Beatles: The extra overdubbed snare.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kim Olesen, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Such an odd recording: two separate drum set recordings and two separate piano recordings. It all works together very well, but it's not your standard pop group recording.

BadJack likes this.
  2. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

that's a little different from what OP is talking about I think.

the 2nd snare there is doing something completely different and wasn't a reinforcement.

3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist. Thread Starter

Re Can't Buy Me Love. To me there is no difference between the mono and the stereo comcerning the drums. I think it's simply a paper goof.

Seltarb likes this.
  4. Onder

Onder Senior Member

There is a difference. Right after guitar solo there is a break on a snare drum and quite logically when Ringo plays his both hands on the snare the hihat stops on the fourth beat in the stereo mix. However, during the mono mix whoever overdubbed the hi hat kept playing on so the hi hat is on the fourth beat too.

Onder

bluemooze, Kermit27 and nikh33 like this.
  5. Kim Olesen

I must seek that out.

Onder likes this.
  6. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

In 'The Beatles Story' BBC radio, 1972, Paul comments that so many overdubs had been made to Hello Goodbye that the snare was lost so he overdubbed himself hitting the seat of an EMI chair with a drumstick.

7. Kim Olesen

It kinda sounds like a tapedrop to me. I don't know if you are a drummer but playing those two snare drum hits is easily done with one hand, and Ringo did similar things around this time.
    But then again it could be a tapedrop on the 4-track that they wished to repair....

Seltarb likes this.
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I love Ringo's playing on it, but it sounds like one is on Cry Baby Cry. Great song, though.

9. Kim Olesen

I don't mind the extra snare. They found it necesary and so be it. It does not ruin any of their songs for me. Well in one particular case it kinda does. On Magical Mystery Tour there is one dubbed in on the 3rd beat in all the uptempo sections. It's nearly inaudible on most mixes but the laserdisc stereo mix has it loud, and it makes it drag (IMO!)

There are also songs that have two seperate tracks of full drumming. Here Comes The Sun, Don't Pass Me By, Carry That Weight to name some. Blue Jay Way and Your Mother Should Know have double drumming in places too.

Holy Diver likes this.
  10. slane

slane Forum Resident

Double drums on Helter Skelter too, IIRC.

Going by the outtake snippet of Don't Pass Me By on the Anthology DVD, it's my opinion that it is in fact Paul drumming on the bssic take, with Ringo on piano. The overdubbed drums sound like Ringo though.

11. Kim Olesen

The Beatles invented doubledrumming in rock music...... ;-)

12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Al Gore invented the overdubbed snare. :)

billh, VinylRob and Digital-G like this.
  13. Onder

Onder Senior Member

It's not two hits. This break after the solo are triplets and are in fact four hits, that's why he doesn't play hi-hat in that spot as his both hands are on the snare drum. He replicates the exact drum break in Paris concert and what more, the camera is on him too! It's at 1:28 mark. He plays the same break before the guitar solo as well.

Ondra

14. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Yes, it's Ringo on piano, Paul on drums on the basic take, vice versa on the overdubs. I hope you have better luck demonstrating this, I was ridiculed for suggesting it a while ago.

bluemooze and slane like this.
  15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes, on "Lady Madonna" one drum track has a jazz brush part on the snare and the other is a rock drum beat with sticks. Neat effect.

16. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

Optimist!

majorlance and supermd like this.
  17. Robert Bone

Robert Bone Forum Resident

I believe that 'Can't Buy Me Love' had a Hi Hat overdub direct to the mono mix (like a twin track overdub to the begining edited back to the rest of the mix) as there is hi-hat hard and strong from the start of the mono mix but not on any of the stereo mixes and outtakes released since...

18. peteham

peteham Senior Member

'Baby You're A Rich Man' has a nice thick overdubbed snare. As mentioned, the extra drum track on 'Here Comes The Sun' is really cool as well, especially on headphones, as well as the odd extra drum work on 'Everybody's Got Something To Hide...'. I've been listening to Beatle tracks for over 35 years and they still reveal new stuff to me.

19. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Agreed! There's that gaping hole in "Got To Get You Into My Life," near the end, where Ringo performs a great little fill, but it's mixed or miked so far back that the whole song almost derails. Is there anyway to fix that through a remix?

Did the RockBand remix of the song fix that?

20. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Sorry, that's not on RB. BUT, if you are curious what a modern remix might sound like here's a 30 second sample of one I did last year. Click the blue box in middle where it says download here from sendspace. I pay for the space so the link should be direct, no funny business.

clip.WAV
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/2aehz0

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Great thread!

22. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

I love the overdubbed snare on Hey Bulldog with that massive reverb.

I think Paul maybe wrong in saying it was "Hello Goodbye" he hit a chair on. He may have but I don't hear it.

23. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Check out the Anthology DVD -- it was remixed for the documentary, and when it plays over some touring scenes (IIRC), the snare/toms are much louder.

24. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

The frantic call for MORE SNARE! just doesn't have the same gusto as MORE COWBELL! Just my humble opinion.

TallBen and Michael P like this.
  25. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Imagine how great it would have been if the Linn drum machine had been invented while they were making these albums... or Wendel... :):):)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.