Beatles 2014 mono LPs going out of print...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

The 2014 Red and Blue Albums were AAA from the 1973 UK masters, except the fake stereo versions of "Love Me Do" and "She Loves You" were replaced with the mono versions.

As far as I know, the Capitol Red/Blue masters were last used for the late 1980s Capitol C1 vinyl pressings.

There's a similar situation for the Red/Blue Albums. I'm thinking that QRP has had stampers ready to go since 2014, and are just awaiting the signal to start pressing once the RI pressings run out, which appears to finally be happening. It is interesting, however, that the recent Red/Blue DeAgostini pressings weren't AAA, but rather cut from digital files created when the 2014 AAA LPs were made. I wonder if such digital files were created for mono LPs.

Mr. Explorer and notesfrom like this.
  2. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Digital files for the mono albums were created back in 2009 for the CD reissue program. I imagine those files can be utilized for new LP cuts without much effort. The Red and Blue albums are a little different, in that some of the tracks differ from the 2009 remasters and thus needed new files created.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I would imagine the AAA cut metal parts for the mono re-issues are still in fine shape - same for the Red & Blue LPs. No need to cut new metal from digital files.

I have no idea why DeAgostini didn’t have access to the AAA plates for Red & Blue but I’m suspect it had something to do with money. It usually does...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  4. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I'm guessing it would depend on whether one set of lacquers was cut for each album, or if multiple sets were cut. One lacquer can be used to create enough metal parts for roughly 100 stampers, using the 3-part process. Assuming the stampers can create 1000 LPs each before showing wear, that's a limit of 100,000 LPs from one set of lacquers. Of course, some plants can stretch that number out. But if they are pushing up against 100,000 copies of each album pressed to date, they might be nearing the point where new lacquers need to be cut.

Has anyone figured out the serial number range on the White Albums from the 2014 mono run? That might give us a good idea of how many were pressed.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You're forgetting the mothers. You can make more than 100k from one lacquer. A lot more.

But I doubt they pressed anywhere near 100,000 each of the mono LPs. I'm guessing it's more like 25,000 - which I why I said the metal parts are probably in fine shape.

6. happydeathman

happydeathman Forum Resident

Why did Sgt. Pepper sell out so quickly? Was it deleted to make way for the 50th Anniversary remix, or was it just because it was the album most people associate with The Beatles?

7. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

8. It’s Just one their most popular. And all the hype for it in mono. And 5 plus years isn’t exactly quickly

sonofjim, AnalogJ, ZippyPippy and 2 others like this.
  9. happydeathman

happydeathman Forum Resident

I guess you're right, but I'm professional procrastinator... :winkgrin:

bluejimbop likes this.
  10. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Greatest post yet!
    Beave

11. The Beave

Not your practice but let me tell you that th a Mono Box I just got three weeks ago from Universal Music has the original factory tag on it and that tag says 1/2014. It HAS BEEN sitting in a warehouse for 4 years.
    Beave

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  12. The Beave

Wow, I don't check the thread for a couple of days and look what happened!!!!!
    Wow.....
    Beave

13. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

I thought I read on this forum that the version of Day Tripper used on this set is the USA version first issued on the stereo Yesterday & Today LP. Not true?

14. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Weird. I looked at Music Vaultz today and the LP mono box set was still in stock.

15. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

That is correct. Both original UK and US versions of the Red Album used the stereo mix of "Day Tripper" also found on Yesterday and Today.

DennisF likes this.
  16. The Beave

Nope, just went there 1/2 h o ur ago.........
    Gone.
    Stereo box is still available....
    Beave

17. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

There’s one on Discogs available for $400

18. The Beave

JamesD1957 likes this.
  19. The Beave

On Amazon third party there is one used for $400, then it jumps to a new one for $579!!
    And goes up from there, $799, $831, $999.

But again we must put this in perspective here.
    If the Mobile fidelity box STILL sells frequently for over a grand, then in reality, this box is Still a better bargain, it obviously IS taken from the Masters whereas the MOFI was a botched project, AND it has the Hardcover book, which the MOFI doesn't.
    It's pressed on audiophile vinyl, thicker than the Mofi, so all in all this Box beats the Mofi by a Beatles Mile.
    $1000 is just about right considering the comparison.
    Beave

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  20. The Elephant Man

Ooooops. My bad. Thankfully I picked up my mono box when they were giving them away last year.

21. The Beave

That was an INSANE sale! Below wholesale, just kind boggling.
    $155 or something like that?
    Beave

22. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

they will prob repress it as soon as they are done re-pressing the Christmas box

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

What does an ‘82 mono box go for these days?

24. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Yeah, it was pretty spectacular! Despite the shipping label screw up, I'm sure everyone eventually received their order.

I ordered a Stereo Box, and received an EU pressing! However, wish I had ordered a backup Mono box as well. I eventually got a back up Mono box last month, but at near double the price.

25. The Elephant Man

Yup. With the first time discount and the exchange rate in our favor, who could live with just one box?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.