calls you
    You answer quite slowly
    A crisp ben with the spectacled eyes

Newspaper taxis appear as you surf
    Waiting to take you away
    Cling to the past, outtake shakes
    Mono bliss, five point one

Lose it, going to buy with diamonds

5. Frank

Frank Senior Member

What do you mean you don't want to pay $118 for cardboard mustaches and a book of pictures of a bunch of dudes? How dare you? :D

tedhead, jumpinjulian, Rich C and 7 others like this.
  6. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

To be honest, I don't think it's that good. The tape degradation of all those years has really taken it's toll on that master.
    :D

7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Uhhh, there are a lot of people buying it for the blu-Ray with the 5.1 mix and the early takes too.

Drifter and Lownote30 like this.
  8. gss

gss Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree, I was just justifying the cost. Those things - and the things you mention - make it even more worthwhile (imho).

9. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Yes, but the hologram virtual reality immersion presentation of the Beatles falling and dancing and spinning around you in the room (with Ringo beating on the big bass Pepper drum) more than makes up for it! So lifelike!

10. gss

Anyone else voting/weighing in on reactions to the new mono?

So far, 2009 is in the lead. 2017 seems to be catching up though.

11. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

What is interesting:
    The 2009 mono is a lot different to the 2017 mono.
    Comparision:

"A Day In The Life"
    2009 / 2017

[​IMG]

The new mono transfer really seems to be bare bones and flat transfered. No fixes or anything (There is some pops and clicks during the tape hiss, when you boost the audio. (for example right at the end after the runout groove.)

(My god though, the bonus Penny Lane US mix is probably one of the worst sounding, officially released beatles tracks I ever heard :faint:)

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Dyland, lukpac, Lewisboogie and 2 others like this.
  12. gss

Very cool. Thanks for the comparison.

Fact of the matter is that many of those US single mixes could be a little tough on the ears.

13. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

So, which SOUNDS better?

14. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

From a purely scientific standpoint with nothing to do with sound quality, the bigger porcupine on the left seems to be following the smaller porcupine on the right
    and neither seems alarmed by each other's presence. That's a good thing. All-out porcupine fights can leave both severely injured and left to die.
    There is also the theory that they could be related with the porcupine on the left being a mother or father to the one on the right.

15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It looks to me like the porcupine on the left probably has a more dynamic personality.

BGLeduc, polchik and The Elephant Man like this.
  16. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Can somebody post the DR numbers on the 2017 mono CD?

gss likes this.
  17. gss

This would be great. Would love to compare it to 2009.

18. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

@Mal posted samples illustrating one such example, the removal of Paul's lips smacking on "Eleanor Rigby," here:
    2009 Beatles Mono Box ... 6 years later

19. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

Just listened to the 2017 version from the superdeluxe box set version and it's much deeper and fuller sounding than the 2009 remaster.
    I kid you not!

BGLeduc and gss like this.
  20. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Deeper, I agree. Fuller, I do not. Mids sound sucked out to me on the 2017.

21. gss

Got the box today. Only listened to the stereo. Mucho bass. Mucho clarity on otherwise hidden elements.

Will check mono tomorrow.

A very fun package for sure! :righton:

goer likes this.
  22. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

It's my understanding that the 2017 mono is a direct transfer from the tapes. When comparing the DR values between the 2009 mono (Album details - Dynamic Range Database ) and 2017 mono (Album details - Dynamic Range Database ), the 2009 shows to have better dynamic range. Can EQ or other digital adjustments increase the dynamic range on the 2009, or has the 2017 mono been altered during the mastering of the CD?

23. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I noticed a few examples of this type of 'restoration' on the '09 mono box but nothing stood out on Pepper apart from at the very end (see below) - my only real complaint is that it sounds a bit dull (as if it's NR'ed, despite claims to the contrary), a problem with the mastering style on the mono box in general, in my opinion.

I find it odd that they made a new loop for the album-end gibberish on the '09 mono but made it longer than 1.8 seconds (which is the rotational period for 33 1/3 rpm), including a word (sounds like "time") from the part not normally repeated. The new loop repeats every 2 seconds - not sure why they did that if they went to the trouble of making a new loop.

Does the 2017 mono have the 15 kHz tone? It's not on the master - needs to be added in, either afresh or taken from an earlier issue.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  24. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Worse than inspire of all the danger on Anthology 1?

wayneklein likes this.
  25. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Voted for the 2017 one.

The 2017 mono version is more direct and sounds fuller. Love them both.

BGLeduc and gss like this.