Beautiful listening rooms

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian Gupton, Nov 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I have no idea what is going on here but I love it

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

So many of the listening rooms have just one chair. I find that kind of depressing.

[​IMG]

3. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

Well, it is hard to take critical listening notes when doing vertical pressing shootouts with a friend trying to engage you in conversation about the music. Even worse, a significant other resting their head on your shoulder and throwing off the stereo field, thereby causing you to have to restart your Aja promo cut since you may have missed some spatial cues on the guitar solo. :agree:

4. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

We have a pretty decent listening system upstairs for company and family to enjoy. Then I have my room downstairs. It's basically a den, but outfitted for audio (room treatments, one seat, minibar, etc...). Upstairs, we have fun. Downstairs, I appreciate music to a greater degree. Keep in mind, many of the homes the featured rooms here would be in would (most likely) have a LOT more space than what is dedicated to one stereo system. If you don't have the space? One seat seems selfish. A communal space would take priority in that scenario. For those of us who have enough space for both (and my house is not large), why not?

mds likes this.
  5. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

"Does it have to be that loud?"
    Enough said...

6. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I felt like I accidentally gone to the wrong sort of web page! Never heard a room described that way before. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

7. Don Parkhurst

:winkgrin::winkgrin::winkgrin::winkgrin::winkgrin::winkgrin:

8. moops

moops Senior Member

You get the feeling that each night, ever so slowly, they are inching toward you and before you know it you've been assimilated.
    " Resistance is futile. "

9. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

I listen solo. I deploy a comfy "camp" chair or two when I rarely entertain. The real shame in quite a few of these rooms are the high-back chairs like the one in the photo above. Great for dozing off I guess.

10. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Some of them don't even seem to have a listening seat. What are you supposed to do, stand at attention?

Robert C and nitsuj like this.
  11. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Haha, that too.
    It just doesn't seem like a place I'd want to go sit and relax and listen to music in.

moops likes this.
  12. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Not quite as glamorous as the rest but it was a fun room to enjoy music.
    One of my systems from the mid 90's.[​IMG]

13. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Same room but with the front end equipment out of view, at the side.
    Check out the home made sub, LOL.[​IMG]

14. box of frogs

box of frogs Forum Resident

15. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Aren't these the bongs?
    [​IMG]

16. Macman

Macman Senior Member

You can either have rooms like this or you can have sex. You can't have both. :agree:

jonwoody, pscreed, timind and 5 others like this.
  17. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

PRECISELY!

timind, timztunz and Macman like this.
  18. John76

John76 Forum Resident

If the room is setup for active listening, there's an ideal spot to sit. 99% of the active listening done with my two systems is with me alone listening, though the seating in both rooms can accommodate more. Bless you if you have family members and friends who enjoy active listening as much as yourself.

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

if you get a couch, at least you have a shot

20. james

james Summon The Queen

not many people are interested in sitting down and listening to music in 2015. Sad. Anyone that comes into my home and asks about the stereo gear...and asks to hear it... does so standing up and/or walking around the room. My wife will join me for a few songs here and there, but that's the extent of social listening.

This is one reason I have a decent stereo in every room!

Mr Bass likes this.
  21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

These spaces are like walking into a pair of headphones. Completely immersive and solitary by design. There is a fork in the road for most people, do you bring yourself into the world of the music or do you bring the music into your world? I think a couch is a reasonable compromise to have both.

22. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Action act,

For a second, I thought I was looking at a picture of a friend's room. His room has the same side wall reflectors and the same kind of ceiling. The front of his room has a very large convex wood reflector, and the four corners have bass traps that are well hidden by being built into the walls. The room was designed by Rives. He does almost all of his listening solo, but, he does have three chairs in the room. Realistically, in a room that size, there is only one sweet spot.

The only time I heard a home setup that had an area wide enough to deliver decent imaging to more than one listener, the dedicated room was quite large--I am guessing something like 28' by 50'. When he had guests listening, he had three tiny stools, with one in front and the two to the side set in back of the one in front so that the listeners are bunched up in a small area; that is how he got three people to hear decent sound at one time. The other occasions where I heard decent off-axis sound involved MUCH larger spaces and pretty exotic setups (three Wilson Alexandrias in the front, two Maxx's for the rear channels; big MBLs in a large conference room).

trd likes this.
  23. PiratesFan

PiratesFan Forum Resident

It would suck right in the middle of the "Comfortably Numb" guitar solo if those turned into a tank to go fight the Decepticons.

trd and timztunz like this.
  24. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

I think the appropriate title for this thread should be "Dedicated Listening Rooms". Beautiful they are not.

25. Don Parkhurst

Holy diffusion panels, Batman!!

jonwoody, SandAndGlass and Gavinyl like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.