Beatles Remasters on Vinyl (part 12)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Thanks - I started to go back on the thread but figured someone could give a quick summary. Glad to hear that they are starting to follow up on this and are sending some of these out.

2. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

This has no doubt been mentioned already in this massive thread but I just listened to Sgt. Pepper & WOW, such amazing detail & clarity along with tight, powerful bass. Very impressive.

3. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

I agree, but others thought the bass to be 'boomy'.

4. Excellent! Looking forward to my replacement discs!

5. Then they should turn their bass down. Isn't that why we have knobs on our gear? These sound fab!

6. rickboy

rickboy Forum Resident

Hey-get this! EMI changed hands and now is owned,along with the Beatles catalogue, by a Giant music concern out of Belgium(?) This occurred one week ago-Dec. 22, 2012. Google EMI to read the details. Perhaps we need to write to them for AAA remasters- Or de-masters more correctly.
    Also, new reviews of AR and TWA seem to be varied. Is it worth buying an old one before listening to this new issue? Thanks!

7. This thread is the first time I have ever heard people refer to The Beatles (a.k.a. White Album) as "TWA." I've seen it abbreviated as "WA" and even as "S/T," but never "TWA." It took me a while to figure out what album people were talking about. I usually just laugh off this forum's obsession with the often nonsensical overuse of acronyms, but I just had to comment here as I can imagine many people being confused by "TWA" as I was.

sambamaster and mono-o-mono like this.
  8. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

1 TWA.jpg

I thought Apple bought the defunct Trans World Airlines. :laugh:

9. Alan Elam

Alan Elam Member

Oh...so, maybe THAT might explain why local retailers have been getting EU pressings in stock (hence, again, my unwitting purchase of the OUTSTANDING EU Beatles For Sale). In any event, like I said in my previous post, I plan on replacing all-if not most-of my non-defective-but-otherwise-substandard U.S. RAINBLO pressings with the EU's. However, I'm a little on the fence about whether to replace my U.S. PPM, AR and WTB, as those three are the BEST sounding in the whole boxset. PM record 1 sounds decent enough, but record 2 is full of Non-fill, especially on side 2. So, that one's on the slate for an EU replacement.

However, I've seen by some posts in the last couple of days that Rainblo is apparently trying to redeem themselves by ostenisbly tightening their QC and shipping out better, cleaner pressings. Either way, that doesn't change the fact that their pressings are INCONSISTENT as HELL, not to mention pressed on vinyl of sub-par quality (Probably recycled), whereas the German Optimals clearly were pressed with what look and sound like pure 100% virgin vinyl! And hopefully, the new owners of EMI will simply distribute the EU pressings worldwide, and end their agreement with Rainblo, once and for all!

In any event, I'll be paying a visit to my local retailer to see if they have other EU's in stock for absolute SURE, or if the EU BFS was just some kind of happy accident. To be continued.....

10. As a St. Louisan (St. Louis was TWA's former headquarters before the merger with American Airlines), I only wish that was the case! :laugh:

11. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

I've seen "Please Please Me", "With the Beatles", "A Hard Day's Night", and "Beatles for Sale" as EU pressings here in New England.

12. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

These are my thoughts exactly. But it's the same thing as the Japan vs. US MFSL discs debate. I can't tell a difference, or better yet I could care less about the difference as long as I have a good playing copy.
    I have a couple of Cisco releases that come to mind that have weird surface marks that play silently and sound amazing. I don't care what they look like. They sound good.
    Now, I get the people who are miffed about thier faulty copies and I agree when you pay for a record, it ought to be perfect. But let's face it folks, this is not a perfect world.

The U.S copies sound fine. If you get a clunker, EMI will replace it.
    Spend your money how you like.

latheofheaven likes this.
  13. rickboy

rickboy Forum Resident

The album "The Beatles" can be confused with that English pop group by the same name so we call it
    'the white album". I must admit TWA had me stumped at first but when in Rome do as the Romans do. Now, AAA can cross reference many things but on a music thread we have that acronym under control. I've gotten lots of good advice already, but some including Fremer, rate TWA like a 6 or so(dead pillow). One of the worst in the box. Or is it the best we have ever heard it? Am I dense ? Why would "S/T" indicate white album?

14. "S/T" = self-titled. I've seen it before in reference to the White Album.

15. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

hopefully they get their act together by the time the mono's supposedly are to come out in 2013.

16. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

That's not exactly right. EMI got 'repo'd' by Citibank a while ago, which then sold off the publishing side of the business (it went to Sony/ATV) and the label side (to Universal). As I recall, the EU Commission insisted that Universal sell off some of its holdings to approve the deal, and that may be what you are referring to.

17. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Amen Brother!
    the beave

18. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Hell Bent For Leather......
    My Good US pressings are Damned Good!! Audiophile all the way, So what You talkin bout Willis????
    the beave

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  19. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.