Beatles Sirius/XM Channel Discussion (No Group vs Solo banter)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AndyNicks, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Yes folks, if you want to bitch about Sirius or the songs that they have selected for this new Beatles channel, then please address your complaints to Sirius.

Let's keep this thread constructive with some good suggestions that they may have missed.
    It seems to me that they have taken the extra effort to start identifying the version of the song in the title (eg. Fixing a Hole - mono 2009).

Does anyone here have any statistics as to how long it would take to play one version (either mono or stereo) of each of their songs from the officially released core catalog sequentially? How about if you add in the additional albums (Anthologies, Live at the BBC, etc.).

Can you imagine if they devoted a block of time to every recorded version of Yesterday? That's probably good for a few days right there!

2. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Breakfast With The Beatles", is that a show that was around before this channel came into being? (I've never heard of it until now, so I really don't know this.) I ask that because on a local radio station, they play a show on Sunday mornings called "Beatles Brunch", and I was thinking if Sirius plays repeats of things, maybe "Beatles Brunch" might end up on there... (And FWIW, I've never tuned into "Beatles Brunch": I'm always sleeping when it's on.)

3. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

All hail the "King of Fuh."

Never heard that song. Thanks Chris Carter.

4. kunstwork

kunstwork Forum Resident

Grand_Ennui, Breakfast with the Beatles started in Los Angeles in the early 1980's with Deirdre O'Donoghue. Chris Carter took over on terrestrial radio about fifteen years ago after Deirdre died.

5. gellie

gellie Forum Resident

Fan here of the new station. I was wondering if they would ever rebroadcast the old "Breakfast with Beatles" hosted by Scott Muni?

6. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Ah, okay... Thank you.

7. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

Just heard that myself on the way to the store! I too had never heard it before -- pretty Fuh-in' wonderful!

8. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

The last official "Beatles" song was finished on 1-3-1970, which ironically was George Martin's birthday. I remember 1970 as a poignant time. The Beatles broke up, all that was left was 4 solo artists who I hoped would someday get back together. The closest thing to that happening was the "Ringo" album where all 4 performed, but not on the same songs.

9. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

It was previously on Sirius "Underground Garage" until Little Stephen made Chris Carter reformat his Sunday morning program to include the entirety of the British Invasion. I used to record it on my Dish Network DVR. Long after the format change Sirius made Dish block the recording feature from the SXM channels (I can still record the MUZAK channels).

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  10. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I know it sounds a bit strange to consider 1970 a great year in Beatles history--it being the year they broke up with only the one song actually recorded that year, but I consider all of their solo works as part of the story as well and I absolutely adore the music they put out that year. Let It Be is a fine album with some outstanding tracks and the official solo debuts from John, Paul and George are all my favorite albums in their solo catalogs. They were all at the top of their game as songwriters and I just love the earthy feeling of so many of the recordings. I also love how JL/Plastic Ono Band, All Things Must Pass and McCartney are all such deeply personal albums that truly reflect who their songwriters were. I'm sorry to his fans, but I'm not much of a Ringo fan... A poignant time--yes, you said it exactly right.

If we're talking about my favorite year for them as "The Beatles" then it would definitely be 1965. They were on top of the world that year and the music was poppy/folky perfection.

Michael P likes this.
  11. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

It's been great! I love the content choices. My wife and I drive around and she's remarking how she had no idea this or that song was a Beatle. I love the BBC tracks and the live cuts. really the least (not bad, mind you) entertaining stuff is the official studio cuts. I love the little "talking" bits too. Just wish they had more from Paul and Ringo circa 2017. It would be good to hear them on a lead-in to a choice rarity, kinda like Tom Petty does on his channel..

12. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Just got back from a road trip and listened to it for hours. Personally I think they are doing a fabulous job with this. The influences, solo, "rare" versions, etc. are great. It's one of the reasons I'm not going to let my subscription lapse.

13. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Hearing some of the White Album tracks played on the Sirius Beatles channel gave me a similar feeling to the 1970 solo tracks. For example "I Will" could have been a track on McCartney, "Julia" could have been on John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band.

14. "Here come the Fuh King"

15. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

It was actually the Beatles (Apple) that caused it. There's some copyright rule that applies to satellite radio and other services that if an artist is played more than 3 times an hour, they're due more royalties. Apple wanted the money.......so the Chris Carter Underground Garage show became British Invasion. (I love the British Invasion show too). Little Steven would've been happy to keep it all Beatles otherwise.

Chris Carter is a great deejay.

16. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

I didn't know that. Boy, Sirius is getting into trouble with artists (or greedy lawyers) over innovative formats or even just paying an era's music (case in point Flo & Eddie's suit). So it was OK for a terrestrial radio station to carry Breakfast with The Beatles but not a satellite delivered service.

17. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Will check out the Beatles roundtable show tonight from 8-10 central time with Tom Frangione from Beatlefest, Dennis Elsas and another gentleman. Guessing they will discuss the new channel and the upcoming "Pepper" box!

18. Wingsfan2012

Sounds like it was shut down a few days ago...Sad!

19. Wingsfan2012

Deepest Solo Tracks I have heard so far from all on the station:

Paul/Wings: Backwards Traveller/Cuff Link
    John: God
    George: So Sad
    Ringo: Y Not

Keep them coming!

20. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Anyone listening to Fab Forum? Previewing Pepper.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  21. maclen

maclen Senior Member

I'm recording it right now to listen to it tomorrow.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  22. maclen

maclen Senior Member

I think the selection has gotten better as the channel has progressed. Breakfast With The Beatles is the best show because of Chris Carter. Great host. I'm currently painting my deck so I've been listening in 3 to 4 hour blocks on some days. While I sometimes hear the same songs I am generally pleased with the selection. As others have said previously the Red Rose Speedway medley, King Of Fuh were nice suprises. I'm looking forward to the Fab Forum and Peter Asher's show. I also like the cover versions by other artists. Heard a good version on She Said She Said by Gov. Mule and of course Wilson Pickett's Hey Jude. So far so good.

Cachiva likes this.
  23. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

Now that is an excellent question! Here goes:

Please Please Me 32:45
    With The Beatles 32:24
    A Hard Day's Night 30:13
    Beatles For Sale 34:13
    Help! 34:20
    Rubber Soul 35:50
    Revolver 34:43
    Sgt. Pepper 39:52
    Magical Mystery 36:35
    White Album 93:35
    Y Sub (4 songs) 17:00
    Abbey Road 47:23
    Let It Be 35:10
    Past Masters 93:29
    Total Time: 597:30 (9 Hours, 57 minutes, 30 seconds)

I got these running times from Wikipdia.
    I rounded the seconds up/down to the quarter minute.

Is there anything you would add as canon?

Michael P, ralph7109 and stereoptic like this.
  24. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I'm glad this station didn't forget about the Red Rose Speedway medley, because it seems that Paul had forgotten about it while talking about Memory Almost Full (stating that the last medley he done was the Abbey Road medley). Really hope they would possibly add some f the songs Lennon/McCartney and Harrison gave away to other artists. It would be nice to hear some Billy J. Kramer or Fourmost if they haven't done that already, but that seems to be something a show on the channel would do.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Anthology 1: 124:54
    Anthology 2: 127:54
    Anthology 3: 145:33
    Live at the BBC: 133:37
    On Air - Live at the BBC: 130:34
    Live at the Hollywood Bowl: 43:27
    Let It Be Naked: 35:04
    Love: 78:38

Just offhand that's another 822 minutes. Total running time of 23 hours and 40 minutes or thereabouts.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    stereoptic and Cachiva like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.