Beatles - the best sounding versions of their songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BrettyD, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member Thread Starter

Many list members have provided useful information about what they believe are the best sounding versions of Beatles songs. Having this information (and opinion) all together in one place might be quite nice!

My initial thoughts are that we would need to identify the full list of their 200 (or so?) songs, and then work out how many versions of each eg mono, stereo, 1966 stereo remix, 1971 remix, etc etc etc exist.

Then the subjective choices - and details crediting where the info comes from (by list member name?)

There could be disagreements....maybe we show all the opinions and readers make their own choice?

Anyone got more ideas on this? It would require a lot of work...

2. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

It's probably been done to some extent with the various media. Are you counting LPs? If so, prepared to get into wars over pressing vs. source quality, etc.

3. BrettyD

I think all media should be covered. "Wars" are OK if we present all sides rather than trying to make an outright decision.
    LOL Maybe easier to say than do.

4. LtPepper

LtPepper Forum Resident

BrettyD,

One thread that may be very helpful in the effort is:

The Beatles "Best Pressings" list

There is a lot of good information there. I bookmarked it as a guide for myself. The problem is that it is a very looong thread to sift through. I would like to see the info in a 'chart' or similar form for reference.

Good luck with the project! :edthumbs:

5. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

GOOD! This is not an exact science, so a list of passionate opinions will enable consumers to know the pros and cons of records they happen to come across in their travels.

6. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

It also depends on what people have been exposed to. For example, I tend to champion the SWAN 45 of "She Loves You". But I've never heard, say, an original Parlophone 45 of this song. And, to be even more subjective, I tend to enjoy the fake-stereo mix of "I Want to Hold Your Hand" found on the stereo "Meet the Beatles" album more than the official stereo mix!
    Ummm. Yes, this could be a long project indeed!

----- Chris

7. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Not to start anything, but how could anyone enjoy a fake stereo anything?

8. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

First, imagine growing up in the mid to late 60's / early to mid 70's with only the "fake stereo" versions being the soundtrack of your life. Additionally, imagine that being a particularly happy childhood. Finally, imagine that as the years go by that the "fake stereo" versions become, for the most part, obsolete. Someone else has decided that these versions are inferior and concludes that I have no desire to listen to them anymore.

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, I grew up with black & white TV and music from a 1/2" speaker in a transistor radio. I wax nostalgic about the era, but not about the picture or sound quality...

10. BrettyD

Matt has hit the nail on the head here!
    The whole project could get bogged down in disagreement unless both the pros and cons are on show. It's all subjective anyway and if we acknowledge this and provide a resource where people can easily find what other people think of a title, I think we will have succeeded.

I've changed tack slightly on how to start it. I think maybe commencing with the UK albums and studying the Beatles Best Pressings thread at http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?threadid=17446
    would be a good idea. Then song by song once the concept is working

I'll post a link for the location of it as soon as I can so that you can critique as we go. It might be a bit ropey for a start - but it'll be getting better all the time...

And feedback will not only be welcome - it will be essential.

11. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

The reason I even said anything was that to me, the worst thing the Record Companies as a whole EVER did (well, other than SUING 72 year old Grandfathers lately) was the whole "Electronic stereo" thing. No redeeming value whatsoever. and it wasnt the extra buck or two...those fake stereo Lps sounded like ****. i had a right to be mad!!! :)

12. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

So rather than listen to the records that I grew up with and temporarily be transported back in time, you're implying that I would be better off simply waxing nostalgic about it?

I think it's cool having so many different versions of many of The Beatles' songs. It doesn't mean I have to choose only the best sounding version. Give me them all to choose from and let me decide what I want to listen to.

13. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Me sir, please sir, can I enjoy sir!!

;)

14. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Gotta love that doggie!:thumbsup: :) Well said and ditto!!

15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

one of my many unfinished projects was to attempt to search through the archives and, on an album by album basis, compile the forum members comments about each album and the songs on each album. I gave up after I realized that the search application ignored the word "Please", so the only way that I could look up the first Beatles LP was to search for "PPM" ("Please Please Me") , which would have left out too many posts.

Then I attempted to learn PHP and MySql to create my own search query. Another unfinished project....

16. The link for the previous Beatles Best Pressings, in the very first post, very first LP lists the U.K. stereo Please Please Me. How many times has Steve and those of us who now own a stereo copy of the West German Please Please Me aka Die Beatles -2, shared our thought and mp3 samples of this amazing LP? If you haven't heard Die Beatles, I still have my sample mp3s linked to the Die Beatles thread from last year. The W German pressing blows away the stereo U.K. version.

