Beatles' SHM-CD releases (CD Japan)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slane

slane Forum Resident

I would argue that if the mechanics of CDs and players give less than perfect playback, then even SHM discs, while better than CD, might still not be as perfect as a ripped file.

So maybe SHM mono discs, if released, won't be as good as my mono CD rip...

Onder and Kim Olesen like this.
  2. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Ripped to lossless. Played theough studio monitors. Pure bliss.....

3. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

I bought Abbey Road and Let It Be first mainly just to have mini LP sleeves to complete the catalog from the mono box. I immediately realized Abbey Road sounded better, I posted about it way back at the beginning. I then sold all my 2009 stereo's in those craptastic sleeves that I hate so much (most were scuffed from taking them in and out anyway) and got all the SHM's that I could afford at the time basically everything from Beatles for Sale and later. My take on them now is that they are the equivalent of what are known as "Hot Stampers".

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I was very careful about spending any money on these...hence, I bought the Revolver SHM since I've always felt that it was one of the three or four beatle albums that are still in serious need of updated aural improvement (a remix would be ideal, but that's another story).

Once I received the SHM copy, I popped my '09 remaster into my CD player and the SHM into the bluray. I A/B'd back and forth as the CD's simultaneously played, spending about half a minute on each and every track from start to finish.

let me say from the outset that I am familiar with the sound and texture of every single Beatle track like I am the back of my hand. And I am constantly on the never ending lookout for the best possible sounding versions of all my favorite classic albums of which there are many. That being said, I am VERY sorry to say that the difference between the '09 copy and the SHM on a scale of 1-10 is at very best a .5.

Of course other speak differently (most notably about Abbey Road) so I don't know if these are worth any further investigation. People are raving about the Stones SHM's but-and it's a huge BUT-these are newly done remasters not simply past masterings re-issued on SHM. That said, I WILL give Sticky Fingers a shot but as far as Beatles (and this is coming from someone who owns every single album five times over, minimum, on vinyl alone), I'm very disappointed.

jsayers likes this.
  5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Glad I didn't buy them! Revolver '09 sounds pretty bad to me.

6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I don't know if I'd go as far as "pretty bad' but among the '09's it has its' share of disappointments. The dirt and clutter in parts of the original album are made even more obvious with the remastering. I preach the word to the mountaintop: all Beatle albums from Rubber Soul onward...REMIX (especially Rev, Pepper and AR).

tezca and BuckNaked like this.
  7. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Enjoying my copies of Abbey Road and Let it Ben shm mini lp.
    Sounds more 'relaxed' on my equipment.

Duophonic, rstamberg and tezca like this.
  8. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

Well the negative reviews have convinced me there's no difference
    I don't know what I'm hearing now ==What should I do==
    Thanks

9. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Buy them if you like the packaging - that's the reason most people get them (and don't bother driving yourself crazy trying to discern any minimal difference in sound).

jsayers and jeffreybh like this.
  10. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

They(the Beatles' CDs)are available from Japan in mni LP sleeves, without being SHM discs.

11. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

Please give me an example I thought they were counterfeits from China or something
    Are they real Japan releases
    Thanks

12. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

funny the US albums (Japanese Box) aren't shm
    No they aren't ,if you want stereo ,and not a Russian Fake its either SHM or Dig pack if you
    want UK lps

13. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Right. I grabbed the 'last two' off eBay to complete my mono box, knowing full well what they were. Actually, they're not bad sonically or detail-wise.

14. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Are you sure they're fake? http://www.discogs.com/Beatles-Let-It-Be/release/4159526

Seems to be a whole set of these, released on 9/9/2009. Even if they are legit, they're probably harder to find than the SHM-CDs.

15. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Those are just the same as the cheap US versions of UK lps that came out here only are made in Japan and have Obi's ,They aren't proper Mini Sleeves ,and you can tell from the Photo they are a different size ,the proper Japanese Mini Sleeve
    of Let It Be is not a gatefold either

jeffreybh likes this.
  16. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Ok, thanks.
    After looking around, I think probably the CD in that discogs link (TOCP-71014) is just the 2009 Digipak with an OBI, mis-labeled as a mini-cd.

17. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I bought a copy of Revolver, since my friend lent me his and I liked it. I finally have it now, so it's going on the shelf, unopened of course. I'm buying White Album and Abbey Road next.

18. moops

moops Senior Member

Dino likes this.
  19. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Oh Baby! Break out those Credit Cards Again!!
    Can't keep a good SHM-CD down!
    the beave

20. slane

slane Forum Resident

...or just rip the 2009's to your hard drive ;)

Kim Olesen likes this.
  21. The Beave

Exactly! Boy slane, your up early!! It's like 5:58 am here in Seattle.
    Me Best!!
    the beave

22. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Looks like the Yen has gained a bit of strength recently.

23. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Who broke CD Japan?

24. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

No posters, no thanks.

25. The Beave

Oh come on......your no fun.
    I just otdered three more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.