Beatles track selection differences between UK & Capitol versions. & What about redoing them again ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Oct 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Why can't we live and let live? Play the albums the way you prefer and let others play them the way they want.

2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Why assume that everyone owns a dog or downloads music to their phone or even OWNS a headphone set? Oh and by the way I hate professional sports, don't smoke, drink or take drugs and am an atheist. I never wear a baseball cap (let alone backwards), don't even own a pair of shorts or sandals, and would not be caught dead in a coffee shop. (Just so you can remove a whole set of assumptions about me). And, I do not care that I "grew up" listening to the USA Beatle albums, the minute I found about JEM imports, I bought the UK LP versions and have never EVER missed the US versions from that day forward. Sound quality (less compression, reverb and no fake stereo) trumps "nostalgia" in my book every time.

Shaker Steve and phantomime like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

YEA! when I first heard and bought the UK albums I thought of them as a novelty next to my OFFICIAL CAPITOL Albums...

4. Michael

BECAUSE THE ONES WE LOVE AREN'T THE ONES THEY LOVE...

Pizza likes this.
  5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

[​IMG]

billnunan and leeroy jenkins like this.
  6. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Too much already-covered ground here, but you've hinted at one possibility - a pre Please Please Me LP with tracks like Sure To Fall, I Got A Woman, The HoneyMoon Song and some others found on the old "As sweet as you are" bootleg. I really see this as their first studio LP. Just a few months previous of PPM with a slightly older set, probably a more accurate Cavern set.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  7. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Been trying but....

[​IMG]

9. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

I put the non-LP singles right on their albums and enjoy all the songs.

Magical Mystery Tour winds up being beefier as I put the three Yellow Sub tracks along with the non LP tracks from that era (Lady Madonna /Inner Light).

White Album can be a monster with Hey Jude/Revolution/Not Guilty/Hey Bulldog (that's where the fourth one goes!).

Don't Let Me Down has always belonged on Let It Be. Old Brown Shoe seems to fit there too.

10. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

I'm not familiar with that bootleg. However ( without actually counting ) there must be 40-50 BBC Beatles tracks, never officially recorded by them elsewhere. But by the time you cull out the songs with either bad performances & or bad fidelity, one 12-16 track album seems about right. Possibly a few more than 12-16 but probably not enough for 2 really good volumes.

11. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Why not? They are standalone pop tunes. Any order will work.

12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Get a life. o_O

13. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

You could put every track they recorded in alphabetical order, then divide them into however many ~40-minute albums.

You could do that where you add all of their solo material, too.

14. ShockControl

When I finally heard "Misery," I was grateful that I'd been spared suffering through it as a kid.

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

"Misery" one of my all-time favorites by them.

16. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Take a look at the track list. It really is like a first Beatle album if they were signed sooner.

The Beatles - As Sweet As You Are

I played the heck out of this when I first got it. Sound was from collectors and their tape decks.

O Don Piano likes this.
  17. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I was actually glad when the Beatles' US catalog conformed to the UK.
    I grew up on the Capitol LPs, but I knew they were pieces-parts albums.
    I started buying the UK imports around 1976, and preferred the sound and sequences.
    So it wasn't "brutal" to me, which seems a little exaggerated and frankly typically hyperbolic. It made sense to me.

The Capitol albums are fun to listen to as a novelty once in a while though. I'd keep them as is.

18. ShockControl

That's what makes horseracing!

19. johnny moondog 909

Incidentally, goofing around, I just adjusted the tracklist for Yesterday & Today.

I left the artwork except the song titles. All I did was drop the songs ripped out of Revolver & Rubber Soul, & replaced them with I'm Down, Yes It Is, Paperback Writer & Rain.. only tracks from 65-66, just like Capitol did...

With a few track selection substitutions, it's very easy to get a "free" Yesterday & Today Beatles album. Using only 65-66 tracks, & taking nothing from Help, Rubber Soul or Revolver, or any other canon album.

There is still a niche there for Beatles fans like you & me. That is, a 2nd 1966 studio album, that could've followed Revolver for Xmas 1966. Or preceded it in spring-summer, bumping Revolver 2-3 months to October-Nov 66 for the holidays..

The only thing I don't like ( the adjusted tracklist) is just as good ( more or less ). It's just I need to save Pback-Rain for my faux early 1968 album.

Basically these faux, Capitol style "extra" studio albums, can be done barely touching the 12 canon studio albums. Just a few exceptions. Across The Universe has to be lifted from Let It Be. Basically I decimate Past Masters as well by using the tracks elsewhere.

I was hoping people had good ideas, to make the "extra" albums. Without harming the 12 existing albums...

I change my mind about where to put tracks all the time. For example Ballad of John & Yoko & Old Brown Shoe... They can fit equally on Abbey Road or Let it Be.. or a slightly adjusted "Beatles Again-Hey Jude" Capitol comp album can be done. But I'm not sure they have enough non album 68-69 tracks to do it. Possibly if you use Not Guilty, Come & Get It & tracks like that.

Main point though, it's super easy to recreate a comparable Yesterday & Today, without raiding a single song from the 12 album canon.. Bad Boy, lots of 65-66 songs available.

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yup. Try listening to MISERY again, the stereo version is best. It's live, the boys singing a song that was a "copy" of a famous rock act. Notice how John and Paul sing as one with John's acoustic bleeding nicely. Notice how John and George start their guitars together and how nicely they are blended by the engineer. The earlier take with George doing the lead line was (thankfully) replaced with George Martin's piano with the famous EMI echo delay. Notice how the entire song sounds like you're in a club with a good sound system. It's a great one for being so early. A fine EMI recording as well, especially in the stereo version which clearly shows off the studio and how it was set up acoustically (masked in the mono fold-down version.)

905, slane, Culpa and 7 others like this.
  21. Michael

great song!

22. Michael

Indeed! one of my favorites as well...

23. johnny moondog 909

Yeah that's great & similar to what I put together for my collection. My tracklist uses about half of those. I've been listening to BBC 1 & 2 for about 6 months, off & on. Looking for the magic 14 or 15. It's very close to matching the Please Please Me album for quality. As you said it represents a lot of the actual Cavern-Hamburg repetoire.

Sonically they're a little bit inferior, but if you use the best sounding ones, edit a little bit, it's pretty good. I wish the only original , they never recorded otherwise, " I'll Be On My Way" had a better sound, sonically. But it's not a contender for me.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  24. johnny moondog 909

Are you saying "Misery" was a rewrite of a well known song they knew ? Or just they were copping an Everly Brothers or Crickets style ?. Officially they're credited with writing that aren't they ?

25. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

You are correct. What I've been doing over the last two days is assembling albums this way:
    Pick the first song from the first album, then the second song from the second album, third song from the third album,
    etc., until you have a 14 song album. The bonus 15th song is the 15th song from the 15th Rolling Stones album.
    Then I take pictures from my scrapbook and make a collage cover for the CD.

The next CD goes like this: Pick a song out of the key of A, then B, then C, etc. until you have 14 songs in every key
    (keep in mind the minors and the flats, etc.) Then, the bonus 15th song will be a song in the key of B knuckle flat
    by Thelonius Monk.

I've made Beatle compilations that can only be listened to on certain days of the week, certain weeks of the month,
    and certain months of the year. Some of these compilations are green in feel or magenta in feel. No white though,
    that has already been done.

Then there is the stereo/mono compilation. The first track is mono from 1963, the second track is stereo from 1969,
    the third track is mono from 1964 and the fourth track is from 1967 in Duophonic. Continue this ad nauseam.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.