SH Spotlight BEATLES PHOTOS - It's time again. By request, take a look~

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

More faves.....

2. mrwolk

A few more....

3. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Any idea when these shots were taken? John & Paul look like late 1966 while Ringo & George look like summer 1967.

4. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

It does go out of tune fairly easily, though someone helped me lock the strings and it stays in tune a little better. It's really bad at staying in tune if you try to play lead on it

5. wes

wes Senior Member

I'd like to get one.... I've done some reading up on em, and some of the consumers have said that theirs go out of tune really easy...

Love the sound of em especially on "I Feel fine" and "Every Little Thing"...
    I think he used a 12 string 325 for Every Little Thing......

The 325 with a vox sounds very cool.... It seems to have a rich big bell like tone when it's strummed....

Me want!

6. No one said earlier: the guy in the golf cart who looks like Randy Newman
    is the late (sadly not bulletproof) Mal Evans.

He played Vox organ on "You Won't See Me" (one note, held) and
    anvil on "Maxwell's Silver Hammer".

He was the swimmer looking for the White Cliffs Of Dover in the HELP film.

7. Here's my favourite.

The year I called myself "Cloth Ears" here I used George from this pic as my avatar.

Attached Files:

8. camrock

camrock Active Member

Playing upside down, although technically limiting, for a left-hander of McCartney's ability can deliver a very pleasing sound (upstrokes without the mechanics of an upstroke, and vice versa). My recollection is that Gruff Rhys of Super Furry Animals plays like this as a matter of course, generally on an acoustic, for exactly this reason.

I'd never physically seen a left-handed Rickenbacker (and barely any decent southpaw guitars full stop) until I got my first 330, so being able to function upside down was a necessity if I ever wanted to play a nice guitar when I was a kid. Playing barre E and A on an upside down Rickenbacker, including a short-scale model, is relatively straightforward with some practice.

Absolutely.

9. mrwolk

More...

10. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

I don't have a Vox AC30 (The only Vox I own is the Brian May practice amp), but I have played it through one and it does have a very high treble, chimey tone through that amp. Sounds great

11. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I would think somewhere around Mystery Tour period.

John & Paul, freshly shorn of mustaches.

12. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

The girl with George left 2nd row seems to be the beautiful but tragic actress Imogen Hassall. She was well known in the UK in the 1960s, but in 1980 killed herself. I could becwrong, but it looks like her FWIW?

13. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

The third one here (the panoramic stage shot, with the red curtains) - where and when was THIS taken? All three guitarists are playing unfamiliar instruments (Fender Strat, Gibson EB2 bass, and Gibson ES335) - whilst I know that both John and George acquired Strats in 1965 and George briefly used a Gibson ES semi in late 1965, I can't recall seeing Paul ever pick up a bass of that type in the 1960's.

14. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

John with a red Gibson and Ringo(?) with a splash cymbal on a white/cream colored drum set.
    Suspect picture. Though I suppose it's possible that in an early (late '62-early '63) gig like that they might have found themselves in situation where they had to use someone else's equipment. Maybe on a date outside Britain.

15. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

George had one identical to it. It later became his painted "Rocky" that's in "I Am The Walrus"..
    I don't recall ever seeing John with his after '66.

ps. Thanks Steve for this thread.
    Some of these photos I'm seeing for the first time. :righton:

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Well, on I FEEL FINE and EVERY LITTLE THING, John is playing his Gibson J-160E... It's plugged in on I FEEL FINE and acoustically miked on EVERY LITTLE THING.

I don't think the 325 through a Vox amp has a rich tone. It "clanks"! A good thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFRsUydn2w4

17. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

This one always strikes me as very cool.

Attached Files:

18. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Thanks to all for posting these great photos, probably about 90% of which I'd never seen before!
    This coming from a major Beatles fan.

19. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

From the set of Help:

Attached Files:

20. Jerry

Not sure where this is from. Like these other photos I posted, I found a bunch of UPI pictures pasted onto cardboard, some with UPI descriptions, in an antique store about 20 years ago.

Attached Files:

• HDN.jpg
      HDN.jpg
      File size:
      27.6 KB
      Views:
  21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Beatles meet the Spoonful. Cool.

22. Jerry

Some Hari shots:

Attached Files:

23. Jerry

That's right, you mentioned the Spoonful when I first posted that pic in another thread. On the back someone wrote "Steve, Joe & John." Not sure if that applies. It wasn't a UPI print, but was with the batch I bought.

24. wes

wes Senior Member

Huh....

I read from http://www.rickbeat.com/beatles/beatles.htm
    that he used a 325 12 string on the Every Little Thing solo...

Maybe it's the Gibson J-160 that I'm after then...
    I like the sound of his rhythm on the BBC version of Soldier of love.... Is that a 325?

25. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Cool... I was only HOURS old when these were taken. :)

Earlier the Day in Cincy....

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.