Beatles 2014 mono LPs going out of print...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Thanks Matthew. But now I don't want to send the price up too high if I buy it! :shake: I guess it's now or never though...

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  2. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

I would go with Acoustic Sounds. They are a great company, its cheaper there and they ship really really well.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Trust me. I’ve had records that I bought 25 years ago that still sound as good as I did the day I bought them.
    If you care for them correctly they will not wear out

4. Pretty.Odd.

Nothing wrong with having a second copy sealed in shrink! Worry about your own collection. :righton:

5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I have records that I bought 45 years ago that sound like new. Always played on good turntables using good cartridges :)

6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

One of the best purchases you will ever make.

hi_watt likes this.
  7. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I purchased a Beatles vinyl box set from them (Stereo) this week and it was shipped in a box with foam padding and received it in 3 days, just got it today actually.

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  8. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

The mono vinyl box doesn't seem to be available any longer from Amazon US. I finally grabbed one yesterday for $322. Last I checked it said there were going to be more back in stock on Jan. 18th but that has now been removed.

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  9. ZoSo794

ZoSo794 Forum Resident

Hopefully all the mono records will stay in print but I will say this, the fact that we got the mono box done AAA at all is insane. I remember being in shock when it was announced, I preordered at amazon for around $370 and had a big smile on my face while I did it. The box is worth twice what I paid IMO, think of how much time and money you’d have to spend to get minty originals. If these do go out of stock I wouldn’t be surprised if the box started going for $1000+ on eBay, if you want it and have the money get it now, you won’t regret it.

10. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

It wouldn't surprise me that the mono vinyl would go oop at some point. The market for mono vinyl is a fraction of the demand for the stereo. Also a lot less than the mono cd box set.

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  11. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Also, with a name like Anthology, it sounds like it's just a collection of their classic songs.

I've always maintained that John would never have let them release such a project with such a bland title.

12. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

I wouldn't be surprised if it reaches $100 within a few months. :D

Yes, pressed by Optimal in Germany. :righton:

13. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

My 2014 mono pepper came with skips, no extra charge.

14. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Mmmmm....I really like the prawn cocktail flavour.

15. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

The mono LP box sets came in their own custom shipping boxes, with foam padding to protect the box in shipment. Any new mono boxes should be shipped in one of these boxes. If not, I would question whether it's really new or not. (A store display copy may have had the shipping box discarded, of course, so if one buys at a brick and mortar shop it may not come with the box.)

From what I recall, the inner white boxes (holding the book and the LPs) were not shrink-wrapped from the factory. At least my copy, obtained through Amazon on release day, was not sealed. The book inside might have been sealed, however.

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  16. Pretty.Odd.

They came in record sleeves when purchased in the box set. Individually, they come in shrink

17. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Anybody have a good price for stereo box? And maybe a more important question, if I have the mono box, do I really need the stereo box? All thoughts and opinions welcome. :)

18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It was due the Fremer's reviews of the stereo (not entirely negative) and likely Sean Magee and others reading Hoffman forum. Shocking that Apple listened to reviewers and buyers but this is how reissues should always be done. It's a shame they did not have confidence to press more copies. I wouldn't rule out a repress at some stage when the boxes are sold out, or even some AAA stereo titles. However this won't happen until they lose interest in Giles Martin doing remixes and they take in the negative feedback from many purchasers.

19. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Well, sometimes the fool and his money makes even more money. Case in point, with the Christmas Box, I bought two copies from Collector's Choice for $103 including shipping. Once the prices took off on the secondary market, I managed to sell one still sealed in the shipping box for $175. So I got one box for free plus over $50 cash! I'll be THAT kind of fool any day of the week! :nyah:

The Beave likes this.
  20. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I buy music to enjoy it. Not to make a profit. Good luck to you but you are making people spend more for things by cutting off their supply to product at rrp.

21. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

You make it sound like one could either enjoy it or make a profit. As if it were not possible to do BOTH. That's a flawed premise, to say the least! And let's be real here for a sec... First of all, I'm not "making" people do ANYTHING. I set a price and folks are free to ignore it or purchase at that price. Secondly, this "music" has been available all over the net since the net existed. It's currently available in full on YouTube, should anyone care to listen to this "music". Also, this title was available to ANYONE who cared to pre-order early (like I did) for the same price ($48- plus shipping). But for folks who at first think "no, I don't want this", only to change their mind once it does, well... what can ya do? There are many records I would like to own that were cheap when they first came out, but are commanding collector price tags that are out of my reach now, but that's the breaks. I don't complain about the guy who managed to pick up two copies of the 'Sweet Thrash' 12" single by McCartney when I found zero. Should I want one, I could always pay the $1,500- or so its going for, but I don't want/need it THAT much. And that's the other thing - it doesn't look like these things will be re-pressed any time soon, so who's to say that at some point $175- might not seem like a bargain for those late-comers who now wish to own it? I make no apologies that while I'm a music fan through and through, I'm also a collector/investor as well. This goes for baseball cards (in the 1980s and early 90s), coins, and yes, records. I've bought items with the intent of selling them on the collector market, just the same as folks do with ANY item which can rise in value. I just find it funny that within the record community some folks look at this as something bad. You wouldn't see people complaining about folks who stocked up on gold when it dipped below $275- an ounce in 2001, so I don't get why some people complain about making a profit on an item here. Especially when the "music" is available for free elsewhere.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  22. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

If u want a stereo, watch for a musicvaultz box set sale.

As for if you need it...id say it depends on what else you already have. i have the mono vinyl box, a hacked together bc-13 vinyl set and the 2009 USB apple. for stereo, I like some albums in the flacs and the 70s UK vinyl for the others.

23. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

My favorite band of all time are The Beatles so one could easily ask me, "So Chris why did you not ever buy the 2014 MONO box set of their albums on vinyl?". Well, to tell you the truth, I have no good reason why I haven't, other than I figured that I was fairly well covered with their catalog on MONO, having the Mono CD box and also having an original Mono U.S. pressing of most of their albums on Capitol. Out of the blue a few weeks ago I got this "Sgt Pepper" vibe going in my head and I thought I'd dig out that old Mono LP and it did not impress.

Fast forward to post #62 of this thread and THAT guy did it for me. First, him being surrounded by mostly McIntosh gear (good by me), I heard that guy out with his very well researched and very entertaining little video. Now, thanks to him, I've discovered that the Mono LP that I really need is sadly out of print (criminal is all I can say, if that really is the case, as it should always be available, in my opinion!), so I called this guy myself for his advice. He claimed in the video to have back stocked a bunch of these, but when I called him (great guy to talk to by the way), he informed me that his stock was now long gone. He did have some good news for me though and that was when he told me that the exact same pressing was in that big 2014 Mono LP box set. I know that I recently saw those around nearby, so I called the local store and they still had a copy, still sealed in the original brown shipping box for $316 dollars, out the door. The next day I went to the store and there it still was and I paid cash for it. I can't wait to open up that bad boy up and start having some fun! A late Christmas gift to myself and it's making me feel like a kid at Christmas all over again.

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

May the Mono be with you. ;)

notesfrom and Chris C like this.
  25. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

Adding i do like some 87 cds as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.