Bee Gees On Capitol...somewhat depressing read from CNBC.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lorin, Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member Thread Starter

George McClellan and kyletx500 like this.
  2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I’m not sure the overall plan does not include vinyl and a proper album by album release schedule. I sure hope they do it right.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  3. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Actually, I wish Barry stayed with Rhino...they were doing a real remastering/expanding/reissuing campaign with their catalog, but since moving to Capitol, there hasn't been much going on at all for the loyal fans to get pumped about, even though Capitol keeps issuing various statements from time to time about how important the Bee Gees music is, and that they plan to do some special things and will be very careful with this amazing catalog, etc?

Capitol's reissuing program has been a major disappointment so far...two separate SNF reissues, and it wasn't even newly remastered? As far as I can tell, only the TIMELESS 1CD comp was newly remastered and the audio on that was a mixed bag too. So far, the Mythology 4CD boxed set hasn't been reissued either, and neither has the excellent The Warner Years 5CD set.

The only recent Capitol related release is the new Andy Gibb comp, but that has less tracks than the Andy Mythology disc.

Rick Bartlett, art, kyletx500 and 2 others like this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The Capitol deal has been disappointing so far. I hope Barry and the record company do something to improve the situation.

kyletx500 and Futurecity like this.
  5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Right...Rhino would do it properly.

Sometimes the money wins over the legacy

Boxy, longdist01 and Futurecity like this.
  6. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

It sounds like Capitol/Universal have no idea what to do here.... sad....

7. Futurecity

I'm not sure exactly what's going on with Capitol and why Barry left Rhino, but it's possible Barry has some 'say' on what Capitol can release or not, which would be bad for the fans actually?

I'm glad I picked up as many of the Rhino releases that I could, but I don't have them all. I just recently found and bought the Mythology 4CD set in order to acquire the Maurice and Andy discs, as I was afraid Capitol might not reissue it.

Boxy likes this.
  8. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

It was a shame that we only got the deluxe treatment from Rhino on 1st, Horizontal, Idea and Odessa. Those were great! Stereo, mono, unreleased tracks...

Emilio, Dennis Metz, Boxy and 8 others like this.
  9. Futurecity

Well, The Warner Years 5CD set definitely came close to being 'Deluxe' as well...ESP and One contained bonus tracks and the One For All Concert 2CD was the gem of the set actually!

10. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

True, the One For All Concert 2CD was cool.

11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

What took you so long to get the Andy and Mo discs? I waited years to get the amazing "Arrow Through The Heart" after hearing a snippet on VH1 Behind The Music in late 90s.

12. Futurecity

Well, I had passed on Mythology when it first came out in 2010 and even passed on the 2012 reissue in the 4CD jewel case because I had since picked up the Bee Gees Greatest and Ultimate 2CD sets, plus, the Barry and Robin Mythology discs never really interested me, but since Capitol hasn't reissued it, I thought I better track down a copy of Mythology now, before it's too late, as I always did want the Maurice and Andy discs.

13. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

The Mythology boxset is now going for exorbitant sums last time I looked on eBay and Amazon.

14. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

That mythology set was really cheap on its initial release

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The Barry and Robin discs were disappointing (and insulting) to long-term fans with zero rarities. I wish they had consulted with me or another big fan about those track lists!

Boxy and granata like this.
  16. htbomb

htbomb Hot Rod

I'd like to hear some demos and/or works in progress. Currently enjoying Graham Nash's Over The Years on Apple Music: nice pairing of greatest hits with demos.

17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The Rhino reissues of the first four albums did a nice job of including alternate versions and demos.

side3, sewerdog and LSP2003 like this.
  18. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Rhino would HAVE DONE it right, had they done it in the mid-90s.

raphph likes this.
  19. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Yes! 2 excellent box sets.

LSP2003 likes this.
  20. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Duets, TV Ads???? Why not just reissue "Main Course" on CD and LP with some bonus tracks and behind-the-scenes liner notes?

21. Futurecity

I bought a brand new and sealed copy recently directly from Warner Music Australia...they were actually selling it online and the total price, including shipping to the U.S. was just under $30!

22. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

My understanding is that Barry is a perfectionist, so the logjam may in fact be due to him. He's also still under contract with Sony (I believe) as a solo artist, so that may be causing some problems too. It seems weird that Capitol would spend whatever millions of dollars they did to own the catalog and then do nothing with it though.

Paul Getsey and Boxy like this.
  23. Massproductions

Massproductions Forum Resident

So whats the best sounding saturday night fever on CD? I have the 1995 Polygram Single CD, which was a remaster, it sounds "okay" but not quite right, a bit sterile. I've listened to the Bee Gee's cuts on the Mobile Fidelity CD and it has a much warmer sound to it, more like I was used to from the original Vinyl pressing on RSO. I guess it's been remastered again for CD and vinyl on the Reprise label, but my guess is it's brickwalled. Any input on the best release so far?

24. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Rhino's reissue campaign essentially died with Odessa, imho, and very little of additional value was released after that. We had already in '08 gotten a tast of things to come when they dropped Number Ones, Best of Bee Gees, Best of Bee Gees vol 2 and Love Songs within a few months. Some of us were racking up titles of which old comp was next up on the reissue list.

The saving grace for Ultimate Bee Gees (2009) was the DVD with a selection of their promo clips, well, that and some of the mono mixes that were left off the 1967-1968 box set but those had already gotten a CD release in '89.
    Mythology (2010) was another wasted effort apart from the few previously unreleased tracks and the first time on CD release of "Hold Her in Your Hand". I would have liked to have "I've Come Back" in there as well as "This Time" along with Andy's very first single. Those still remain missing in action on CD to this day . The box set was essentially Barry's pet project.
    Warner Bros Years 1987-1991 (2014) was equally if not more of a disappointment as it was just the albums propped up with a few single edits, remixes, the odd non-album track and that one lone demo from the Tales set. On top of that they managed to shorten "The Longest Night" on the E.S.P album. The vault was now welded firmly shut with the lone exception of the alternate mix of "Shape of Things to Come" which may have been used in error. The One For All 2-CD set was not really something new. Remixed, yes. but it had been released across at least three home video formats before and a European company had beaten them to the CD release years before due to EU laws pertaining to live recordings (which is also why we have seen Storytellers and Soundstage 1975 getting the same treatment).
    1974-1979 (2015) was the last and entirelly void of value as it had nothing we hadn't had before.

We would have gotten the You Should Be Dancing comp out in 2015 as well until they cancel it (some CDs has gotten out in the wild though).

Barry said himself in an interview in an online interview some years back that he would only put out unreleased material out if he thought they were good enough. He has pretty much stayed true to that course and I doubt the catalogues tenure with Capitol will be any different than it was in the latter years with Rhino. I hope I'm wrong since I like to have some of that live material from Spirits Having Flown out on BD/DVD and/or CD if they intend to do a 40th anniversary edition of that next year. I just won't hold my breath for it!

phillyal1, granata, Boxy and 2 others like this.
  25. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes the whole thing is insane. However it's not a huge surprise as Capitol is not the brightest of the major labels. They put out a SNF box set and then use the 1995 remaster. Usually when a box set like that comes out the album will be newly remastered and not just use the mastering from 20 years ago. The whole thing doesn't make sense to me at all.

Boxy and Futurecity like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.