Beatles White Album. Mono UK vs Mono 2014.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BrentB, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler Thread Starter

After a couple of years of desire, I finally picked up a 2014 mono WA. I won't go into the (many) other stereo versions I own.
    I am basically seeking opinions about how this 2014 compares with the original mono UK. I will likely never hear the UK unless I just get lucky somehow. Just curious why some people(allegedly) pay upwards of 1000 USD for the originals.
    Please limit opinions to the post and let's not get into a stereo vs Mono debate. Thanks.

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I prefer the 2014 pressing. It has a warmer, more balanced sound than the original or the 1981/2 reissue.

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I have both the new mono and a nm (yes nm) -1/-1/-1/-1 original UK. In my opinion the UK original simply has the spook. The midrange and warmth of the equipment/techniques used at the time of the recording cannot be duplicated. It isnt the best of recordings anyway though. But, yes, the original is in the pocket for that White album "sound".

The mono reissue is very good. It is a fun listen and they did a great job transfering. And at hundreds of dollars for a nm original vs the 30$ reissue? The reissue is a no brainer. If the reissues came out before I went UK original and 2 box crazy I would have most likely never lost my mind searching for the later lol. Bought the boxset at a hugely reduced price that cost me less than one of my originals :sigh:

Get all the mono reissues! And get them now :)

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

My only problem with the 2014 is that it's far too bass/low end heavy on two specific songs: the low notes on the acoustic guitar of Julia come through overpoweringly strong; likewise the bass on Yer Blues. Other than that, near perfect.

Easy-E likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Should have been a poll !!!
    Lot here seem happy with 2014 Mono, though some say the 1968 edges it in the sonic department.

6. karmicg

karmicg Forum Resident

The 2014 reissue has one very important advantage which has gotten surprisingly little mention. Unless you are listening to the original with a mono stylus. I am over-simplifying the science on this, but as many of you are aware, an original mono record would have been cut with a mono lathe, which is a different shape than a stereo lathe, and therefore in order to best obtain all of the information out of the grooves you should ideally be playing back with a similarly shaped mono stylus. If you are like me, and can't be bothered either switching cartridges (or turntables!) when listening to a mono record, and play them with a stereo stylus, you are accepting the fact that you're not getting the optimal recreation of the sound. HOWEVER, the 2014 monos were cut with a stereo lathe, with the same information replicated on both channels to create the mono effect, and therefore when listening to the 2014 monos with a stereo stylus, you are not suffering the information loss that you would have with the original monos! On my system, and to my (slightly deaf) ears, I do find the 2014 monos sounding comparable if not superior to the originals that I do own, and I do believe this stylus issue may be a factor. And also, to those who do have a "mono" rig, don't use it for these 2014 reissues!

7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm happy with my UK mono #0108866.

8. alexpop

That's a +

9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

As a collector, is the reason I bought an original. The lower the number/condition, the more it's worth. I don't even play it.

forthlin likes this.
  10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I found it the same with the 2009 Stereo CD.

DK Pete likes this.
  11. alexpop

1987 (along with '87 Pepper) white album cd sounds good.

12. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I've heard/owned both. The reissue is excellent. Unless you happen upon a UK orig or already have one, I wouldn't spend the time or money on it.

timnor, John Bliss, KipB and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.