Beatles Red vs Blue (poll)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dinstun, Jun 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I didn't;) With Who, Stones and Kinks I could easier say "1967-70" but With The Beatles.......c'est impossible

2. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I found that picture on the 'net - not my actual discs. :) This is mine... https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-1967-1970/release/1666022 but I don't have the sticker on the sleeve, that tells us it's not the standard black issue.

3. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Neither. I've never cared for these 2 comps, and never bought them. Both are loaded with songs I'd be tripping all over myself to dash for the "advance track" button. I'd much rather assemble my own Beatles favorites comps, and have, ever since the miracle of cassette recording decks. While I do love many of their big hits, just as many make me cringe or am just flat sick of, like "Let It be", "Long &Winding Road", "Love Me Do", "Yesterday", "Michelle", "Yellow Submarine", "Hey Jude", etc. There's just SO many more deep album cuts and b-sides that I like much more that I would prefer to hear on a collection.
    However, I think these two collections are perfectly fine for the average Beatles fan who doesn't want to buy a bunch of Beatles product, but I'm a Beatles fan from day one and I have a good-sized collection to pick and choose from, like most forum members here. I'm just not the "target audience" for these two compilations. :shrug:

trumpet sounds likes this.
  4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Red period no question: energetic, fun, sound and record like a real band.

But I would take the blue period over the studio recordings any other artist released from 67-70.

5. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

In the minority, but Red for me. You can hear the progression, the maturity coming in, the growth in experimentation and the fun they're having with it.

I love both albums, but the Blue sometimes has songs overplayed on the Classic Rock station in Philly, so I've had my fill of the Blue album.

duggan, Moshe and shutdown66 like this.
  6. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I wish they would have put more tracks on the Red album. 4 more songs. I saw her Standing There among three others.
    I choose Blue.

7. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Yes, add I Saw Her Standing There, It Won't Be Long, No Reply and Taxman (all openers too!) and that would be more representative.
    As there's room for two more songs (Red being Capitol-like light on two sides) I'd toss in Twist and Shout and Long Tall Sally and call it the greatest double album Greatest Hits ever!

8. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Me too.

9. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

Red. I was 8 years old in 1962 and I think the early Beatles years awakened my love of music, so these resonate more with me than the later period. Love them both of course.

10. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Blue for me. "Strawberry Fields Forever", "A Day In The Life", "I Am The Walrus", "Hey Jude", "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Here Comes The Sun" and on and on.

11. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Red. To this day, my favorite era of the The Beatles has always been pre-1967.

Fred68 likes this.
  12. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident Thread Starter

Love the UK colored vinyl versions. They sound very good to me.
    Yes, Past Masters works well in the context of all the other albums. But it is somewhat lacking as a "greatest hits" compilation.

I think the Red/Blue albums are the perfect introduction (and were my first Beatles purchases way back when), and much better than the too short 1 album. One 80 minute CD is just inadequate.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  13. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I voted for the blue album, but my actual favorite period goes from December 65 (REVOLVER) to August 68 (Hey Jude/Revolution single).

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, for me it is both, but that is not a choice.

15. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

It's only the line of demarcation between the years 1966 and 1967 that put "Yellow Submarine" and "Eleanor Rigby" in the early Beatles period. They were becoming highly experimental on Revolver. The Red album is early Beatles into transitional Beatles.

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  16. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I Looooooooove the blue album, LOVE it, spent many a late night, post pub with friends, back in my youth listening to this on the cd player (back in the 90's.) Just a great late night soundtrack. And I love it despite there being many better songs that could've been included to make it an even better album.

The red album is too short, its still wonderful but would've been rated higher by me if it was a full double album length, too many good tracks missing.

But the 67-70 era always wins for me so will always be blue!

gja586 likes this.
  17. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I never bought the blue or red albums but I definitely prefer the '62-66 Beatles to the later ones. 1967 is probably my least favorite Beatles year (aside from '62 but that doesn't count).

DennisF likes this.
  18. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Blue.

19. 007james

007james Forum Resident

Either one is 100% perfect from a personal view but I really like both of them equally .......

notesfrom likes this.
  20. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

The Blue Album because I think it was the the first record by The Beatles I ever heard. I'm just as fond of what's on The Red Album.

21. John54

John54 Senior Member

Both. Can't pick.

22. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

blue

23. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I lean more towards their later output, so would have to say "Blue", but have grown tired of their psychedelic material.
    I love Rubber Soul and Revolver, so I would have to also say "part of Red".

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The Red album is a strange compilation. As another poster said, too many Rubber Soul tracks and not enough Revolver. It also is far too short for a double LP or CD compared to Blue. I've never understood why Red doesn't include some B-Sides, unlike the Blue, which includes a lot of them. I would add Rain, I'm Down, This Boy, Taxman, Here There & Everywhere & I Should Have Known Better to Red to make it more balanced and more similar to the Blue.

duggan likes this.
  25. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I think there was a different understanding of compilations back then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.