Beatles Yesterday and Today in true stereo - how can you tell?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by edgwareman, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Wow, you have an original rainbow Rubber Soul wet mix?!? That's a revelation and suggests Dave Dexter my have had a hand in it. I was led to believe the wet mix didn't exist until the 70's.

2. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Actually, I just went back to check and it is not a rainbow, it is a green & purple Capitol. :hide: My bad. I edited the post that you quoted.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  3. owsley

owsley Senior Member

The 2nd Rainbow pressing was in print in the mid 80's. Most of these copies play mono but it depends on the pressing plant. I have a 2nd rainbow issue with all stereo Side 1 and Bird in rechanneled stereo on Side 2.

4. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I can't exactly say that because I didn't work at the plants. But.. Beatles LPs weren't selling in the multi millions by the early 1980s so there was probably no need to keep doing represses during that time. I don't know what date in 1983 Y&T was reissued with the rainbow label. I would guess that there were only a few pressing runs around 83 or 84 and then whatever was left on the shelf was there. I didn't start buying LPs until about 1985 and I can't remember seeing Beatles LPs then. But.. by 87.. I definitely remember US Beatles LPs at Tower Records. I didn't care about catalog numbers or mastering so I didn't check.

They started to reissue the catalog again in 1987.. with at least the first four UK releases having a CLJ prefix.. and then everything else with the new C1 prefix was dribbled out throughout 1988, the last time the US LPs were on the shelf.

I have read that the 1995 C1 'Limited Editions' had one pressing run and that was it. However, I don't know the numbers in that run. Those were supposed to be the last time that they would be available on LP.

My 1983 mono playing copy is side A: ST-1-2553 G35 1-1 Mastered By Capitol / side B: ST-2-2553 G-32 1-1 Mastered By Capitol. Pressed at Specialty. It is NOT translucent as some of my other 1983 pressings are.

All of my 1983 pressings come from either Specialty or Capitol Jacksonville, IL. And.. I've got translucent ones from both plants and non translucent ones from both plants. Whatever was in the batch that day I guess.

5. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I have three copies of later Y&T with the mono mix. All were SRC cut by Eddy Schreyer. "83 Rainbow" ST 2553 and "Purple dome" C1 - 90447. They all share the same matrices, same metal;

ST SW - I - 2553 G35 SRC
    ST-2-2553 G-32

IIRC, the purple dome has additional info in the matrices. The ones above may be scratched out with the additions, but in any case they have Eddy Schreyer's sig and are SRC.

6. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I've got a small done Capitol label with the duophonic mixes. Go figure.

7. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

Can't anyone point to a thread that talks about Beatle solo songs about the other Beatles? Or if there is such a thread?

white wolf likes this.
  8. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Could someone check if the mono Drive My Car runs slightly slower than the stereo on the Capitol pressings? I have two different needledrops of the mono and stereo Yesterday and Today LP, and the mono Drive My Car runs slower on both.

9. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

What you need to look at is in the runout groove area. There are symbols for each of the pressing plants. Certain ones switched to new stampers at different times. There was a Both Sides Now column in Goldmine back in 1983 (yellow cover with a drawing of the Rolling Stones) that went through which Apple pressings had the true stereo songs. I'm sure someone here can do a good rundown of them.

10. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

That's a really easy question. Start a thread about that subject. If there is no other thread like it, you will get replies. If there is another thread, your thread will be closed, and there will be a link placed there with the address of the thread and a note saying "This is already being discussed"

JimC likes this.
  11. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Right. I'll post my copy here anyway.

Yesterday And Today, all true stereo; Purple "dome" ST 2553:

S1: ST-1-2553-G26 #2 -<| [Winchester]
    S2: ST-2-2553-F26 #4 "Wly" -<| [Winchester]

Also worth mentioning - aside from being all "true" stereo and containing unique mixes of several songs, this mastering sounds exceptionally good for a US Capitol.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

exact;y what i have been trying to say, it is annoyingly random

13. peter

peter Senior Member

Much to my disbelief, tonight I found a mint, in the shrink, U.S. orig. 60s's stereo rainbow colorband non record club Y&T, with all tracks in true stereo. I even pulled out a UK 2 EMI box Revolver to do an a-b. The matrixes end in H20, on both sides. This discovery would not be so surprising if the LP had "Subsidiary" labels, but it does not - the labels are the original. LP is dead mint too, a really joy-filled listen. I have always wondered if this existed and now I know.

14. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Can you post a picture of the label?

15. peter

peter Senior Member

Well, I am at work now and have OOT guests in, so, yes, sure, I will, but not for a few days.

16. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Thanks! no rush!

17. Opusjeff

Opusjeff Forum Resident

Never posted the label?
    Probably the 80's rainbow label reissue?
    I would think it's impossible that a US 60s original press would have Dr. Robert, I'm Only Sleeping and And Your Bird Can Sing in true stereo.

Drifter likes this.
  18. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Is it possible it could have been a Columbia contract pressing and they got the true stereo tape?
    The Columbia pressings sometimes had the first pressing labels.

John Bliss likes this.
  19. ST2553AndYourBirdCanSing

ST2553AndYourBirdCanSing Forum Resident

The US Stereo version of And Your Bird Can Sing has more distortion in right channel than the UK Stereo in my opinion

20. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Know what you mean...I crazy-glued 3 UK -2U/-2U copies of Let It Be together digitally to get one clean copy out of it.

21. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

Hi everyone! My name's Matt and I live here in Downey, CA. The "Yesterday And Today" pressings are a nightmare! Today I bought an '80's reissue, the colorband label, HOPING it was going to be the all MONO pressing. NOPE! "Drive My Car" was in true stereo, and "And Your Bird Can Sing" is duophonic. I once owned an '80's reissue that was all mono and it sounded fantastic.....especially "And Your Bird Can Sing" which had such ATTACK! I can't stand this runaround, having no idea what you're getting from pressing to pressing. I'm really bummed out! Here I was hoping I finally scored the one I wanted and I didn't.

John Bliss likes this.
  22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Those Longines Capitol Record Club LP pressings were done by Decca/MCA, at their plants. The deadwax on Longines era Capitol Record Club pressings have MCA styled deadwax markings.

23. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

My copy is an 80s Rainbow pressed at Specialty. Here are my deadwax markings.

Side 1: ST-1-2553 G35 1-1 Mastered by Capitol / Side 2: ST-2-2553 G-32 1-1 Mastered by Capitol

There could be a mastering engineer's mark next to the Mastered by Capitol stamp on both sides, but it isn't one I recognize so I didn't mark it on my spreadsheet. I had came across a second copy with the exact same deadwax that I sold to a friend for cost, since it played mono also. Hopefully this helps your hunt.

24. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

Gee, wish I could have been that friend that you sold it to! If you do come across one that is in mint condition, please let me know!

25. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

Are your deadwax markings etched or stamped? I just checked mine and side one is etched, while side two is stamped. Side One is ST-1-2553-G26 #3. Side Two is ST2-2553-B8 #6. I'm guessing that side two was made from an older stamper. Both sides have the "Mastered By Capitol" stamp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.