17. Steve Hoffman

You're being obtuse. I mean that I don't listen to music on a transistor radio any more. Nor do I play bad sounding records. A big reason that the SH Forums exist is to help us find the best sounding version of something. That's why we are here, ain't it? That's also my day job by the way....

18. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

But fake stereo can be quite good. I quite like the American fake stereo She Loves You. I like the fake stereo versions of Love Me Do and PS I Love You on the DMM Melodya pressing of Please Please Me LP.

But there again I am the person (singular) who likes the duophonic versions of many tracks by The Beach Boys.

Maybe I should hang my head in shame.

19. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Which brings me to a question that I was asking on another thread that I started. I just picked up a British RCA pressing of The Monkees, "Birds, Bees..." album on Ebay. I was excited because it was a mono copy. My hopes were soon dashed when other Forum folks insisted that the British RCA pressings were fold downs. I know that the U.S. mono is rare but can you tell me why, or do you know why, they would do a fold down when a mono mix was available? Did they not get the real mono mix? Hey, if I didn't do my research and I burnt myself, too damn bad for me but I am curious as to why the Brits would do a fold down if they had a mono mix. Was it made available to the Brits?

I just asked the same question twice, didn't I? Damn. I should be a White House Press Reporter. :)

Gene

20. Steve Hoffman

Totally the wrong thread, but Colgems sent England the stereo reels. Instead of asking for a proper mono set, they just used the stereo to make mono. Keeping this on thread, Capitol did a similar thing with Beatles masters from England over the years, using mono to make stereo when all they had to do was cable England for the stereo versions.

21. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Sorry about the thread thing. My brain is making associations today that are totally wrong. Must be the diesel fuel I breathe at Fedex! :)

The Beatles thing is like the Colgems thing but only in reverse. Your earlier point about transistor radios was right on. Yeah, that may be how we first heard the songs but that's not how The Beatles made the music. They didn't listen to playbacks on a small 9 volt radio. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, the whole purpose of your employment is to get the music we listen to to be as close to the studio experience as you can get it. :)

22. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Well, fake stereo is certainly an abomination overall, but IWTHYH on the stereo MTB album is my one exception. Is it good sound quality? Not at all, however I think it's more enjoyable than the stereo mix where the lead guitar is panned hard to one side and ends up sounding "twee". The fake stereo version isn't better than the mono single version, but I do happen to like it.
    And what's worse, I happen to think the Capitol mono "Early Beatles" LP (which was a type B fold-down from the mono) is a pretty good-sounding example of that generally despised practice. I think Capitol did a good job with that release. Is it pure? No, but I do enjoy it.
    That said, these are the only examples of these practices that I think have any redeeming value in the Beatles catalog. I'd love to hear what other people think are the "best" sounding versions so I can revisit the ones I have (and enjoy them) and seek out the ones I don't. This is part of the fun for me as a Beatle collector. Keep 'em coming! :)

------ Chris

23. BrettyD

Ok all...I've started.

Only a tiny amount of info there so far and I'm not sure I like the set out etc but that will mutate in the right direction I guess. A bit embarrassing to show it at this point but...

I haven't tried to credit any sources yet - but I have acknowledged this forum as the source of much of the info. PS thanks LtPepper for the Beatles best pressings thread reference. I think I'm going to get to know some of these threads intimately (or at least on a first name basis..... :)

Have a look at Best Sounding Beatles

Is this the kind of thing we want? Keep in mind this is a very early version - take 1 if you like. :)

Looking forward to your feedback.

24. mdpierocarey

mdpierocarey Forum Resident

BrettyD,

I like your web page OK so far.

Agreed that keeping a focus on just the standard albums may be wise. Maybe stick to just PPM, WTB, AHDN, BFS, H!, RS, R, SPLHCB, YS, TB (TWA), LIB, & AR. MMT will get tricky due to the EP, & could be left for another round.

I might suggest the addition of 2 lines for each item, a Now In Print line, and a Runners-up line. For example, for your Please Please Me stereo lp example...

Now In Print: Out of print in stereo.
    Runners-up: UK pressings for stereo, original or 70s/80s reissues as found in BC13 box set (as kipper15 put it in the Best Pressings List thread).

Or not. One trouble with lists like these are you can add detail infinitely!

Cheers,
    Doug

25. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

BD, you're off to a great start!

It's nice to have someone record all these comments in one place.

mud-:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.