Beck - the LPs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lil.fred, Mar 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lil.fred

lil.fred SeƱor Sock Thread Starter

Can any Beck-er here tell me which, if any, of the LP issues were all-analog and might be worth getting? I think every album thru (and not including!) Sea Change was an LP at some time.

2. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I have his previous 3 LPs (and some 12 inch singles), but I can't tell you for sure if they are all analog. I like them. I have his first one on CD. ( Sorry, I know I'm not helping).
    I haven't bought Sea Change yet because I'm still waiting for the LP.
    Am I waiting in vain?

BC

3. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I have the Odelay LP (and "Jack-ass" 12-inch single) and, while I can't definitively state whether or not it's all-analog, I think it's fantastic on vinyl. I definitely prefer it to the CD.

Are those older Beck LPs still in print? I went looking for Mutations on vinyl not long ago and was unsuccessful.

4. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

I'm not sure if Sea Change will be out on vinyl, but I severely doubt it. I've just checked my SACD and it is 52:26 long. That length doesn't really fit onto a single vinyl album, at least not without sonic compromises. The SACD (in stereo) sounds great anyway.

5. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Most of the Beck vinyl was issued through Bong Load Records, which seems to be MIA.

All of his albums except the first glorified demo cassette, Golden Feelings,, and most recent, Sea Change, were at least at one time available on vinyl. Look around some, and you can probably still find Mellow Gold even with the unknown status of Bong Load.

There also were 12-inch singles of several tracks and a 7-inch DGC single of "Loser."

6. ivor

ivor Senior Member

I can't imagine that it was all-analog, but I've heard that the vinyl Midnite Vultures blows the CD away... similar story for Odelay.

7. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Maybe, maybe not, who cares? Go out and buy the cd now! Or better yet, buy a SACD player and get the SACD.

I'm a vinyl guy, but I fell in love with the cd. That being said, the SACD leaves nothing more to be desired, it's awesome. (I've only heard the 2 channel.)

8. nin

nin Forum Resident

I have all studio albums Beck have released on vinyl. I have not compared them to the CD's but I have heard from many that both Odelay and Mutations vinyl sounds better than the CD.
    Mutations are AAA but I don't know if they cut it analogue or not.
    From what I have heard all Beck albums except Midnite Vultures are at least recorded and mixed in analog.

I think it's to bad that Sea Change is not released on vinyl. It's a AAA record god damn it! :realmad:

9. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

According to Fremer Sea Change will not see vinyl, bummer.

I too have all the Beck studios and the quality is very high. Mutations is one of my favorites. It doesn't really matter if its all analogue or not, the bottom line is that they sound very good.

10. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Eventually, Sea Change will be on vinyl. Just like everything else, it too will have its time, though we may have to wait until it becomes a "classic".

Mutations on vinyl is absolutely much better than the CD. This is not subtle at all. The vinyl is much more warm, natural, and it was a very good value ($14 I think). I think they all came with a bonus 45 single too.

As for Odelay, that one's a tough call IMO. It's not nearly as striking as the difference with Mutations. But you have to have the larger format if for nothing but the artwork. Little tiny CD-sized art does this one no justice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.