Beatles "White Album" and John Lennon 'Imagine' - Expanded Reissues Due In 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Dec 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member Thread Starter

According to the new issue of Mojo, (291) Imagine will receive an expanded reissue next year.

No other information is given.

2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have the white box "expanded" edition that came out for Record Store Day a few years back. While nicely assembled, it's a pretty unexciting package as all of the stuff on the bonus LP already appeared in the Anthology box set. Hopefully, this new one will contain some rarer stuff. I wonder which version of the album will be used in terms of a remaster or remix.

3. jl151080

You have to wonder how much is left in the vaults, considering we've had the Anthology box, Gimme Some Truth film, remix and remaster.

A 5.1 mix would be welcome...

4. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

There's a lot circulating to choose from.
    I have the Vigotone bootlegs Imagine All The Outtakes 3cd and More Session Tapes 2cd boxes.

5. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

If they want to get into demos and outtakes there's quite a bit of material that has been booted that could be released. For more on that @lennonology ;)

theMess likes this.
  6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I thought we already imagined all the people. :confused:

7. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Interesting. Would honestly like to see Live in NY and Live in Toronto remastered and expanded before flogging Imagine again. Unless they surprise with some never before issued tracks. But why 2018? Still a few years off from the big 50th anniversary which is when I figured they would make a big fuss of it.

theMess, AcidPunk15, No Bull and 4 others like this.
  8. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I'm still waiting for the Imagine "Video LP" on DVD. And fully restored would be nice.

9. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

The original video album would be super. That said I said, have the '00 mix, the mini LP cd, a 2012 LP, the Record Store Day box, and the Signature box remaster. Whats one more at this point? ;)

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Imagine having more free shelf space- it's easy if you try. :)

11. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

That Signature box is just ridiculous looking on the shelf. Shoulda been 1/4 the size honestly.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

original mixes?

13. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Presumably this will tie in with the recently announced new book by Yoko on the Imagine recording sessions. That was slated for October 2018.

14. jl151080

You didn't pick up the 2014 Blu Ray audio disc, then? :)

theMess, DmitriKaramazov and Jimijam like this.
  15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Well, he has to leave something for his Christmas wishlist, after all. :)

theMess, Chad75 and jl151080 like this.
  16. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I hate box sets that dont encourage play by making the contents difficult to get to. This is one of them.

17. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Imagine - Stripped Down?

theMess, bherbert, ODIrony and 7 others like this.
  18. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

D'oh! :facepalm:

jl151080 likes this.
  19. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

A new 5.1 mix would be great (please tho, not Giles Martin and Sam Okell) but I’d love a newly mastered transfer of the 4.0 mix to 24/96 4.0 LPCM directly from the original quadraphonic master tape.

20. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

It will be interesting to see what they include in this. Aside from alternate takes, I guess there could be a few jammed rock and roll covers. As for any dvd element there is the Gimme Some Truth and the video album as has already been mentioned.

I agree about the Live In New York City - I have been waiting patiently and I thought I read a few years ago that they were working on this for John's 75th birthday. But obviously that date came and went.

I have always thought the Plastic Ono Band album should have been given the boxset treatment and that Yoko's album which was recorded in the same sessions should have been included, however as that album has been reissued through the Secretly Canadian label, I guess that is unlikely at the moment.

21. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

sad to say the quad mix isn't all that stellar, the Lennon Legend remixes are much much better.

22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Anyone have a handy list of all the Imagine album-related outtakes that have turned up on the Lennon Anthology and other posthumous compilations?

23. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

It is like The Who's Tommy: the original package is so well done that it is hard for a reissue to compete:

I love the glossy cover artwork, the starbust lyrics, spiral credits and photos on the inner sleeve, the huge poster, the postcard, the quote on the rear sleeve, "imagine the clouds dripping, dig a hole in your garden to put them in".

Tim

24. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

When was the last time Image was released on AAA vinyl? The EMI 100 from 1997? It's not that rare but it would be nice to have it available at a decent price.

fortherecord and MrRom92 like this.
  25. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I have the Blu-ray audio disc. It isn’t bad. I wish the remix was also on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.