Beats by Dr. Dre

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by NiceMrMustard, Aug 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

Agree. Millennials are calling BS on many conventions of the post WWII order that are indeed in line for questioning. As a “GenXer” I applaud their resolve for change.

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The funny thing to me is that the Japanese still haven't figured out how to design their headphones so they don't look like obsolete garbage from the '80s. They could have cut Beats off at the knees simply with better industrial design. Is this really so complicated?

3. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

To be fair, we also created a booming industry for brunch and avocado toast... we have some of our own BS we've created.

4. arem

arem Forum Resident

I recently got a set of Beats X Bluetooth earbuds and I have to say I'm enjoying them a lot. They pair perfectly with an iOS device and the sound is totally acceptable for on-the-go listening. Much better than the Apple Airpods.

brock, Mr. Explorer and Slimwhit33 like this.
  5. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

And fans of BOSE products. Actually, those tend to have a low-midrange boost and limited bass...

6. XentimenT

XentimenT Well-Known Member

which gen beats? cuz i heard that 1st gen was even worse than 2nd and 3rd gen. Ive seen their freq response diagram and i believe it was worse than earpods. deep bass was almost none, mids were very high and treble was also dropping very fast with freq increase.

7. Night Version

2nd gen, I think. Was t as “bloated” as people say, but not something I could live with long term.

8. XentimenT

Yeah they aren't THAT bad, but I don't like 'em. People find it weird because I listen mostly to dubstep, edm and such. I found them too bad in overall sound reproduction while some more bass isn't horrible, but I'd like if they were less bassy. Because that bass masks everything else. Not good.

9. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Same.. I needed a pair of wireless earbuds for my daily 5-6 hr commute. I wasn't expecting audiophile quality, and I didn't get it. What I did get was beyond easy connectivity to the iPhone X, extreme comfort and fit, and a very good earbud sound. Is the bass somewhat "pronounced"? Sure. But to be honest, they sound better than any other earbuds I have used.

Listen, for the home setup, Beats are not the way to go for me.. but on the go in earbud format.. no complaints.

brock likes this.
  10. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Beats are the Budweiser beer of headphones, albeit with a premium price.

My apologies to folks who enjoy Bud.

Dre' and Jimmy Iovine should be ashamed. They're smiling all the way to the bank though.

mtruslow likes this.
  11. XentimenT

I dont really think Dre and lovine are important now at all. Apple is in charge.

12. Night Version

Brunch is awesome and Acocado toast has been around forever. Can't claim either! And both are good things!

displayname likes this.
  13. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

How do they sound. I have an all-vintag vinyl rig, but my headphones are modern. That’s the one area where I haven’t dared to go. Any gain there, or pure nostalgia?

14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Beats is like Bose...or many automotive models/brands...shoes, jeans, wines, on and on and on. Speakers! Prices far higher than the product actually justifies, but "justified" by genius marketing. Beats customers (i.e. kids in particular) listen to a ton of rap so that heavy sound makes sense. Those customers have NEVER, I assure you, heard anything better. And if they did, they would say "Where's the beef?" er I mean "the BASS?"

Are you looking to buy headphones? If so what is your budget? Do you need noise cancelling? Bluetooth? Use

15. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

A girlfriend bought me a pair of executive Beats and I keep them just to not hurt her feelings. My Grados SR 60’s are a million times better at a quarter of the price.

16. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

well, while they are the best headphones i've heard to date, that probably isn't saying a whole lot, considering i've yet to have occasion to listen to even a single pair of modern Audiophile-grade cans.

i'd never be able to afford any of them anyway, and i certainly don't listen through headphones often enough to justify the outlay in any case, so Ignorance is indeed Bliss...

LitHum05 likes this.
  17. Night Version

But those Grados suck on an airplane

Rolltide likes this.
  18. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I think I had some 505s a few years ago.Didn't like them.If I recall they had no bass.

19. ronm

ronm audiofreak

IMO modern quality headphones are leaps and bounds ahead of these old 70s headphones.

20. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

Sennheiser, the one and only.....

vegafleet likes this.
  21. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

Could not, something similar be said of all the crazy priced audio and speaker cables?
    I mean, the pot calling the kettle black..:hide:

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  22. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

Wow, im not so sure.
    I have 2 old Koss phones, one from early 80s and one from mid 70s, those huge sealed pro ones, forget the exact name, and they still to this day sound great.

23. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I'm just speaking from my experience with some old Pioneer 505s I believe.One dimensional sound coming out of these.I wanted to like them though.

Higlander likes this.
  24. Night Version

Same thing for anything. People pay $4 for 10 cents worth of laundry detergent. Branding is a key to that profit equation.

25. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Owner of vintage Sennheiser HD424 here. I know they were considered revolutionary back in the 70's but compared to what's available now the inescapable conclusion is that they are not very good and requires ridiculous power to sound decent. The range of headphones sold today is such that you will find something great for you at a reasonable price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.