Beatles' SHM-CD releases (CD Japan)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donniewn

donniewn Forum Resident

2. donniewn

donniewn Forum Resident

I'm sorry but you are wrong sir,shm cds have less distortion. regular cds have pits that computers cant read as well.its not a ripoff cause I have many shms and they sound great.even ripped into the computer they are superior.

bobcat likes this.
  3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

All subjective. I too, at times, think I hear a better sound from an SHM-CD, and then when I compare it to a standard same-master CD, I hear no difference. More power to you if you enjoy them. I won't exclude them from my purchases if it's a title I can't get any other way, but I won't specifically shop for an SHM-CD.

Harry

4. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

If two CDs are ripped to lossless files, it can be objectively tested if they have identical audio. I'm going to order at least one of these new SHM-CDs and compare the audio data to the 2009 CD.

These can be ordered from Amazon Japan for less than $25 + $10 shipping to the US for a one disc album. Additional discs incur small shipping costs. The entire 14 album set is just less than $400 shipped. Has anyone found a better price online?

nowhereman87 and donniewn like this.
  5. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Great these all have Original Obi's ,can't tell from video if White Album has number or not

5th-beatle likes this.
  6. Is the video feature still included?

7. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Hopefully not, it would totally spoil the integrity of the release. The pity is there's no box to put them in. However as I don't intend to order the red and blue albums at least I'll save a little cash.

8. herky10

herky10 Forum Resident

I don't think so.

9. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I received the Abbey Road SHM-CD from Japan today :).

The data track with the video that was on the 2009 CD is not on the SHM-CD, but the audio tracks are exactly the same - bit for bit identical to the 2009 CD.

The sleeve is the same size as those in the mono box. The English booklet is exactly the same as the 2009.

10. Bring on the equally transparent polycarbonate as CD from JVC!:shh:

Where/who does it say that CD players have trouble reading the pits using polycarbonate in standard CDs, such as Bayer's Makrolon, Kuraray, etc., since 1982? The polycarbonate in standard CDs is well transparent beyond the optics needed for the laser. Blu-ray and DVD have much smaller pits and do just fine with the same material.

You never know, JVC may be using this in all their optical discs from CD to Blu-ray and not labeling it as such.....

PH416156 likes this.
  11. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

I agree completely, I couldn't stand the packaging on the originals, I immediately sold mine as soon as I heard about these. Plus I'm sure there will be a slight improvement in sound.

old school likes this.
  12. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

User Dinstun, who bought a copy of the SHM Abbey Road said that it is, "bit for bit identical to the 2009 CD."

13. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

But with "clearer plastic"!

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  14. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Thanks for posting pictures!
    Kind of unhappily surprised by the obi - was hoping for a mini wrap-around like with the Lennon Mini LP release...

This set also needs a black glossy box to match the mono box!

Dinstun likes this.
  15. Kemp Neal

Kemp Neal Forum Resident

Just received the entire set. They may sound better because I want them to, but the covers are spot on like the mono set. This is how they should have been done from the start.

meandafoe and bferr1 like this.
  16. Bewaremylove

Bewaremylove Forum Resident

I just placed an order for the albums missing from the US albums box. I'm hoping I'll be able to stuff them all in there

17. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Thanks!

18. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

It's has finally happened. I give up...

[​IMG]

19. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

...and it comes with an obi.

stingraex2000 likes this.
  20. herky10

herky10 Forum Resident

Are the booklets glossy - like the digipak version?

21. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

Anyone know the cheapest place to get these shipped to the UK?

22. moops

moops Senior Member

Having experienced both types of packaging, I can't really see how mini-lp packaging is any better to handle than the 2009 packaging ?

23. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

It isn't. But by god it just looks nice when done properly.

moops likes this.
  24. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Something will need to be removed from the US box to get the extra stereo albums to fit.

I removed the foam, the book, and The Beatles Story, and this makes enough room for Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, the White Album, Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road and Let It Be, without any cramming. I used substitutes from the mono box, just to check the fit.

This would be a nearly perfect (but expensive) set, just missing a few songs:

Misery
    There's A Place
    From Me To You
    Sie Liebt Dich
    I'm Down
    The Inner Light
    You Know My Name

They are exactly the same. The only difference I could find was the catalog number on the back.

Bewaremylove and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  25. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

I wonder why Past Masters uses the old 1988 vinyl cover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.