Beck - "Colors", new album in October 2017*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Groovy, Jun 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graham

Graham Senior Member

And some like me just think the music stinks.

Alan57 and deadcoldfish like this.
  2. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Then there's that :)

theshape and Graham like this.
  3. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

But you hangout reading forums about him? How many posters do you have of Beck hanging on your bedroom wall?

whisper3978 likes this.
  4. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I think the music on Colors stinks. I like nearly all of his other albums and have faith I’ll like some future ones. I was merely responding to the stereotype that the people who dislike this album do so because they want it to sound like his previous album. And that poster took my point, and was good natured in doing so, something you appear to struggle with.

latheofheaven and GentleSenator like this.
  5. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

it's a grower for me. the more i listen the more I like it. but the problem is: I hate the production so much I don't want to listen to the album.

6. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

That’s not hard, that single was crazy dynamic! Like DR12 or something (unless you owned the rare, levels boosted until clipping, promo CD)

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  7. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It’s Bowie’s best since Scary Monsters!

Preston and latheofheaven like this.
  8. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Way, wayyyyy too many cooks in the kitchen on this one. And the production is atrocious.

9. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

So I do like this album. I decided to see if the HD tracks version (24 bit but still 44.1 khz) is any better. Sounds about the same to me unfortunately.

The weird thing is I downloaded the AIFF version, and it sounds fine. But when I convert the tracks to FLAC about 8 second in the first track I get a weird crackling noise (almost like "diginoise"). Even when I changed the FLAC compression level is persists. I also tried going to WAV first then FLAC and the problem persisted. Both with Foobar and JRiver.

Strange. Any thoughts on what might be going on?

10. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

He pretty much recorded it with one other person.

11. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

My 45rpm version arrived today.
    Sounds great! Glad I spent the extra dollars.
    A very fun summer record.
    Saw him play a phenomenal show at Red Rocks in July (and Ween the night after- oh boy!) and it was up there with his late 90’s peak. I am really looking forward to catching him in Sydney (and fingers crossed for a Melbourne show) in February.

Preston likes this.
  12. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

I totally agree about spending the extra $$ for the 45rpm version, definately the way to go.

Preston likes this.
  13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I loved Morning Phase, but can't get into Colors.

I haven't even opened my 45 rpm vinyl, as I may want to sell it and be content with my CD. That was purchased from Newbury Comics, and came with the booklet autographed by MC Hammer - in some ways, that was the most entertaining part of this release for me.

14. I hear one or two strong songs on Colors and the rest is very ordinary. I won't be playing this much in my future Beck rotation, he's done much better.

GentleSenator and Shaddam IV like this.
  15. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Why is it autographed by MC Hammer?

16. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Anything signed by MC Hammer immediately goes up in value

theshape and jamesc like this.
  17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Initially, I remember people were asking why, and the record company responded “why not?” Or something like that.

So random it’s funny. He has nothing to do with the record, but apparently they are friends.

ODShowtime likes this.
  18. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Roger Waters pissed off a boatload of people too by not signing his name. If he signed MC Hammer that would be funny too. MC Hammer is just funny! Must be the pants.

19. OldMusicOnVinyl1

OldMusicOnVinyl1 Forum Resident

I am experiencing the same thing on my red copy. In fact, coloured vinyl or not, I find new Pallas pressings in general to be noticeably rumbly on my setup, definitely not as quiet as people make them out to be. Normally, this would be caused by a ripply 'orange-peel' surface on the vinyl... which isn't the case on any of my Pallas pressings. So I'm inclined to think that this is possibly a result of the vinyl formulation they use. In fact, since I've seen no one else complain about this issue, it could be a combination of the vinyl formulation AND the stylus I'm using (0.6 mil conical, Audio Technica ATN3600L type). I would like to try it out with a 0.7 mil stylus I have. In any case, what's your setup like?

As for the album... can't go wrong - the sound gets congested at some points, but it's no Californication - not short on bass and overall intensity despite being obviously compressed to death. The music, while lacking in Beck's trademark weirdness, is a nice new direction and a decent take on modern dance-pop. "Dreams" is a fave.

20. Michael LeRay

Michael LeRay Well-Known Member

I use a Stanton 881S/D81IIS - Shibata

21. OldMusicOnVinyl1

OldMusicOnVinyl1 Forum Resident

Interesting. Normally, I'd guess that finer stylii types like your Shibata would be well-suited for high-grade Pallas vinyl but I guess everyone's mileage may vary ;)

22. Michael LeRay

Michael LeRay Well-Known Member

My replacement copy doesn't have the noise. Maybe there were just some bad copies and we were lucky enough to get them.

OldMusicOnVinyl1 likes this.
  23. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

If anyone is interested in tickets to the Dallas show, the presale is going on now and I guessed the code correctly on my first try: colors :)

24. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

The vinyl is £11.99 on Amazon uk right now

25. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I saw the price drop and I am wondering if it is because it is not selling after initial release. Not many people I have talked to locally in Michigan really care for it all that much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.