Beatles Private Tour Presented As A Contest

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by britt2001b, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Two questions:

1.) What were those concrete slabs built for?

2.) Did you go back and retrieve the hash?

2. 1. Anti blast walls to somewhat protect planes.
    2. No

dbacon and longdist01 like this.
  3. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

You do know that The Beatles lived in The President in mid 1963, before they got flats and so on. Here they are with an acetate of She Loves You in July1963, President on the right.
    bol.com | On Air - Live At The BBC: Volume 2, The Beatles | CD (ALBUM) | Muziek

4. Wow, no I didn't know that. No wonder I went on my accidental, unguided Beatles tour of London. It was preordained! I might have stayed in one of their rooms, who knows?

5. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

The spirit of The Beatles! They got the same tube too!

6. It makes my story even cooler to know that the Beatles lived at the President. I'm gobsmacked!

nikh33, longdist01 and britt2001b like this.
  7. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member Thread Starter

:doh: The President was a hotel that I considered when booking our trip but chose elsewhere! I had no idea that The Beatles stayed there. I wish now that I had chosen it. I'm glad for you that you did!

What a great story to have!!

nikh33 and Mark E. Moon. like this.
  8. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

Just a bit of product placement - did you notice that the customer picks up a copy of the Magical Mystery Tour EP at the 1'20 mark and starts to leaf through it.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Derek Slazenger and britt2001b like this.
  9. lennonology

I stayed at The President a few nights in 2003. The first night, I convinced the manager to let me have a look into a few rooms and I was able to positively identify which room the Beatles were photographed in (and presumably took up residence).

I promptly changed my reservation and spent the next two evenings with the spirit of the group c. 1963!

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

N.B. It's a different room number than the one listed in The Beatles London, it was actually the room next door.

nikh33, BeatlesBop and britt2001b like this.
  10. britt2001b

Ok, here's an interesting side note from our trip but it was not part of the Beatles' tour, only passed by it quickly while riding on the top deck of an open air bus during an evening tour of London. I managed to get a photo and a video but we were moving rather quickly. I filmed the video as we were moving east on the Strand and snapped the photo moving west on the Strand during our return. It's the Savoy Hotel. Some viewers of this thread might have stayed there, but you might not be aware of something that happened here in 1965. (Actually it happened behind the Savoy Hotel).

I have always thought that Bob Dylan's film of "Subterranean Homesick Blues" (you know, the one where he holds the word cards) was filmed in New York City. But no, it was filmed in London just behind The Savoy in an alley way. Here's a link that will give you the story:

Exactly 50 years ago Bob Dylan was stood in a London alleyway

[​IMG]

Since I can't post two video's in one post, I'll continue below.

11. britt2001b

Click on this google maps link and have some fun!

Google Maps

Please reply if you have stayed at this hotel and never realized it was a part of 60's music history!

EddieMann and longdist01 like this.
  12. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Great thread! I have got to get my @$$ to London!

Miller92473 and britt2001b like this.
  13. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

The average member of this forum wishes they were wealthy enough to even work at The Savoy! :righton:

nikh33, adriatikfan and britt2001b like this.
  14. edenofflowers

You really do. It's a terrific city that I've visited hundreds of times but still know I haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg of. It goes from rural to historic to commercial in the space of a bus stop. I love the place and would love to live there. There's always something going on.

britt2001b and longdist01 like this.
  15. britt2001b

Picture # 24:

Since the signage identifies this location I'll ask what major Beatles' event happened here? The event that I'm looking for led to the breakup of The Beatles. Do you know?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  16. britt2001b

Thanks for posting this. I wasn't sure if those concrete barriers even existed anymore. The day after our Beatles tour, we took another tour that took us outside London to sites in southwest England. I seemed to remember that much of Magical Mystery Tour was filmed in that area but I wasn't quite sure. It was not part of the tour. I have to admit though, I was looking for these!

Mazzy likes this.
  17. lennonology

John and Yoko's initial meeting with Allen Klein.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

britt2001b likes this.
  18. britt2001b

You got it! Congratulations you know your stuff!!

19. britt2001b

John & Yoko met with Allen Klein for the first time at The Dorchester in the Harlequin Suite (see below). This is where Klein convinced them that he could stop the bleeding of The Beatles finances. John & Yoko in turn convinced George and Ringo but Paul had doubts.

John & Yoko with Allen Klein (not sure if this photo is of this initial meeting)

[​IMG]

The Harlequin Suite as it is now (I don't think that I would want to stay here....bad vibes!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. britt2001b

I've looked for the Grapefruit promo film but can't find it. I would love to see it!

discreetmusic likes this.
  21. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Looks like Lennon has a naked woman on his tie.

britt2001b likes this.
  22. britt2001b

I was amazed at all the places that I recognized unexpectently from movies. For example, while we were walking from our hotel to the nearest underground station I looked to my right and there was the MI6 headquarters building that I've seen in James Bond movies many times.

[​IMG]

Miller92473 likes this.
  23. edenofflowers

Another hotel I
    Shhhhh! It's a secret! :shh: :righton:

britt2001b likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.