Bee Gees "One For All Tour" Blu-Ray - Coming Feburary 2 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kyletx500, Dec 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyletx500

kyletx500 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Posted today on the Bee Gees twitter page:
    "The Bee Gees: One For All Tour Live In Australia is available to order at http://smarturl.it/beegees1989 . This release captures their ‘One for All World Tour’ celebrating the bands 18th studio album, ‘One’ -- on DVD, SD Blu-ray and digital by Eagle Rock Entertainment on 2/2/18."

I was so happy to see this that I pre-ordered it on amazon.com immediately. As much as I love the One Night Only concert, I enjoy One For All even more. Though I'm slightly disappointed that it's an "SD" blu-ray like the last release, the increase in audio quality alone will likely be worth it when compared to my old laserdisc copy. Plus, I thought the "One Night Only" blu-ray had surprisingly good video for being a 4:3 standard definition source.

I'm sure I'm not the only one excited for this release!

2. kyletx500

Here's the cover art for the blu-ray:
    [​IMG]

CrazyCatz, keyXVII, Jarleboy and 8 others like this.
  3. kyletx500

And here's the laserdisc for comparison:
    [​IMG]

4. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

This will be an instant purchase for me and I like the audio on the 2CD set from The Warner Years (Rhino) as well...this concert is much better than ONO and they were still in their prime vocally during the ONE tour.

5. kyletx500

I agree! I also have the CD from the Warner set and it sounds fantastic. They also didn't overdub some of the performances in this concert like they did on ONO.

6. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Yes, Rhino really did an outstanding job with the audio on the 2CD set and the performances and vocals are a treat! This concert has the full version of Nights On Broadway and their vocals on Stayin' Alive almost mirror their '77 voices...well, close enough for me...:)

7. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Much like One Night Only this was also shot on video so it was never going to get a proper HD release no matter what. John Merchant stated he wasn't happy with his original mix for the home video release so did a new mix in 5.1 for this release. Technically, as far as I can recall, the recording equipment used at the venue topped out at 16-bit/44.1 so I wouldn't expect any actual high res audio (they may still use DTS-HD MA as a container though).

Jarleboy, granata and kyletx500 like this.
  8. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

This is great. Automatic pre-order.

Jarleboy and kyletx500 like this.
  9. kyletx500

I suspected that was the reason for the SD video quality. I'm glad to hear that they've done a new audio mix, even if it isn't "high-res". My laserdisc copy sounds good to me, but I'm sure there's room for improvement. I'm interested to hear it in surround.

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Fantastic! Definitely going to get this! :uhhuh:

11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I wore out the VHS cassettes back in the day!

12. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Pre-ordered!

I have been waiting for this release for years. In fact, I was just watching my homemade DVD-R rip of the laserdisc (eminently watchable, but still lacking in terms of picture quality) when I spotted this thread. Such a fantastic performance, when the brothers looked and sounded great, and it was beautifully filmed (well, shot on video) and edited. Not sure why John Merchant doesn't like his original audio mix. Although I think his more recent mix, used for the CD version included in The Warner Years box, sounds great, I think I prefer the original mix as heard on the laserdisc. I recorded it to Minidisc a while back, and it's in my regular-listening rotation:

[​IMG]

I'm really looking forward to the brand new surround mix and the improved picture quality on the BluRay!

Here's the video trailer for the new release:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  13. kyletx500

Very cool! I love the custom minidisc artwork. I also haden't seen the trailer yet, so thanks for sharing it with us!

14. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

If that trailer is any indication, the new release will be presented in its original aspect ratio and not cropped at the top and bottom for today’s flat-screen sets, which is good.

Jarleboy, longdist01 and kyletx500 like this.
  15. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

looks and sounds great! i'll wait for you guys' expert reviews before I 'click' to buy.

16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

About the only reason I still have my laserdisc player is for that one concert. I was at both the ONO and One For All and felt One For All was far, far better though I'm glad to have both. I was kind of appalled at Barry's voice at the Vegas ONO concert. It was on it's way out by then, but OFA it's fantastic still and they looked like they were having a lot more fun then. The OFA dvd is about the worst one I've ever seen, and it was a very early dvd release in general when a lot of them looked bad. A very welcome release for sure!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Totally agree that the laserdisc audio mix is perfect. I also bought a bootleg DVD a few months ago not knowing it was when ordered, and it's actually outstanding. It appears they had access to the masters as the audio was recoded for Dolby Digital and the picture is also better. I have a feeling this official release will look and sound about the same. And I wonder...it's possible what I got is a bootleg early release! That would explain a lot as I had no idea how they could have pulled this off. But, I'm sure an employee at the studio could have made a copy, who knows. Everyone will be happy if it's what I already have, but I ordered an official copy anyway.

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm looking forward to watching this and the Super Bowl this weekend!

Jrr and Jarleboy like this.
  19. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for posting about this release, will be great to have a copy!

Jrr and Jarleboy like this.
  21. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I have been anxiously awaiting this release since I read about it on the Bee Gees website. Before that... Well, I have been waiting for a proper release since I made the mistake of exchanging my Laserdisc version for a crappy DVD one. The concert is GREAT, and it deserves a great presentation.

I´m keeping my fingers crossed, and I can hardly wait to see it again.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    JeffMo, Jrr and Hadean75 like this.
  22. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

The link dosn't list the 'track list'?

23. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

I've only ever seen YouTube videos of this concert so this release is very exciting. :agree:

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I don´t usually make idle promises, but I think I can promise that you won´t be disappointed by the musical content. The presentation remains to be seen and heard, but this is the Bee Gees at their very best. And that´s saying quite a bit.

25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You are in for a real treat. I have what I guess is a bootleg, but it sounds amazing as did the laserdisc. You are going to be very happy with this. The camera work is beautiful (this was recorded before the trend started where you get one second of a shot and then it jumps to another shot...I can't stand that with concerts). So, nice camera work and perfect sound imo. Ironic as the previous DVD is beyond terrible in that department, and the video image is very pixelated and awful. This was one of the first concerts issued on DVD so they were still finding their way in improving the quality. Why it has taken so long to do it right is beyond me, as I believe their concerts do sell well on DVD. I am confident because I believe I already have a copy! I don't know where it was remastered, but I would bet someone made a direct copy of it when it was done...the timeline would make sense since I have not had it that long. I saw it on eBay and noticed it was different, so I just assumed it was an updated version. The art was impeccably done, and it has the Dolby Digital log on it and it does sound amazing. I believe you have to have the masters to get it to sound like this, and to encode it correctly. So, assuming it is of this calibur all of you will be quite happy.

There is one of those luck, magical shots the camera guy got that I think is the best moment of concert footage I've ever seen. The camera guy is off stage, or sitting on the stage, below Robin. The camera is almost looking straight up at Robin. He looks down at the camera, and obviously smiles at those of us watching. Wow...especially now that he's gone. The video is so good, in fact, that I kept my laserdisc player just so I could continue to watch the concert as the DVD was so lousy. So Jarleboy, that was one mistake among a ton I've made, that I didn't make!! I just saw a copy of this on laserdisc at a used store for $12. Made me sad....it is worth so much more to me than that!

I hope all of you will report back what you think. I ordered one too.

keyXVII, longdist01, Jarleboy and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.