Beatles Please Please Me Album Stereo Mix- MFSL Version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoguy, Jul 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo! Thread Starter

I would disagree: I just listened to it yet AGAIN with headphones listening for what you described... Johns guitar stays planted in the right channel throughout the whole track. Not sure what you are listening to.

Onder likes this.
  2. stereoguy

Try listening to them thru a Tube amplifier...you might be pleasantly surprised.

j.barleycorn, ted321 and joelee like this.
  3. stereoguy

Onder: Thanks for posting this. Really cool info to have. I think we can all agree now, that the released take (1) has Johns Rickenbacker on the Vocal track.

ODIrony, aphexj and Onder like this.
  4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Read my profile. Not trying to be snooty.

Strat-Mangler and tubesandvinyl like this.
  5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

My mistake. For some reason I thought the guitars switched sides during the solo, maybe I had an outfake on my playlist

6. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

The old MFSLs were "mastered" for the dark sounding, watt war receivers,amps and speakers that dominated the late 1970's.

The bright, smiley records wake-up those dark sounding period systems.

Try playing an old MFSL on a transparent sounding system....

7. stereoguy

No problem, guy.

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Once you do, your ears will start to hurt enough to make you make run out of the room.

9. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

A few years ago I picked up a copy of the highly regarded Die Beatles and was very impressed. That is until I obtained the MFSL Please Please Me. The MFSL sounded like the best stereo release of this to me. Cant remember why, but it does. Check my profile, if you're so inclined.

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Bologna. Ive heard them. Owned the set for years. And sold the set.

Has nothing to do with being a purist. Has to do with exactly what has been mentioned by those that have heard them, know what they sound like and dislike aspects of the choices that were made regarding eq'ing etc.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Might want to check your copy of Die Beatles because only the ones with -2/-2 matrix are the ones to have. The others don't sound good.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  12. stereoguy

.......OR, you could just turn the treble down a bit and sit back on the cough with a cold beverage.......

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

No, I just listen to other pressings that sound more natural than the MoFi versions. I also don't have treble dials on my amps.

The cold beverage idea is appealing.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    sjaca likes this.
  14. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Thanks, it does have the -2/-2 matrix. I still prefer the MFSL.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  15. sab

sab Forum Resident

Also, on There's A Place (the released take at least, I am unsure about the outtakes), the acoustic guitar is on the vocal track.

tages likes this.
  16. stereoguy

Lol......its always good.

Tommyboy likes this.
  17. stereoguy

18. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Recording The Beatles indicates that they used 2 Twin Track tape machines. Typically Most primary rhythm instruments were recorded on 1, and vocals and solo instruments/percussion on 2. On some songs they would feed track 1 and 2 to second machines 1 and 2, simultaneously adding additional overdubs live.

In many cases Norman Smith recorded both Lennon and Harrison's guitars to track 1 for the primary take, but if you listen closely, he deliberately separates them for some songs. ISHST is a great example of this. On this song you can also hear handclaps on the instrument track which are an overdub supported by the Twin Track to Twin Track transfer.

By the way, it is a gross exxageration to say the early Beatles "stupidly" had just vocals on one track and all the instruments on the other. Listen closely. For example, "Boys". Vocals and Ringo's drums together on the right side. Check out Ana, Lennon's strummed rhythm guitar on the right, Harrison's great picking on the left.

goodiesguy, BeatlesBop and DRM like this.
  19. stereoguy

Fine, but why tell me? I never said otherwise.
    I like the two track Beatles. And I'd never say they were stupidly mixed.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    ODIrony likes this.
  20. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I was simply supporting and expanding on your comment.

Also sharing some detail on how they recorded. Never knew they used two machines.

ODIrony likes this.
  21. stereoguy

>>>Ahhh..... ok, and thank you. Yup, they overdubbed, Two track to Two track for things like the piano on "Misery, possibly Johns harmonica on "Chains", etc. And there was a 4 track multitrack machine sitting in another room! But in 1962, that was used mostly for Classical sessions (altho Cliff and The Shads got to use it soon after it first arrived).

The Stereo mix on the "PPM" is to me, wonderful. As we have discussed, its not just vocals on one side and instros on the other, there are several tracks with instruments on the vocal side. BUT what really makes it great is the echo of the instruments bouncing off the back wall of the studio and getting picked up by the vocal mics, resulting in a "warm blanket of sonics" that gives the stereo mix a nice, full, warm sound.

I have said for years, and I still say, that the really "best" way to listen to the PPM Lp in stereo is thru a vintage tube amp. For some reason, this particular recording really emerges in 3D thru tube playback. I swear this is true.....a few years ago, I had a vintage amp that used 4 EL84s as the finals.......the PPM LP was just MAGIC played thru that amp. I found out later that the finals tubes in the VOX amps The Beatles used that day were ALSO EL84s. I believe that created a certain synergy that made it sound so special.

Then again, I think The Hullabaloos really WERE "Englands Newest Singing Sensations"....
    so dont listen to me......:)

ODIrony, goodiesguy, DRM and 2 others like this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Tubes arent going to change the eq

23. stereoguy

Actually, they do, in their own way. They can make harsh EQ softer and easier to take.

quicksrt likes this.
  24. stereoguy

So, today I gave "With The Beatles" the same intense listen.

I'd like to know for sure what is going on in "Little Child'. The song has a consistant, clean tonality, UNTIL the Harmonica solo kicks in....then, all of a sudden, the sound has all this dirty bottom end. Once the solo is over, BAM , its back to the clean tonality.

My take: They spliced in a harmonica solo from another take that was recorded with a different EQ. Those EMI engineers were splice crazy.

A similar thing happens in "Roll Over Beethoven". The song has a certain tonality until the vocal mic is faded up (after the intro) and then it changes radically.

And "Money" as we all know, is like a Sonic Mess.

I suppose these sonic anomalies didnt really show themselves much on the playback equipment of the day. Now, however, with the incredible equipment we have, they do.

Funny thing tho.....You play the Billy J Kramer records, made the exact same time, same studio and same equipment, and they sound totally different! Clean as a whistle.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  25. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Sitting on the cough, not so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.