Beck - "Colors", new album in October 2017*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Groovy, Jun 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

So I’m playing it now and it definitely sounds better on vinyl coming out of the speakers. I listened to it last week on my ipod and it sounded really compressed and distorted. It’s actually really grown on me this album. At first I was of the same opinion as a lot of others that it was lacking the quirks of Odelay or Midnite Vultures but obviously it’s a different style of album and Dear Life is a great track.

Elliottmarx and Hymie the Robot like this.
  2. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

3. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I think it is not selling well. No surprise. (sorry)

4. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Most people that I've asked for opinions from had no idea that Beck had a new album out... So, I'm not sure it's completely down to stylistic change.

5. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

This made me think of "Beck's Record Club".
    It'd be cool if he put out a box set of all those sessions on CD including a Blu-ray containing all the video albums with a 5.1 soundtrack.

6. BlueDreams

BlueDreams Well-Known Member

I'm just waiting for the summer to listen to Colors. It's not working on winter time.

oldjollymon likes this.
  7. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

You may want to listen to it first. A review of the digital files in the Absolute Sound stated that both the files (16 and 24-bit, both at 44.1 kHz) had more "slam" and separation than the CD (i.e., less compression). I would assume the 45RPM version was cut from the highest resolution file and will better the CD. YMMV.

8. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

The album is pretty hit and miss (much like Morning Phase) but that's not gonna stop me from seeing him live again on this tour. His back catalog is so incredible and he and the band bring it every time.

oldjollymon likes this.
  9. BlueDreams

There's a new Up All Night remix. It's very cool! A remix EP would be great with all the previous Dreams, WOW and UAN mixes!

10. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Decided to listen to Colors yesterday after a long break from it. Excellent record all the way through with great hooks and structure. Love Dear Life. Summer can’t get here soon enough.

11. guy1

guy1 Forum Resident

This album is fantastic, don't give up on it! Summer vibes......

12. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Was just gonna post this. Great remix!

13. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I like this Up All Night remix. Groovy. Can someone list all those different mixes that have been released from Colors?

I had a chance to listen to a vinyl rip of the album. Boy oh boy it is a big improvement. It feels a lot more airy and my ears aren't ringing after it plays

14. revolution_vanderbilt

I think I like this better than the album version. Methinks the album was ultimately overworked. Dreams is better in the single form. Even Wow is more fun in the Mexican Institute Of Sound remix. I think it's time Beck puts out a remixed version of the whole album. Colorito, anyone? :D

15. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I wonder how well Guerolito sold vs. Guero.

Moby played that game with "Play". Released it more than a few times with extra tracks, etc. It felt to me like a heavy handed way to milk the fan base.

I have the version of Colors from HD Tracks. I think they left off a remix that was on the regular CD release; but I am not sure of that.

16. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

Well, the stylistic change may be the reason why people don't talk much about the album, so other people don't know about it - and then initial response of the album may have slow down the record company to promote it

17. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

I suppose so. I mean, anything is possible really.

18. revolution_vanderbilt

There were no extra tracks on CD. Some download and streaming sites included the original single mix of Dreams as a bonus track.

originalsnuffy likes this.
  19. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I saw the show last night in Nashville. I had a good time, but the band seemed worn out and off, especially Beck himself. He missed a lot of cues and messed up lots of lyrics, and he had a hard time talking to the audience. I could also tell he was having a hard time playing the right guitar parts on his Danelectro (good thing there were 2-3 other electric guitarists on most songs!). They played over tracks throughout (same as the two shows I saw in 2014), but the mix this time was a muddy mess -- those reverby beds of pre-recorded vocals especially don't work that well when the live band isn't mixed in the same way. Wholly different band than I saw in 2014 too. Beck said it was their ninth show in 10 days -- maybe that was overkill. :)

20. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

It does hold up to repeat listenings pretty well! (Although I have some of the same complaints about the digital mastering as everyone else). Personally I hope takes the skills he developed working on this album, production-wise, and applies them to more experimental fare in the future. I know he's done groovy/poppy weirdness before (since the 90's, really), but this album feels like a step forward in terms of professionalism (but a step backward in terms of the fun quirkiness that we all love). His three 2013-14 singles (especially their long-form 12" mixes) were excellent, but not particularly accessible or tuneful. I think he can find a nexus of tunefulness and eccentricity again if he learns the right lessons from this great record.

21. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

I have started to listen to it again...

22. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I started listening to Colors again last week. This is a summer weather album. More enjoyable repeated listens. Good grooving tunes but not very intellectually fulfilling.

23. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Beck getting too mainstream? He should listen a heavy mix of Ariel (Pink) to inspire his next project.

Just an opinion...

GentleSenator likes this.
  24. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

I just noticed a deluxe version was recently released in Japan on August 15th. And it comes with his first ever live DVD release!

COLORS JAPAN DELUXE EDITION

CD

1. Colors
    2. Seventh Heaven
    3. I'm So Free
    4. Dear Life
    5. No Distraction
    6. Dreams
    7. Wow
    8. Up All Night
    9. Square One
    10. Fix Me

(BONUS TRACKS)
    11. UP ALL NIGHT x DAOKO
    12. Wow (GUAU! Mexican Institute Of Sound Remix)
    13. Wow (TOKiMONSTA Remix)

DVD

Live At Shinkiba Studio Coast
    1. Devil's Haircut
    2. Black Tambourine
    3. New Pollution
    4. Think I'm In Love
    5. Mixed Bizness
    6. Qué Onda Guero
    7. Go It Alone
    8. Nausea
    9. Lost Cause
    10. Heart Is A Drum
    11. Girl
    12. Colors
    13. Wow
    14. Dreams
    15. Up All Night
    16. Loser
    17. E-Pro

(BONUS CONTENT)
    UP ALL NIGHT x DAOKO (Music Video)
    Beck x DAOKO (Talk & Backstage)
    Fix Me (Music Video)
    Fix Me (Music Video Backstage)

25. BlueDreams

I want this deluxe CD! The case is extactly the same as the deluxe vinyl! But very pricey. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.