Beatles Wooden Vinyl-box... any good? Worth?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NikkiSixx, Mar 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NikkiSixx

NikkiSixx New Member Thread Starter

Hello all,

This is my virgin-posting on here... been reading a lot, but never posted before.

Anyways, I was just offered to buy a Beatles Collection Vinyl box, made of wood, and consisting 14 (I think) LP's. It's in MINT condition, and never been played, according to seller.

Here's a link to it (bottom of the page):
    http://www.webgrafikk.com/beatles/disko/uklp/world.htm

My question is, of course: What are these pressings like? What's it worth? How does it sound? And what should I pay for it?

Kindly awaiting anybody's answer on this...!

2. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I'm pretty sure the wooden box only ever included digitally remastered LPs. I'd pass it by and instead look for the blue "Beatles Collection" box pictured at the top of the page you linked to.

3. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I'm not 100% sure but I think the wooden box set are the digitally mastered LPs, same mastering as the CDs.

4. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I see Jeff is a faster typist by a few seconds:)

5. NikkiSixx

NikkiSixx New Member Thread Starter

Ok... so does the remastering make these LP's no good?

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

NikkiSixx

Welcome. Be patient. You will get the true story here. Give our members a little while to post!

7. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I have the wooden box - neat roll-top that's for sure :) Digital transfers but a very nice box. I would think prices are in the 150-200 Euro range. Anyone got the low down on the 8 LP "crate" set ?

All the best - Andrew

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

In other words, unless you are rich and just want to collect everything, save your money for true analog cuttings!!!

9. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

It's also a really great box :D Would make a lovely place to store records.

&ru

10. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I have the crate set and IMO it's pretty good. It was put out by the mail order branch of EMI. It has several of the harder to find cuts like the hi-hat intro for All My Loving. A while back I posted the different versions available on it. If it can't be found in a search I think it's on my home pc and I can repost it once I get home.

11. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

"From Liverpool The Beatles Box" AKA "The Crate Box." This is a must for Beatle LP collectors. It was released in October 1980 by World Records, which was an extension of EMI's mail order division. It has 124 tracks and lots and lots of rarities. As a matter of fact you get them all under one roof.

Love Me Do - The Ringo on drums version.
    All My Loving - 5 tap high-hat intro
    She's A Woman - First stereo version that appeared in the U.K.
    Day Tripper - The U.S. stereo version that appeared on Yesterday & Today
    Paperback Writer - Is supposedly a re-mix found on the Hey Jude LP
    Penny Lane- Promo version with the piccolo trumpet tacked on the end.
    For it's time you got a lot of first time stereo and things like that. I have a Japanese pressing that is just gorgeous. The U.K. pressing's are supposed to be very good, although I haven't heard them. Iv'e been seeing this box set on ebay for a reasonable price. I highly recommend this box to a fan or collector. Remember these were pressed in 1980. No digital tapes on this one.

Joe

12. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Also a slightly differerent stereo mix on I'm Only Sleeping.

13. Joe Koz

Yeah, I know, I think it's the same one on the U.S. "Yesterday & Today." I didn't list all of them that's on there. It's a great collection and not talked about that much.

Joe:cool:

14. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Here's what I have on the crate set.
    Across The Universe - (Version 2) produced by Phil Spector. All My Loving - begins with five taps on Ringo's "hi-hat" cymbal. All You Need Is Love - the mono version. And I Love Her - contains six bars of acoustic guitar in the fadeout instead of the usual four. Baby You're A Rich Man - the true stereo version, previously found just on the German Magical Mystery Tour LP. The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill - appears as it does on "The Beatles", minus the opening guitar obbligato. The End/Her Majesty - the pause between the two songs lasts for only five seconds instead fifteen seconds. Get Back - the album version, produced by Phil Spector. I'm Only Sleeping - the extremely rare version with the slightly delayed guitar solo, previously found just on the U.S. stereo eight-track tape edition of "Yesterday" And Today. I Am The Walrus - the composite version put together by Capitol Records engineers John Palladino and George Irwin for the US commercial Rarities. I Feel Fine - the true stereo version that begins with tapping drum sticks, whispering, coughing and Ringo closing his "hi-hat" cymbal. Let It Be (Version 2) "reproduced for disc" by Phil Spector. Love Me Do - (Version 1) the rare one with Ringo on drums. Penny Lane - the composite version from the US commercial Rarities featuring the additional piccolo coda at the end. She's A Woman - the true stereo version previously available just in Australia/Singapore/Malaysia/Hong Kong. Strawberry Fields Forever - the true stereo version. Thank You Girl - the original mono version without John's extra harmonica fills. This Boy - the mono version

15. Joe Koz

Also, "I Am The Walrus" is the version that has the added beats only found on the U.S. mono single version. Not the intro beats but the beats in between the 1st & 2nd verses.

16. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

True, but like the Penny Lane in the set it is the version created for the US Rarities LP not the original version.

17. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.