Beatles Remasters on Vinyl (part 12)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Here we go again.

3. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Well some of the hipsters might be audiophiles too! And those with "more discriminating ears" could now be just way too uncool for school.
    What are "more discriminating ears" btw? I have two at the moment, so I guess I'd be looking for at least a third (no not the engineer)...:)

4. heyday2day

heyday2day Forum Resident

I have read here that there are good pressings out there though after my experience it is really hard to believe that is true. I got so tired of sending copies back and forth just to be disappointed again that I began to "settle" for what I consider less than good quality. I then began to get paranoid that perhaps what I was hearing was being considered a good pressing in some quarters. Every single Beatles album I have had thus far (from the new set) has had pops-cracks and static in the music bed. It's always worst at the beginning of each album. I've tried running them each through the disc washer twice and then dry cleaning each before playing but I can't shake the snap, crackle and pops that pervade every new Beatles album. I began to think that perhaps I forgot what a good pressing really is so I got out some Byrds Sundazed mono albums, Classic Records Who reissues to make sure it wasn't my ears or my system. It's not. It's the pressings. I'm truly gobsmacked that the reissues of the freakin' Beatles vinyl catalog is this big of a clusterf**k.

I have no idea what is going on behind closed doors but I'll be severely disappointed if heads don't roll and if Rainbo's future business prospects aren't choked to a stop. I want to see it addressed and fixed by those in charge but I suspect that they will keep shilling these absolutely crap pressings on an unsuspecting public while keeping a watchful eye on their bottom line. I've never been more disappointed and dissatisfied with a music release.

5. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

"more discriminating ears" is a fancy way of saying "I think I'm better than you"

and sorry but I don't know a hipster on this earth that would listen to the copy of AR that I received and been happy with it. You'd have to be completely without hearing to not know that something really horrible was going on.

6. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I once was told - "insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome". I've decided to keep my sanity and stay on the sidelines until the AAA version is released in 2019.

7. imarcq

"I think I'm better than you....and I'm way too fat to fit into Skinny jeans now anyway" :)

8. Really well written. You should send Capitol EMI an email in letter form right now. The more the get... well we shall see. I already wrote mine. Send to: [email protected]

9. imarcq

Unlike! A Hard Summer's Tent.... [no rudeness intended but it kinda has a good ring to it lol]

I have the EU cut and it doesn't have stamped numbers, all hand scribed. So can one assume that this could explain a few things?

10. heyday2day

heyday2day Forum Resident

Not sure it will do anymore good than just making me feel a little better for letting off some well earned ire but I will follow through with your suggestion. If I receive a response I'll post it here.

11. If everyone here wrote something about their bad experience, someone will take notice. Strength in numbers.

12. My AHDN also has machine-stamped numbers, not handwritten ones like all the others do. Mikey has a point--that is a bit odd.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

My question is: Are there any albums with which no one has reported troubles?

14. imarcq

So why just the USA set? I just checked the EU version and (as I posted earlier) it's all handwritten, and is consistent with the whole EU box. So the USA version was different for some reason. Interesting.

15. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

The numbers are nearly all put on during the cutting, not the plating. Sean should answer this. Possibly a replacement had to be cut for US Production.

16. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Really enjoying The Beatles for sale...EU box..Is this one of their better recorded/ sounding records?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

imarcq likes this.
  17. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

My "Past Masters" is perfect....and it's a US one.

imarcq likes this.
  18. imarcq

I do remember that Sean (third) said two sets were made - one for EU and one USA. So wonder why the USA AHDN has the stamped matrix and the EU a hand scribed one? He hasn't posted for a while, maybe busy with the mono's?

19. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Ok...just finished listening to "Let it Be" ( a replacement for a total "non-fill" Pepper) and it sounds perfect. I asked the clerk at the shop if he's had returns, etc. and he mentioned that nothing has been returned. I told him about the issues folks have had and that these were pressed at Rainbo. "Really, Rainbo?" he said, with a frown on his face..."Why didn't they pick another place?"....he sighed. So he's a bit in the know, but not enough to say that this is a major issue. They bought one copy of each album, no box sets.

20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Boy, I cant agree more. I also gave up...crackle in the vinyl from start to finish almost constant. Rainbo should be closed down...they have really tarnished the integrity of vinyl on a major release. How could they have not known how bad these were?

21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Thanks for the link...I sent the following....Thought you should know I gave up trying to get just decent copies of the new Beatles albums. Horrible crackling from beginning to end on one and horrible distortion on another. Gave up exchanging and got a refund, to the credit of Elusive Disc. I own thousands of albums..no, it is not my turntable. You must know this is an issue and I certainly hope you will at least acknowledge this. Many people have lost $$ shipping back and forth. Mine were U.S. editions. Thank you for listening...I realize you folks didnt actually press the vinyl.

Warm Regards,
    John Ridgway

Sent from my iPada

Electric Sydney and Mazzy like this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I sent a letter...yes, you will feel just a bit better!

23. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

After the quite nice 2012-Sgt. Pepper's I decided I have enough good (and better) stereo-vinyl to last my lifetime and bought the MFSL "Rock of Ages"! :)
    All considered I think EMI/Apple did quite a nice job with the 2012 remasters (especially the mono-versions), but made a mess of these vinyl re-releases.
    I think they really should have gone for quality instead of quantity; go ''all analogue", beter pressings, better QC, the works! They should have aimed to make better versions compared to the originals!

24. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Bought yesterday my first EU copy of The White Album - perfectly flat, no scuffs or non-fill whatsoever.

Curiosity, struttincool and imarcq like this.
  25. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

?? you mean the mono tracks on the Past Masters vinyl, and Only a Northern Song ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.