Beatles 2014 mono LPs going out of print...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The problem with sealed records is they probably have a big scratch, loads of non-fill or a massive warp! Of course you will never know until it is too late or you sell it to an irate Ebay customer. So your valuable sealed rarity Beatles mono Pepper will be worth zilch. Too many issues with Optimal pressings to take that risk.

parkgrover and Marko K like this.
  2. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I'm not sure either. However, I see inherent value to these releases and I wanted just a small investment in them. If I just had an extra Peppers and MMT to go with the others I would feel very comfortable right now. You want to just stash back ups in a safe somewhere just in case you know?

Alex Zabotkin likes this.
  3. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

4. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I believe it's inevitable the the mono LPs will be re-pressed again someday, though keep in mind there was roughly a 30-year wait between pressings of the UK mono LPs (from the 80s until 2014). Also, in the eyes of Apple, they probably feel the mono pressings from 2014 are yesterday's news. The majority of those who really wanted the LPs in mono (and AAA pressings) were satisfied by the 2014 reissues. And since it took over three years for the inventory to be sold, Apple probably feels there isn't enough demand at this time to warrant another pressing. A second pressing could sit on the shelves for quite a while.

Additionally, with respect to the AAA vinyl, the question remains how many stampers were created back in 2014 and how many remain in viable condition to do another pressing. The next time Apple presses up mono LPs, they may be digitally sourced. Again, they probably feel that everyone who was demanding all-analog pressings had their chance to buy them in 2014.

If Apple does another round of AAA vinyl, it seems that stereo LPs would be a more logical target next time around. Think AAAbbey Road. :righton:

5. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

That's just speculation.
    We don't know how they were pressed
    they could have pressed 10 runs already,
    how would we know?

We only know they are out of stock now.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Trashman may be speculating, but it's a reasonable speculation. I very much doubt they did 10 runs - they probably just did one. The market for this kind of thing won't last indefinitely but they're not going to press LP's just to sit on shelves. I suspect it's not out of the question that they sit on it for two or three years (not a long time at all these days) and then do another press run. Back in the 70's when a single LP by the Beatles would easily sell in the millions, then certainly stampers would wear out, but I bet the stampers for these aren't nearly worn out yet. If they just do a new pressing, then there's no buzz, but if they wait three years and re-press them, they can hype them all over again.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  7. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

The reason i don't think it's reasonable to suggest there is only one pressing,
    is that there is evidence that's not standard practice in the industry.
    Watch some of the vinyl factory tours/jacket printing/assembling companies
    on YouTube. There are runs going through them all the time. I can't say i've
    seen specific examples of Beatles, but there are titles flowing through.

I just saw a Furnace Records video that had 100's if not 1,000 copies of
    Beck Sea Change being packaged from Pallas. The album was reissued
    a year ago, clearly another batch arrived in December 2017, the date of
    the video. From what i've read, it's not normal to do one huge batch and
    stick it in the warehouse for four years. There's no space. I work for a distributor,
    that's certainly not our practice.

8. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Regardless of whether they made one large pressing or several small pressings, it seems clear that the mono LPs are now going out of stock. Is there a chance that Apple could surprise us and press more? Sure. But the safe assumption is that they are done with these particular releases for the foreseeable future. Otherwise, they wouldn't have let stocks get so low in the first place.

Mr. Explorer and The Beave like this.
  9. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It's not a "safe assumption" in my view.
    Titles run out of stock before repressing all the time.
    I don't see why it's being assumed they won't get a repress (for years?)
    There was no mention of these being "limited edition".

I have lots of titles i scrambled to buy at a premium because i thought
    they were almost 'gone forever', only to find 6 months later they were everywhere again.
    Generally, stuff stays out of stock when it's virtually stopped selling.
    If there is demand, they'll press more.

81531 and kenbefound like this.
  10. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

If one is willing to wait and gamble that Apple will press more mono LPs in the near future, I wish you good luck. Perhaps they won't wait 30 years like they did last time. :D

The Beave likes this.
  11. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

This is a good point. The excellent quality all analog Neil Young reissues have been in print since 2009.

DeRosa likes this.
  12. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

But there was no big demand in the last 30 years for vinyl really...
    People cared about CDs in the 80s and stereo seemed to be the better choice for the mass audience.
    But these days people are starting to realise that vinyl (if well produced) can definitely sound better and that the mono versions are having a better mix as the vocals aren't panned to one side only.
    I can see the mono albums being repressed as there is demand.

DeRosa likes this.
  13. Yeah nobody should wait until next time. :tiphat:

14. One one pressing of the mono box and probably the same for the individuals. Probably at the same time.

15. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I think MMT is pretty much sold out online at regular price. Checked all the usual places and out of stock.

The Beave likes this.
  16. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Direct Music has copies

Just checked again GONE sorry

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    The Beave likes this.
  17. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

MusicVaultz is now out of stock on the box set. Congratulations if you snagged one at $275. I wonder who will dry up next, Music Direct or Bullmoose.

The Beave and bluejimbop like this.
  18. Vinylfindco

I think they only have the stereo. Can u provide a link? I couldn’t find under a title search.

19. Vinylfindco

Amazon has third party copies starting at $40 for MMT.

20. Vinylfindco

Bullmoose is citing low stock on Mono Masters. They are out of most everything except that one, Revolver and White Album. They still have box.

21. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

Have you all seen the prices for what the 2014 mono Pepper is going for now?
    Insane!

And I've bought WTB and RS both as 2014 mono vinyl brand new (sealed) with no warps and seam splits for 13 euros each...

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Giles Martin's remix obviously caused a spike in demand for the mono version. :)

The Beave and Vinylfindco like this.
  23. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

Even the 2017 stereo vinyl has gone up in prices!
    :o

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Thank you.

25. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Morphine (2) - Good
    Never reached the level sgt. pepper is at currently, but I remember almost dropping like $35-40 and then all of a sudden it got a repress around december without any word just noticed it was back in stock with the distributors when I was reordering cure for pain and decided to get one for myself. A similar thing could happen with these mono reissues, the turn around on getting a record made are still pretty long despite the opening of a few new plants in the past couple years

DeRosa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.