Beatles Yesterday and Today in true stereo - how can you tell?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by edgwareman, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Your side 2 is probably from an older stamper. It is odd that it is stamped as I don't see many Beatles Capitol LPs with stamped deadwax.

Ok.. here's my stamper info.. on the one that I said before, which plays mono, both sides are hand etched. They have the 'hook-like' etching symbol next to the stamped Mastered by Capitol. I can never remember which engineer used that symbol.

Also.. I have a late 70s Purple label copy that plays stereo. But.. I can't remember which of the 3 added John songs play true stereo or Duophonic. My deadwax for that one is:

side one: ST-1-2553-G26#2 Mastered by Capitol (no engineer markings) / side two: ST-2-2553-F26 #4 Mastered by Capitol 'Wally'.

Everything is hand etched except for the Mastered by Capitol stamp. If memory serves... the Wally side plays the added John tracks in true stereo. But, I'm not really sure. You have the same side 1 as my Purple label on your Rainbow label. Check the 3 added John sung tracks.. Dr. Robert, I'm Only Sleeping, And Your Bird Can Sing (that came from the UK Revolver)

Edit: I see earlier in the thread that the matrix on my late 70s Purple plays in true stereo on both sides... somebody verified it in the first few posts.

See.. the mono tape being used isn't the only problem with the Y&T cuts... its a problem with the 3 added John songs also on the "Stereo" cuts.. playing in true stereo or fake stereo.. depending on which plates are used, who cut it, and whether the copy you find has mis-matched stampers..

And.. um.. just to throw a monkey wrench into your situation... do you know that there is also an 80s Rainbow Beatles VI that plays in mono???

2. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

Yeah I've read about the "Beatles VI." Ha ha. Good grief, what a mess! So if I want the '80's mono repress of "Y&T" then I need to be on the look out for G35 and G32 in the deadwax etchings. Everyone who owns "Y&T" on this forum should just post whatever deadwax etchings their pressing has, each with the mix results so we can all try and figure this out together. Ha ha. Sort of like how we do with Frank on the Monarch thread. I'll be on the look out for the purple label, all stereo pressing too. G26 and F26. I don't think anyone has brought up results for a '70's orange label copy yet. And did anyone say there was an Apple labeled pressing that was all stereo?

3. Bootleghofner

Bootleghofner Forum Resident

BrentB likes this.
  4. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

Thanks! So only the Winchester pressing that has stampers H23 and H24 is the one with true stereo on all three tracks! I guess all the Los Angeles pressings have the duophonic mixes (I always try to buy the L.A. pressings). One of the Winchester variations proved a shocking revelation to me, and a link to the '80's rainbow label reissue that I just bought! One pressing that has the duophonic mixes on side one only is ST1-2553-B8, and it's machine stamped. My copy has the same stamping only on side two! So they used some pretty old stampers for side two of my copy.

5. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Winchester got true stereo tapes. They got theirs later than the other plants, where the others pressed what they got, in haste. Had to get the product out there. The record club division also got later true stereo tapes. Sides were mixed and matched over the years, because plates were used until they were unusable, per side, then recut.

Matty Mc likes this.
  6. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

Yeah you know now I'm actually glad I bought this '80's repress of "Y&T" because it prompted me to come to the forum, whine about it, and then get educated! Ha ha. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. In my opinion, the mono version really has the best sound when it comes to "Y&T," so I'm really going to be on the lookout for stampers G35 and G32. Yes you're right about Winchester. It does seem they are the only plant that pressed the true stereo mixes. My '80's colorband is the first one from '83 that was pressed at the Jacksonville plant. Side one stereo, side two duophonic with the really old B8 stampers.

7. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Wonder if the 2014 US CD set is true stereo. :shrug:

8. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

The 2014 US CD does, but it uses the UK stereo mixes. And I think it contains the unique US mono mixes as well, but I've read some debates on that.

9. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

Well, to my relief, I did score an original Los Angeles mono pressing on Monday. It's on it's way to me now. It might not sound as good as the '80's Specialty mono re-press, but I'm definitely happy I have a mono copy now. The search for the Specialty mono pressing is still on though! But now I'd like to find an all stereo "Wally" pressing. I know F26 is a "Wally" stamper, but that's only side two. Does anyone know a "Wally" stamper for side one?

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The C1 stereo pressing of Y&T is by far the best sounding pressing of the LP that I’ve heard. I don’t remember if Wally cut both sides.

Matty Mc likes this.
  11. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

What about the 1976 Toshiba re-issue from Japan? I've heard those sound really good. Can anyone clarify?

