Beatles references in films

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Evan L, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist Thread Starter

I, while watching movies lately, noticed that there are a fair amount of references to the Fab Four in them. I'll give a few examples here....

1)PANIC ROOM-During the time that Jodie Foster and her daughter are trapped in the room, the diabetic daughter is about to go comatose. To keep her mind off of it, she recites Beatles album titles. "Help!, Rubber Soul, Yesterday And Today...."
    2)MICHAEL-John Travolta, during the film makes a reference to "John and Paul" "The apostles?" "No, the Beatles. All you need is love!"
    3)INDEPENDENCE DAY-Judd Hirsch, in a plane flight, refers to John Lennon. "Smart man. Shot in the back. Very sad."

Can any of you think of any others? No actual Beatles films, please.
    Post changed to fix mistake.

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Here's a great one: check out the 4 vultures in the Disney classic The Jungle Book. I guarantee they'll look and sound very familiar!;) I understand they make a return appearance in Jungle Book 2, currently in theaters, but I haven't seen it yet.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

That's actually Independence Day, not Armageddon.

4. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

In the Blues Brothers movie, when Elwood and Jake are sittin' in the sauna with Steve Lawrence discussing the show they're gonna do and how much money they'll make.

Steve Lawrence replies "$5,000 just like that huh?" "Who do you think you guys are, The Beatles?"

5. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

The best is in The Rock, when whatsisname receives a Beatles Lp and claims "These sound much better".

Jimbo, you will make me watch TJB tonight. Thanks, I guess ;-)

6. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

In one of the Micheal Caine "Harry Palmer" films (possibly "Funeral in Berlin"), a scene takes place in a Communist Party elite goods store with "A Hard Day's Night" blasting in the background.

Forrest Gump: footage of John from "The Mike Douglas Show" combined with Tom Hanks and Dick Cavett.

7. sgb

sgb Senior Member

And, of course, one of the James Bond films (forget which one) has a scene where Connery says that drinking a stirred martini is like listening to the Beatles without earmuffs.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Do Beatle Records Count? If so, Nick Cage in The Rock with the "Meet The Beatles" LP...

9. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Of course I cant remember the name of the movie, but I think it was a buddy cop type movie. Anyway, one of the characters gets something like an original mono Beatles album that is super rare and he is telling the other guy how cool it is. The other guy is like "you paid how much for it?". Seems to me the building gets blown up or something happens and the guy wants to go back in for the record. Anybody remember this one?

10. RDK

RDK Active Member

Uh... how 'bout the entire "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" flick? ;)

11. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Men In Black. While showing new recruit Will Smith around MIB Headquarters, Tommy Lee Jones demonstrates a new "alien" sound system. Jones: "Of course this means I'll have to buy "The White Album" again!":laugh:

12. AKA

AKA Senior Member

"I Am Sam" is filled with Beatles references.

"Independence Day" also comes to mind. Judd Hirsch's character says "All you need is love, John Lennon, smart man, shot in the back very sad."

13. Evan L

WHOOPS!

You guys are right, it was Independence Day, not Armageddon. That's what I get for typing that so early in the morning!

Evan

14. AKA

AKA Senior Member

It's okay. I didn't even read through the whole thread before I posted my gobbledygook.

15. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member

Don't worry about it. I can't tell the difference between the two either.

16. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

In Rainman, where Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise are in the motel looking at an old picture of themselves, Rainman starts singing I Saw her Standing There.

Tom Cruise then asked him "do you know any other songs by The Beatles Ray?", right before he starts screaming hot water burned baby!

17. ascot

ascot Senior Member

In "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", Ferris is talking to the camera and says "I quote John Lennon: 'I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me.' A good point there. After all, he was the walrus."

Later, Ferris is seen in a parade singing "Twist and Shout". They used the Beatles recording in the film with overdubs.

18. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Shampoo with Warren Beatty and Julie Christie, plays a few tracks from Sergeant Pepper during a party.

19. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

That's The Rock.

20. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

Wish I could remember the title (help me out, Bond fans), but doesn't Connery/Bond then make an approving mention of the Beatles in a later film? The implication being that the moviemakers originally felt Bond would be too sophisticated to appreciate the Beatles, but then had to have him reverse his opinion to stay hip. I love that.

I think the first comment was in Goldfinger...?

21. Michael

That White Album remark made me smile in ID4...Those movies are
    best described as
    "Mega Blockbusters" leave your mind at home and logic too...if not taken seriously a fun time for all...I dug both as It's nice to ecape in a movie once in a while...Now tell me...Would'nt ya wanna be on the astoriod? or flyin those cool jets on ID4?

22. Evan L

I bet John Lennon would have!

23. Michael

After living the life he had, that would have been entertainment to him! LOL...I still miss him. What a tragety. Poor soul.

24. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Hi sgb, that line's in Goldfinger.

mud-

25. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

Mr. Mudbone -

Please see my previous post -- do you remember a pro-Beatles Bond statement in a later film (Thunderball)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.