Beatles Remasters on Vinyl (part 12)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I've posted many times previously on this. I use a file to shave off the excess plastic. In most cases, the operation is simple and you'd be surprised how little has to be taken off. Sometimes for instance, the paper from the label can just protrude over the spindle hole a little and that is enough to give you an eccentric revolution. Those are the easiest cases, though. I have seen cases where one side is 'wildly' off centre and that involves enlarging the spindle hole to a point where it is noticeable. In those cases, maybe it's better to look for an exchange, but the problem is that the stampers were probably all misaligned anyway to begin with so you won't find a well centred LP in the entire run.

You need to find the part of the record where the circumference protrudes most on revolution. This is not as easy as it sounds, particularly if your eyes are 50+ years old! The part of the spindle hole that needs alteration is directly in line with/opposite to that part of the record's circumference. You need to run this 'test' several times to be sure that you have the right spot. I usually use one of these page markers (sticky on one end and colour coded on the other) which I put on the label with the coloured section just about near the end of the paper label at the spot I think the problem occurs. In that way you can compare and evaluate the position when the disc revolves. It could be to the right or left of the marker if not right on it. Once you've determined the spot, you need to slowly and very carefully shave a little off the wall of the spindle hole. The danger is (and I've been there) that in the beginning you will shave too enthusiastically and you could ruin the record. Just do it carefully, slowly and methodically and test the efficacy of the action each time by putting the disc back on the turntable with the spindle pressed against the part you have been shaving. The beauty of this is that you really do get better at it after a while and just to be reassuring, if you do it properly your spindle holes will not end up looking like a 'dog's dinner' and as I have posted previously many of the 'repairs' are invisible but this depends on how badly off centre the disc is at the start.

Many people, no doubt, will find this a tad obsessive? I think that watching a cartridge trace an eccentric disc is just dang ugly as is a cartridge struggling with a warped disc. Both of these issues can be resolved, in most cases, so I figure why not?

2. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

thanks

3. KALEX

KALEX Forum Resident

Can someone in the know please tell me...
    If I order the box from Popmarket, am I certain to receive EU/Optimal pressed records? Is there a possibility that I might receive US/Rainbo pressings?

4. marknoir

marknoir Forum Resident

I wrote twice to them asking this very question - zero reply...

5. marknoir

marknoir Forum Resident

So I broke down and ordered a EU box from Amazon UK (after returning a defects-full US box). Ordered on the 11th, still not in site, no info on tracking. Contacted them today and cancelled it. I guess it's just not in my stars. BTW, Target price is back to $339 from Christmas sale of $280

6. KALEX

KALEX Forum Resident

Based on what I've been reading about their C.S., that's kinda what I figured. I read above that there's a sticker indicating pressing location. If it's not the EU, I suppose I could return it. Popmarket's site says unopened items may be returned within 30 days for a refund. However, unless it's a defective item, the buyer pays return shipping. With something this heavy, this would be a cost prohibitive experiment.

7. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

Could be a moot point - the item shows as backordered now.

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks!

9. KALEX

KALEX Forum Resident

Really? I have it in my cart. When I open the checkout page, it says "In Stock, ships within 1-2 business day."

10. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

So did mine. Ordered it and they accepted my money. Then when I checked my order yesterday it had a backordered status.

11. marknoir

marknoir Forum Resident

OOps! Just brought my EU box thru the door! So Amazon UK cancelled the cancellation. Confusing, but it's here...

imarcq likes this.
  12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Enjoy! Let us know how it sounds.

13. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

And that is why I didn't order from them...even yesterday when they were doing 10% sale and deal of the day. Total was somewhere around $280.

14. noname

noname Member

Congratulations and good luck! :goodie:

Hope, you'll have lots of fun with it. When it's flat, it's great!

15. rickboy

rickboy Forum Resident

I have been a member for two and a half years but just got internet. This my first post. Never heard a parlophone or UK white album, only capitol and apple- both U.S. manufactured. I like my Capitol red-orange label white album. Late '70's issue. Can't listen to '87 CD. I run thorens TD160 and cart is shure V-15RS with a jico. Would like to know -how to get great TWA playing in my music room? Thanks, and I enjoyed reading all the great posts til late last night. Also not sure on set-ups here for my name etc.

16. rickboy

rickboy Forum Resident

mark if you are ripping into that EU box toss on that white one. Looks like it
    WAS in your stars. Should an EU version be in mine.

17. marknoir

marknoir Forum Resident

Welcome to the insanity :)

I have two orange-labeled TWAs, one early (same stampers as Apple, gatefold says "Apple Records", deep-groove label, heavy cardboard jacket), one late ("Capitol Records" on gatefold). To my ears, the early pressing sounds better, it is not as compressed and not as loud, cleaner, has more bass. Both of them, however, are not great. In this particular case, I think the new remaster will sound better... To be fair, I'm not a big fan of late Parlophone (Blue Box variety) TWA either, and not MFSL for sure - have them as well. My staple is the analog DMM German issue, but they are expensive, happened to pick one up reasonable. So I'd say go with the 2012 remaster, EU preferably. For under $30 you can't go wrong.

18. marknoir

marknoir Forum Resident

Came in a factory EMI box WITH NO SECONDARY OUTER AMAZON BOX. Interesting. Intact, no damage. Phewwww...

19. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

A fine rat tail file will do the job, something close to the diameter of the record spindle. A 1/4" diameter file would be good. I use jewelers files. Sorry for the large image. I couldn't find anything better.
    [​IMG]

20. noname

noname Member

Your box set probably started its journey with the outer amazon box set, which fell apart on its way, which may explain why it took longer to arrive.

21. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Mine took a little over a month to get here from Amazon.uk. Outer box was torn to shreds, but thankfully no damage inside.

22. noname

noname Member

OVER A MONTH?! Wow, that's long. Both my second set and the third (a replacement box) sent from UK arrived next day after placing orders.

23. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Yep, placed order on Nov. 17 and finally arrived on Dec. 20. Amazon customer service was great, refunded me the shipping costs.

24. sambamaster

sambamaster Forum Resident

Checked at Rasputin's on Telegraph in Berkeley today, just out of curiosity....they have a few titles of the Remastered LPs labeled "made in EU", while others still state a Capitol address. Amoeba down the street seems to have all Capitol discs. I'm guessing, from this and previous posts, that Capitol is beginning to source the product from the EU instead of Rainbo. This is just an educated guess, so don't hold me liable for any Rainbo LPs you might get from any US retailer, online or otherwise. I'm wondering if others are noticing the same...???

25. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident

If you're in the States, noname, then that's incredibly fast to get your stuff from overseas. A month is kinda long-ish, but not excessively so, especially at the holiday mailing season. (Mine took about 3 weeks from Amazon France to the US.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.