Beatles Remasters on Vinyl (part 9)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

First.
    My boxset is still hanging out in Hamburg.

3. elgobbes

elgobbes Forum Resident

I have my third on the way.

4. Sheesh!

5. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Has anyone detected any sign of this?:

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

It all started there. :cheers:

7. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

congratulations!!!! I'm debating on going to three or hanging it up. I have two peppers with no fill just before the final note right in the silent part. It's like the second box i received was a twin of the first.

8. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yep, sure it did.
    Too bad these vinyl sets get stuck around the same neighbourhood:D

9. If I spilled the kind of coin you guys have on this set I would not rest until I was satisfied. If I had repeat defective titles I would think a call to the pressing plant is in order.

10. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Luckily I went for EU-set. Its not 100% safe bet but havent got that much bad reputation yet.

11. Smart move at this point:thumbsup:

12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Wow. I'm sorry for the hassle.

13. electricberet

electricberet Forum Resident

14. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Already did that. Twice. ;)

Rainbo / EMI have been very silent on this issue so far. Either they have their heads in the sand, or this issue isn't as large as we think it might be. Not that the pressings aren't affected, but perhaps some consumers just don't care or just don't know any better. Or perhaps they haven't actually opened them yet - they could be Christmas presents, for example.

I believe BFTBOMK is a bit better as far as sibilance, but I'd need to recheck it.

15. elgobbes

elgobbes Forum Resident

It is disappointing but at least Amazon has been reasonable. I initially wanted to return the first two for a refund. I figured if I returned it I would wind up regretting it, and then they would be sold out. They did send it from a different warehouse this time, so maybe it's from a better batch.

16. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

I thought about it for my opening post, somebody had to do it. :D

17. I'm going to a listening party at a high end audio shop this evening in San Francisco. Someone from Capitol is presenting a selection of these. I don't want to be a party pooper but thinking if or how I should ask about the pressing issues goin on.

I for one LOVE the sound of these records. My Abbey Road was messed up and it is being exchanged by Acoustic Sounds, but otherwise I'm really satisfied and I have every other previous set and edition. To me, these speak for themselves and I'n not getting into the A-B thing. But I agree as I hear everywhere there are issues from Rainbo.

18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

My Beatles For Sale pre-ordered from Elusive Disc just showed up, as well as a big box of sale-priced Sundazed records. Gonna be a hot vinyl-spinning night at Driver 8 World Headquarters this evening. :righton:

19. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

I think you ought to bring your bad Abbey Road to the listening party and ask them to spin it. I went through two bad copies of Abbey Road and gave up/accepted a refund. They both had many visible scratches in the deadwax area. It was as if someone had sandpapered the record. Many have complained of the same issue.

20. search&destroy

search&destroy Well-Known Member

Happy Beatle Fan

I finished listening to my UK import box set. A friend brought over a few copies of his US pressings. The difference in the vinyl is obvious. the eu pressed is shiny dark black. the us pressed looked a bit cloudy. the labels are different on the records. the jacket is different. the eu printed jackets have a glossy sheen to the them.

this should come as no surprise to the beatle folks here who have posted. thats why the older uk pressings are preferred to the usa pressings. why should it be any different now??

of course the imports are better. so making comparisons to the usa pressed box with previous older uk pressings is ridiculous.

and comparisons should be made only with stereo versions. the mono versions of the first 6 lp's are better then the stereo...thats been a fact for decades.

the stereo versions of please please me, with the beatles, hard days night & beatles for sale in this eu pressed box set are superior to any other stereo version i have.

help and rubber soul are at least as good as any other STEREO version i have.

the only albums that seem to fall short, are abbey road.....and the first disc in the white album

it puzzles me why so few of the usa buyers didnt go for the eu pressed import....imports have always cost more...it was well worth it.....not one issue with the pressings themselves....

sambamaster likes this.
  21. Great idea BUT I just shipped it back to Acoustic Sounds. They will send me a replacement. But it would be a bit tacky to wreck their prty. I just wanna talk to the Capitol Guy.

22. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

What a time to be without a computer, I hope to get mine back soon. I have only been able to follow this thread(s) occasionally and it impossible to keep up with it when you can only view it every other day. :mad: I still have my US box sitting unopened and I am still debating what to do. I am sure this has been covered, but I would like to get any advise on how to remove the slip cover without destroying it (assuming I decide to open mine).

I would like to say a few words about the apparent lack of understanding on the part of the producers (EMI / Abbey Road) on the impact of the higher frequencies that they so casually discarded. Apparently no one ever made them study what what musical signals are actually made of when they were little boys and clearly they slept through the course they should of had on Fourier's theorem and Fourier series. As some of you probably know all musical signals are nothing more than a very complex combination of good old sine waves. And when you truncate the frequency range of the allowed frequencies as you must when you digitize an analog signal the contribution of all of the little sine waves whose frequencies are above the truncation points are lost. Now there are two possible impacts of doing this. The first is that the harmonic structure of the note played by any instrument includes not only the fundamental note (say middle C) but overtones or harmonics. It is these harmonics that make a trumpet sound like a trumpet and not like a clarinet. Fortunately truncating all of the frequencies above 22.05 KHz does only minimal harm to the harmonic structure of most instruments. There is, however, a second impact of this frequency truncation that does a good deal more harm to the musical signal. Much of music is made up of impulse signals (a drum strike or a string pluck) and that leading edge of that impulse signal needs a whole lot of those little old high frequency sine waves to look like a nice sharp impulse signal. Thus any music that has been filtered to remove all of the content above say 20 KHz is going to suffer some loss of true fidelity due to the impact of this filtering on impulse signals.

Now the idea that by not filtering these higher frequencies out of musical signals is going to cause the coils in the lathe cutter head to burn up is simply incorrect. The amount of high frequency content in an impulse signal is minor not major and would not have enough energy to burn out anything unless the input volume was turned up to an absurd level. Also they idea that increasing bit depth to reduce quantization error (especially in the case of the LSB's) is some how going to improve the damage done by filtering out these higher frequencies is again simply incorrect.

IMHO, A very great opportunity was lost here because the people in charge did not have the good sense to use the 24 /192 tapes to produce 24/192 vinyl cutting masters.

alanb and LeeS like this.
  23. mono-o-mono

mono-o-mono Forum Resident

I know this is not your dept, but it would be nice to see a separate Yellow Submarine EP in the mono box set.

jamiesjamies likes this.
  24. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Played side 3 and 4 from Past Masters and was somewhat pleased. The music sounded good in a inoffensive way I guess. This has the current modern mastered vinyl thing going on which is dark and muffled to my ears. One thing that came to my attention is some noise during louder passages, a sort of chh chh chh sound. Anyone else notice this? Get Back and Don't Let Me Down seemed to be the worst offenders. Hopefully I'll get to the other disc sometime this evening.

25. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Another day Im glad Im not into vinyl

direwolf-pgh, therockman and JohnnyH like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.