Bee Gees - Cucumber Castle & Trafalgar Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jos79, May 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jos79

Jos79 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I really really love Odessa but the next two albums the Gibb brothers released don't fall very far behind.

I have seen some comments about Trafalgar on this forum but not so many about Cucumber Castle.

What do you guys think about this two albums?

A reissue of both of them by the people at Reprise/Rhino would be great and definitely I'll buy it even though I have good copies of both. Add Robin's Reign too.

Do you see that happening?

ZackyDog likes this.
  2. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

Trafalgar is one the most amazing albums. So dark, majestic. Oh, the pain!

Maurice Gibb: the master of piano chording.

3. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I love Trafalgar.......very beautiful record. I especially love "It's Just The Way."

I don't have Cucumber Castle.

4. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I love them both. The MFSL gold CD of Trafalgar is excellent BTW.

JeffMo, Lightworker, Scope J and 2 others like this.
  5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Not to nitpick too much, but actually TWO YEARS ON followed CUCUMBER CASTLE, then TRAFALGAR.

CASTLE is imo the weakest LP the Bee Gees released in their 1967-1980 heyday, but I do cut it some slack as Robin's gone. One listen to "My Thing" however and you can practically smell Barry & Maurice running on fumes ("bowzey wow wowzey" anyone?). Praise Jebus Robin was back for TWO YEARS ON.

TRAFALGAR otoh is one of the most stunningly beautiful releases by anyone, ever. The MFSL is a "cold, dead fingers" disc for me.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  6. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I really like them both, immensely, but 'To Whom It May Concern' is my favourite.

7. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I have been completing my Bee Gees collection (slowly) but I still don't have either of these LPs. I recently bought 2 Years On and To Whom It May Concern and really enjoy those. To Whom... has an amazing gatefold cover.

Scott

Matt Ellers, Folknik and JeffMo like this.
  8. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

I like both albums. On my "Bee Gees 1969-72" playlist I include "I Lay Down and Die" and "Turning Tide" from Cucumber Castle, and "When Do I", "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart", "Somebody Stop the Music", "Walking Back to Waterloo", and "Trafalgar" from Trafalgar, alongside a few songs from Two Years On and To Whom It May Concern, plus several from Robin's Reign (speaking of which, I'm looking forward to the new Robin collection coming out next week, including this, and much more).

9. AleixST

AleixST Forum Resident

Any love for Don't wanna live inside myself?Just heartbreakingly stunning.

bhazen, 3Dman, Jarleboy and 7 others like this.
  10. Jos79

Yeah. Robin came back for Two Years as the boys warmed for the beautiful Trafalgar.

But imo I always look as Odessa/Cucumber/Trafalgar as the forgotten trilogy of The Bee Gees event if Robin wasnt present in Cucumber and Two Years falled in between them

11. Jos79

Yes. One of the best to me. Theres no bad song on Trafalgar and the B side is glorious

Joti Cover and JeffMo like this.
  12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Great dark gems.

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Seems like every copy I see has the popup missing.

14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Cucumber Castle has a real country vibe to it, which I didn't like when I was younger but love now that I'm 47! It sounds unique in that respect compared to the rest of the catalog, even though some songs are subpar.

Trafalgar on the other hand is a great and consistent album throughout!

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    Jos79 likes this.
  15. ConstructionBoy

ConstructionBoy Well-Known Member

Best CD version of Trafalgar besides MFSL?

16. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

If you want forgotten, look no further than TO WHOM/TIN CAN/MR. NATURAL :agree: In my fevered fantasies Rhino follows up SAVED BY THE BELL with a TWO IN THE PANTS box set :nyah:

Jos79 likes this.
  17. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

I have the first 4 Bee Gees albums and numerous compilations. I recently asked a friend/Bee Gees fan while we were music shopping if I'd like Cucumber Castle. He thought I would, so I bought a copy. I was listening to it on the way to work a few days later and "The Lord" came on. I probably listened to that song 15 times over the course of the day. I enjoyed the whole album. I was really young when I heard my aunt's copy of Trafalgar. I need to pick that up next.

On a related note, I'm in the midst of moving, and took a break from packing the other night to see if all the pieces of the two 36-year-old Bee Gees puzzles I have were all still in the boxes. Amazingly, they were. I probably hadn't put them together since 1980 or 1981.

[​IMG]

JayNYC, JeffMo, rxcory and 4 others like this.
  18. kennynd

kennynd Forum Resident

IMHO If Only I Had My Mind On Something Else might be their best song-and it only made #91 on Billboard

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  19. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Love them both. The heart of the BG's 1st decade main era.

20. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I had no idea they released something called Cucumber Castle so now I am curious, I'll have to check it out.

rstamberg likes this.
  21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I have the Polydor issue of Cucumber Castle. I've also played 'The Lord' several times in a row.
    Kinda like what I've done with 'Marley Purt Drive' from Odessa.
    I haven't had 'Trafalgar' since I owned it on vinyl back in the 80s.

Darryl

22. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident

I love "Trafalgar" and "Cucumber Castle". I'm a huge early Bee Gees fan. In fact, "Trafalgar" is my favorite album of theirs.

Joti Cover and Jos79 like this.
  23. Jos79

The Lord has that country vibe Jeffmo789 was mentioning a few posts above

That song is between two of those glorious ballad they used to made "Then You Left Me" and "I Was The Child". Those two are as good as some on the B side of Trafalgar

Then it comes another good one " I Lay Down And Die".

Cucumber is as least as good as Trafalgar. Sadly Robin left, it only could be better with him around

JeffMo likes this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Strangely, the title track was on Bee Gees 1st, which is when the idea of the film first came about. For some reason it didn't happen for a few years and by then the group was down to two. I had this cd on in the home office yesterday and it was nice to work with in the background.

Today I'm going to follow up with Two Years On and Trafalgar!

Jos79 likes this.
  25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I currently have the Japanese reissue from 2013 (legit copy from Reprise - be aware there are many fakes in the marketplace). It sounds good and is highly crankable since it has not been remastered (at least to my ears). I don't have the MFSL or the original US cd to compare with though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.