Beatles White Album, What Pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikeyt, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

So did my original 8-track that sounded swell on my Soundesign stereo back in 1973, now my 70's HTM blue box LP does the trick.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OK, that's good...I'm going to give it a listen tomorrow.: )

3. Michael

Indeed...

4. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

I vote for the ever-elusive Orange pressing ;)

5. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Indeed! Unless that system latency gets you first. I've launched a decisive winning bid 5 seconds before the close of an auction, and watched the system hang. It's been hit and miss lately.

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

And Savoy Truffle!

7. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I had planned to sell my two sets of MOFIs I have in storage at some point (an opened/played box set plus a sealed set of singles), but you write that and now I now I'm wavering...

Michael likes this.
  8. Michael

well according to the forum you should sell them because the MFSL Beatles albums suck...me personally I love them and I don't agree...but as they say YMMV...: )

goat65cars and ssmith3046 like this.
  9. Tone

Tone Senior Member

What pressing? .......... after years of listening to a Lot of pressings while doing my Beatledrops site, the original UK pressings almost always sounded the best.... And that includes the most recent vinyl issues. .....IMHO of course. :)

vinylbeat likes this.
  10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

We knew this yes of course. And it's not only originals either, but those un-numbered IK copies with high gloss laminated covers will beat a Japanese or even German pressing as well. UK has the upper hand for this album. Plus I like the way those mid-70s copies smell.

11. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

My original UK top loader mono sounds pretty decent to moi. :)

ssmith3046 likes this.
  12. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

As somebody that used to like these once, I then upgraded my equipment it was like the emperor's clothes. They do suck.

Midrange sold separately.

[​IMG]

chacha likes this.
  13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Is your internet connection good? I've yet to see that happen in recent years. It's more fun than using an snipping software. I've won 90% or more of the ones I've sniped. Put in an early bid and lose it or overpay.

14. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I've not heard a UK pressing. I guess the US and Canadian pressings from the 70s are no good? sw101 or whatever? Thats all I have.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Compared to the U.K. Pressings, yes correct, sw101 can't hold a candle - no contest. Canada too, nothing to write game about.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  16. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I think the 1st press German SMO is a close contender. But the original -1 UK and/or 78' white vinyl are tops IMO. It'll be interesting to see the discussion a year from now, if/when a new re-mix is released of this landmark Beatles album and how it compares to all of the existing pressings. I wasn't that wowed by the 2012 remastered stereo vinyl. The 2014 mono remastered WA vinyl is excellent, as are all the other mono Beatles LP's.

wwright and mahanusafa02 like this.
  17. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

@muffmasterh Henry, when did the top loaders cease? I think it was just that first run, 1968 (mind you there's close to 700,000 of them!)

18. Michael

HAHAHAHAHA I was waiting for this...: )

19. Blue Cactus

Sure.

The truth eventually surfaces. :D

Michael likes this.
  20. Michael

no, business as usual as predicted...how about U listing to your fav and me listen to mine...IN PEACE without ....: )

goat65cars and ssmith3046 like this.
  21. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

MitchLT likes this.
  22. Blue Cactus

Sounds good.

But in peace? I've got two yappin' dogs. Just gotta' figure out how to keep 'em quiet.

Michael likes this.
  23. Blue Cactus

24. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Does anybody know how much a sealed copy of the holy grail (UK 1978 White vinyl) goes for? I have one and would love to know.

25. Michael

likewise...
    Dogs? O' that's your problem. ; )