Beatles Remasters on Vinyl (part4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Yes, but the stereo box won't truly be complete without those 1965 stereo LPs, so they have to get released SOMEWHERE.

3. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

They will be in there for sure - their inclusion makes it a must-buy for many people. If they didn't include them, they'd never hear the end of it from furious Beatles fans - they certainly aren't about to release those mixes as separate discs.

4. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Is the book that comes with the Stereo-box a sort of Anthology-like deal?
    I secretly hope they use excerpts from "Recording The Beatles" for the mono-box-book! :) I gathered the Mono-cd-box seemed be be aimed at a more ''audiophile'' market regarding the packaging and mastering; I hope they continue that practise!

5. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

Ok, not a flipback cover then but there were flaps at the top, that i don't see in this image.

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I’m with you on this. It says “The Beatles In Mono”, not “The Beatles In Mono (plus some other stuff we couldn’t figure out where to put”). Yeah, on the CD box, it was no big deal, a little extra snuck on to the end of a CD. LPs? Thems gonna stick out like a sore thumb. The only place they SHOULD have been included is in the stereo box. They have no business fowling up a box of mono albums. No room for two copies of the same record. No need for the extra expense.

I like things tidy, what can I say?

7. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I think most people who would be excited about the mono box would at least appreciate the importance of those two stray stereo LPs. Personally, I will probably save my money for the mono box, and then use those two 1965 LPs as the basis for my remastered stereo LPs. And, since none of the LPs are being limited (whereas the stereo CDs are louder than the mono CDs), all the new stereo LPs will match the volume of the 1965 LPs! :thumbsup:

8. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Ah yes, well for all we know, that image may be a Photoshop creation.

9. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Well, it would have made the stereo box even more expensive.

10. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

It had flipbacks on the inside of the gatefold.

11. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

"Flipback" refers to the back cover. :)

12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Not if they simply included the original mixes in the box and discarded the remixes. Hell, make them exclusive to the box and sell the remixes separately. Makes more sense than screwing up continuity of the mono box.

The real solution is to say to hell with the remixes. We're working with a classic format, why not use the classic mixes?

13. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Really wish they were offering the 252-page book separately, would make my decision a LOT easier.

14. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

15. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

You're forgetting who we're dealing with here. These collections shouldn't even be digitally sourced at all.

He's talking about the pic of the standing Sgt. Pepper sleeve in the top left of the photo. Sgt. Pepper cover didn't fold around to the back because it was a gatefold cover - instead it had flaps inside the gatefold, which can't be seen in the photo (although this may not be a pic of the actual sleeves).

16. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Me too! I already have more than enough Beatles vinyl, but am really interested in the book, especially if / as it contains new material from K Howlett.. The press release indicates it will be exclusive to the set, but you have to wonder how they might apply a highly-nuanced definition of "exclusive" to make it otherwise available.

Each album will be available individually, and accompanied by a stunning, elegantly designed 252-page hardbound book in a lavish boxed edition which is limited to 50,000 copies worldwide.

The book, exclusive to the boxed edition, is authored by award-winning radio producer Kevin Howlett and features a dedicated chapter for each of the albums, as well as insight into the creation of the remasters and how the vinyl albums were prepared.* The 12”x12” book showcases a wealth of photographs spanning The Beatles’ recording career, including many images which were not included in the 2009 CD booklets.

17. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

nope...

18. MusicIsLove

MusicIsLove formerly CSNY~MusicIsLove

A way the two different stereo mixes could have been released is to have both stereo albums be released as double LPs.

19. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Yep, the front cover has flaps that fold around to the back cover, hence the name "flipback". "Flapback" would've been a more appropriate name.

20. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Should be film-cutting and pasting, analog y'know...

21. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

I'll add to this: is EMI telling us that they followed the CD mastering notes for the USB files and then again for the Lp mastering?

22. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

The flaps of the gatefold cover also fold around to the back. The back just happens to be the inside of the gatefold (an unfolded gatefold is twice as wide as a non-gatefold cover).

23. mihu

mihu Forum Resident

I was thinking like this: If you buy the new stereo vinyl box but want the original RS + H! stereo mixes you can get them easily as 70's pressings.

Those who buy the mono box most often will buy it because the mono albums can't be easily obtained used (on vinyl).

So I think the only reasonable way to rerelease the original stereo mixes of help and rubber soul on vinyl would be as part of the standard stereo reissues. The decision to use the 80's remixes there is the only real bad decision to me in this whole project. (Of course I might change my mind when I first hear them :D)

24. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

The 80's digital remixes of Help and Rubber Soul are available on vinyl, mastered by Wally Traugott for Capitol back in '87. I listed to some of Rubber Soul over the weekend and I didn't think it sounded bad. Of course my 70's Parlophone was better - particularly in the vocals, and less boominess to the bass, but the Capitol pressing was far from awful.

25. tedkul

tedkul Forum Resident

Maybe the Canadian pressings will accidentally have them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.