12. peter

peter Senior Member

A few comments:

1. The 1976 EAS JPN. Toshiba is indeed in true stereo throughout, but suffers from the overly trebly mastering of this series of JPN. LP's, although the mastering on this series, IMHO, is not as bad as some think.

2. I have never, ever found an all track true stereo Y&T on the 1983-86 color band re-issue label. All copies I have found are in MONO or have one side all stereo and the other duophonic on the relevant track(s). I have never come across a copy that had mono on one side only.

3. The true stereo Y&T I referred to earlier in this thread, with the H20 ending matrixes, is NOT an 1983-86 re-issue; it is an original 60's pre-Subsid. label copy. It could be a Columbia pressing, as someone posted earlier, so if someone could tell me how to identify those, I will check.

While pulling out some LP's that have sold in my recent posting, I have re-located this Y&T and I will try to post pics of the label this weekend.

Matty Mc likes this.
  13. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

The 2014 US CD does use the correct US mono mixes, but "I'm Only Sleeping" fades a bit early, so the "Okay Herb" that is audible on the LP is not on the CD. The stereo mixes for those three tracks are the same as the UK Revolver. (Missed opportunity, IMO.)

As an aside, all of the tape versions of Y&T (cassette, 4-track, 8-track, and reel) reportedly contain the US true stereo versions of those tracks. I went ahead and bought the cassette to end the wild goose chase for myself.

Matty Mc and John Bliss like this.
  14. John Bliss

One version of the open reel does in fact have all of the tracks in true stereo, the one issued later, in 1969. First issues have the three Revolver tracks in Duophonic. I learned that the hard way. The reels sound pretty good otherwise.

15. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Which is why I said "reportedly". I didn't actually know. Thanks for the info on the reels. I really don't know that the 4-tracks have all true stereo tracks.

The cassette does. That works for me. :)

John Bliss likes this.
  16. John Bliss

I'm going to hunt down a cassette copy as well. I like Capitol cassettes for the most part, the Beatles titles with XDR especially sound good.

Matty Mc and dlokazip like this.
  17. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

Here are the stampers for my Wally pressing:
    (Side A runout etched): ST-1-2553-G26 #2;(Side B runout etched): ST-2-2553-F26 #4; Winchester pressings. It looks like he only signed side two, though.

Matty Mc likes this.
  18. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

Oh I loved the Capitol cassettes with XDR! I eventually got rid of them, but they were really a pleasure to listen to. I remember how good "Ticket To Ride" sounded on my stereo!

19. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Correction: "Doctor Robert" is missing the "Okay Herb", not "I'm Only Sleeping".

20. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

My mom bought me the mono LP in June 66 when it was released. I admit I never heard the "Okay Herb"until someone mentioned it many many years later. Now, whenever I play it, I always hear it!

Tommyboy, Matty Mc and dlokazip like this.
  21. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

I have both the 5" and the 7" 3.75ips reels in the brown boxes and they are all true stereo. My understanding is that the 5" reel was the first release from July 1966.

Which version of the reel has the duophonic tracks?

22. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

Yeah I remember when I got the cassette of "Y&T" around 1991. Back in 1987 my mom bought me a Specialty pressed copy and it was the accidental mono, though I was only 11 and didn't know that at the time. I just know that when I got the cassette copy later, I was confused as to why the backward guitar solo on "I'm Only Sleeping" started a second later than the one on the LP.

dlokazip likes this.
  23. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Columbia pressings can be identified by a number in the runouts. Columbia Terre Haute pressings use the number 53 and Pitman pressings have 54. I'm not sure if there are any Santa Maria contract pressings or not. I've also seen Capitol pressings with the number 74 but I haven't been able to figure out which pressing plant those are from.

Matty Mc likes this.
  24. peter

peter Senior Member

Well, you certainly have sparked my interest and now that I know exactly where this LP is, I will let all know, sooner rather than later.

I must also add, it was really very joyful to hear an orig. 60's pressing of this album in true stereo. This was my first Beatles album and I am very partial to the songs on it and their order. I feel that way about Hey Jude/Again too.

25. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

My current copy of "Y&T" is stereo for side one, and duophonic for side two. Side one has etched stamper G26, and side two is the old machine stamped B8. It's the 1983 colorband label pressing from Jacksonville. You know what? I was just listening to it, and I kinda like it. I don't want to make it my sole copy by any means, and I'm very happy I scored an original mono recently. But I don't think I'll get rid of this pressing. I think I'll just buy different pressings until I have a collection of them....all duophonic, half stereo/half duophonic, and all stereo. Then I'll be satisfied....I think. Ha.

john lennonist and SteelyNJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.