Beatles Stereo or Mono Box Set?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shady24, Jan 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onder

Onder Senior Member

It was quite the opposite way. Rainbo stereo pressings were terrible. IIRcC, some sellers even ended up importing Optimal made stereo box in the US eventually.
    It was so bad that Universal decided the mono box to be made exclusively by Optimal.

Just this one page of the vinyl box thread sums it all:
    Beatles Remasters on Vinyl (part 11)

Mr. Explorer and Nightswimmer like this.
  2. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

I did........:righton::evil::crazy:
    Beave

Their in my avatar......

3. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Consider it an investment. You’ll see.

Mr. Explorer and The Beave like this.
  4. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Nope! There will always be turntables you can buy, the set? Not so much. You will want to get a table though, this set is too good to just look at.;)

Mr. Explorer and The Beave like this.
  5. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Spoken like someone who truly has no idea what they're talking about.

6. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

If you only want to buy one, the stereo box will be more complete. But if you’re willing to be more selective, I’d recommend combining the mono box with well-regarded reissues of the albums that were only released in stereo. If you do that, you’ll have everything as originally intended, and there will be zero buyer’s remorse.

Blimpboy and Mr. Explorer like this.
  7. I believe the "Mono" box is pre-Universal. With the ''Stereo" box having been made on both sides of the pond, and albums being available as individual titles, I bought a couple of the LP's pressed by Optimal for comparison. Clearly, the Rainbo pressings were made of a higher quality of vinyl, played quieter and were not dirty like the Optimals usually are. At the time, Universal preferred having GZ press for them and Optimal was an EMI choice over a much higher quality Pallas or Record Industry pressing.

8. Vinylfindco

You’re saying if I go buy an Abbey Road US pressing from Rainbo it will be superior pressing wise to the EU Optimal equivalent? I’ve always heard the opposite. I’d really like to try a new AR.

John Bliss likes this.
  9. john beacham

john beacham Forum Resident

Both the stereo & mono boxes are worth having. Having said that, I opted to get the albums on an individual basis, instead of the boxes. I really enjoyed the stereo albums as I acquired them one by one, but the first mono release I heard (Sgt Pepper) completely blew me away. It was a new sonic experience to these ears. As other posters have cited, the early albums on mono really shine, especially 'Please Please me'. Some of the mono mixes differ from the stereo as well. A lot of care was taken to reproduce both sets. I was lucky with the Rainbo stereo pressings, and only got one with minor non-fill issues. Otherwise they look and sound great. The mono pressings are as pristine as you can ask for.

Sometimes you have to spend a little time with your older Beatle records too. This past weekend, I pulled out (and cleaned) a '76 Capitol pressing of Sgt Pepper (orange label), and it really blew me away.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  10. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

The Mono box is absolutely essential, most definitely the place to start. I would then pick up the individual stereo releases of The White Album, Let It Be, Abbey Road and Past Masters.

AudiophilePhil and Clonesteak like this.
  11. I like the U.S. Rainbo pressing a bit better. I like the U.S. "Sgt. Pepper's" even more.

s

12. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Reading this thread, I'm really pleased I picked up the Mono vinyl boxset exactly 2 years ago....it was £249.

13. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

The majority of the complaints were against Rainbo for poor pressing quality, not so many for Optimal. There was a disc replacement program for Rainbo pressings.

When you get a good pressing, which sounded better Optimal/Rainbo depends on the listener.

I did purchase a Rainbo pressed "Rubber Soul", "Sgt Pepper" and "A Hard Days Night" after returning 3 Rainbo boxed sets for non-fill issues. I could never find a well pressed Rainbo "Abbey Road".

14. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i enjoy the beatles mono box set on CD that i bought in 2009.i also bought 4 stand alone mono vinyl albums a couple of years back-the bealtes-MMT-for sale and mono masters.
    i think the music sounds heavier in mono.

Dan The Man1 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  15. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

I feel your pain. This forum is causing me to spend money I almost don't have - my kid's college money. (I don't really have any children but you get my point).

Mr. Explorer, JakeMcD and Clonesteak like this.
  16. Vinylfindco

The mono box is now in position 13 on the top sellers in the last 30 Days list at Acoustic Sounds. Are the going fast? Maybe.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I think basically everything in this statement is wrong. The Beatles Mono Vinyl set certainly sets a standard for reissues. The vinyl is stunningly quiet and apparently pressed at Pallas, Germany. There is only one version.

There are two versions of the stereo vinyl box and the general agreement on this forum was that the European version was far superior whereas the US version had big quality issues.

18. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

Agreed. This statement is accurate and the MONO is the way to go, has gone up to double the rate and very low in stock. Grab it a record show. 300 it's the cheapest I found it for in 2016. My brother just got his at 399.99 and everywhere else it's over 500.

19. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Mono. You'll catch it eventually.

Dan The Man1 and Lewisboogie like this.
  20. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

I purchased the vinyls on a case by case basis.

I bought new mono LPs of Mono Masters, Hard Days' Night, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour and the White Album.

I tracked down vintage (pre-digital) EMI stereo pressings of Beatles for Sale, Help!, Magical Mystery Tour (EP set), the White Album and Abbey Road.

I decided to go with both mono and stereo for MMT and WA because that was a transitional period as far as the favored mix is concerned.

I opted out of vinyl for Please Please Me, With the Beatles and Let It Be. I was fine with just having those on CD (whereby I have the whole catalogue in both mono (when relevant) and stereo).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  21. If you are talking about YOUR statement, then I concur, basically, everything in it is wrong. Famously, EMI made the mistake of choosing Optimal of Germany to press ALL the records in the ''Mono" box, for the entire world. Had EMI chosen Pallas of Germany or even Record Industry of the Netherlands for E.U. pressings, there wouldn't have been an issue.
    Of course there are two versions of the stereo vinyl box, that's also a given. I don't care about consensus on this forum as to which version of the stereo box is better, but I welcome differing opinions. Just how many of these people who have opinions actually have both the U.S. and E.U. versions like myself? I can guarantee you not many do.
    From my actual experience of having multiple copies of both the Optimal AND Rainbo versions of the "Stereo" box, I can assure you that Rainbo used higher quality and quieter vinyl. Come on, they were pressed from the same master discs.

22. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I have never read before that the mono box was pressed at Optimal.

But no matter where it was pressed, your statement that EMI made a mistake is laughable. These are perfect records. Only a complete fool would say otherwise.

John Bliss, maellen, andybeau and 3 others like this.
  23. I have a different opinion but I'm sure it varies. I also have both the Euro and US pressings of the Beatles stereo albums and I find the Euro to be a superior pressing quality and sound wise. However my replacement Rainbow versions were fine. Its a nice set

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I wonder if it has anything to do with this thread, I placed my order a couple of days ago though the status is still on "pending" for some reason.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Even though the Mono Vinyl Box is the creme of the creme, the Mono CD Box is no slouch either. Really wish the stereo remasters had been given the same approach as the mono, but alas.

With regards to the 2009 Stereo CD Box vs. the 2012 Stereo Vinyl Box (which is digital sourced), the latter is superior, if only because the masters weren't hard limited like the 2009 Stereo CD's and USB files were (the 2012 set was sourced from a point in the chain after the files had been downsampled to 24/44.1, but before the aforementioned hard limiting had been applied).

AudiophilePhil and Mr. Explorer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.