Beck - "Colors", new album in October 2017*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Groovy, Jun 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

After slagging off Beck last night, I decided to give this a listen this morning. From what I heard, I kinda like it. Too bad it's unlistenable. The drums really make some of the songs annoying. I don't know if that's the mastering or the production or both. If it's a pop album, maybe more of an attempt to create a pleasing sound?

2. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Maybe someday when she's your age, she come to appreciate it again.

3. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

I suspect that if this album came out 3 or 4 months ago a lot of the naysayers would be calling it a great Summer album. Mainstream Pop by it's very nature is temporary, and there's no telling how this album is going to hold up when Pop styles change again. For now, I think "Colors" is a fine Pop album. Just because Beck has confounded some expectations doesn't mean it isn't good. As others have said, Beck, like Bowie, has always done what he wants to do and expectations be damned. "Colors" looks to be Beck's "Let's Dance", and so far is as divisive. As long as he doesn't follow it up with Beck's "Tonight" or "Never Let Me Down" I think we'll all survive.

Question on the vinyl: I'm looking to get the single Lp version. Is it only the red that's got issues? Has anyone had problems with the yellow?

4. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

And therein lies the issue. It's "fine".

The problem isn't that it's a pop album (see the new St. Vincent record for an amazing pop record by a previously non-pop artist). The problem is it's hollow and predictable. Something Beck has never been before.

GentleSenator and Tristero like this.
  5. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I don’t do music by seasons. In fact, “great summer album” is one of my most disliked cliches. That said, Colors is all-year round bad.

KeninDC likes this.
  6. this is hipster-dad rock. like, when hipsters used to put down bands like Wilco or the National as "dad-rock", but then became dads themselves, this might be what they seek out.

i think it's a fantastic album - like, if Brian Wilson had been born in 1969.

pablorkcz likes this.
  7. Seems to be unlistenable only for some people.

theshape and fastskillfulinjured like this.
  8. PlushFieldHarpy

Dynamic range isn't exactly subjective. But, yeah, some people "don't care".

9. Yes and that's a different argument. I'm thoroughly enjoying the album and I am well aware of that.

10. PlushFieldHarpy

I'm sure it's probably salvageable on vinyl, but that doesn't help the casual listener. This is the type of album that gets dismissed subconsciously based on the poor sound.

11. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I don't relate to that. There are songs I have taken from poor sources like worn acetates, or decent but flawed audience recordings that I quite enjoy despite the poor sound. Not to mention a good share of modern recordings with similarly low DR numbers.

12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Sure, there are a lot of albums that I like despite the poor mastering but not because of it. That's where I have trouble with the "it's the artist's choice" argument. Some artistic choices are better than others.

13. PlushFieldHarpy

If you're a fan, it's easy to look past those sorts of things. But I've found that bad mastering only goes so far even if you are a fan. It might not be "unlistenable", but it's going to be a difficult listen and all the more painful if you really appreciate the music.

CrimsonPiper likes this.
  14. Again I believe this happens for you. I haven’t experienced this.

15. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Full disclosure: I'm firmly in the Odelay/Guero camp of Beck albums, and conversely was not a fan of Sea Change (so I guess I'm not a true fan-oh well). I'm loving this album! I like poppy Beck (well, poppy pretty much everything). The sonic similarities to the latest Foster The People album are startling. Yes, it's compressed. If I limited my listening to non-compressed albums I'd be missing out on a lot.

KeninDC, hamicle, pablorkcz and 2 others like this.
  16. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Whats wrong with the red vinyl version (33RPM or 45RPM)?

17. Shem the Penman

Shem the Penman Forum Resident

The Bowie comparison is perfect. And for me personally my enjoyment is about the same - I like the early stuff and then I tap out. I guess Beck has always been pop oriented in the sense that lo-fi and boom bap was "in" during his mid 90s phase. But from what I've heard the sound of this new stuff is not for me.

18. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

So...how about we shift gears and discuss...I dunno...the music? This album is killer. Top to bottom great hooks, great melodies, cool beats, great lyrics, etc. Most artists don't have this much songwriting gas left into the tank after a 25 year career. Beck should be commended on another great album to add to his list of accomplishments!

Splungeworthy and gnomby like this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The sound of this album has more to do with the style of the way it was recorded than mastering. Youre not going to "fix" the sound by some miraculous mastering. Mastering is limited as to what it can actually do.

Beck obviously wanted a more frantic hazed over "you are at the club" sound. Thats how he intended the album. Just like Bruce wanted his albums to sound like an a.m radio station. thats their choice. Some of you guys dont like that sound and want every album to sound like the mastering of a James Taylor album. I can imagine it is unlistenable to those who do. That aint this album. This aint Sea Change with acoustically based wide soundstage. The album is not unlistenable. Your ears simply want another sound and wont accept the artistic decisions made concerning "Colors".

The material and subtance of the album is another issue. Would I want every Beck album to be like this? No. But I hear plenty of quirk in the undertones. It is Beck.

20. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Great album, Up All Night an instant classic.

Turntable likes this.
  21. PlushFieldHarpy

Beck and Radiohead, pioneers of the DR4 as artistic statement.

mozz likes this.
  22. And that’s a very fair comment. It’s not for everyone and yes, like Bowie, the artist went for a specific sound that some dig and some don’t.

23. Pretty much exactly my take too.

IanL and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  24. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

The album in your avatar is a classic, this one...uh, no. This is disposable pop music written for adverts.

25. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

I Streamed the album on Tidal HiFi, I'm not sure if the CD is better but it's the first time I ever stopped an album in the middle because the sound was extremely unpleasant, very harsh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.